Street Fighter V

Brushfire

On 2/27/2016 at 7:19 PM, Sir_NutS said:

My fightpad (same as Darke's, above) works on both PC and PS4.  Although for the time being, you have to use a workaround to get it to work, because support for directinput is not there yet.  The link Darkesword posted works perfectly and it's what I'm using.  If you decide to come please add me and let me know.  I have a feeling I'll be playing this game for the following years to come.  Unless Overwatch takes all of my playing time, that is.

I went full fight stick in 2007 and i'll never go back.  Much easier to be consistently accurate with the inputs and vastly increases thumb longevity when you use the dead weight of your arm and minimal wrist movements to control the stick. It takes some practice to get used to and its a much higher initial investment but it's well worth it. 

Trying to find out now if one of the sticks Hori made for the PS4 also works on the PC.  Even if it requires a workaround like controller mk i'm ok with it since everything should be digital anyways. At worst though I guess i can suck it up and go with a madcatz stick... if i have to... 

It'll be a few more weeks until I get the game.  In the process of buying a new audio pc (That also plays games!).  once it gets built i'll have a better idea of when i can join in but i will definitely be keeping my eye on the game.  

Edit: Found the perfect PC/PS4 stick! Releases March 1

http://stores.horiusa.com/real-arcade-pro-4-kai-for-playstation-4/

1 hour ago, Garpocalypse said:

I went full fight stick in 2007 and i'll never go back.  Much easier to be consistently accurate with the inputs and vastly increases thumb longevity when you use the dead weight of your arm and minimal wrist movements to control the stick. It takes some practice to get used to and its a much higher initial investment but it's well worth it. 

Trying to find out now if one of the sticks Hori made for the PS4 also works on the PC.  Even if it requires a workaround like controller mk i'm ok with it since everything should be digital anyways. At worst though I guess i can suck it up and go with a madcatz stick... if i have to... 

It'll be a few more weeks until I get the game.  In the process of buying a new audio pc (That also plays games!).  once it gets built i'll have a better idea of when i can join in but i will definitely be keeping my eye on the game.  

Maybe it's because I main grapplers, but I feel like I have better precision with a pad. The whole 360' motion. I will say, shoulder buttons can be a bit annoying.

Adjusting to Ziefs air SPD has been a bit rough though.The move gives him so many new options and ways to deal with air pressure.

Capcom swear vengeance on people that abuse their clearly well thought out ranking system:

"Yes, we are well aware of the problem of players disconnecting before the match ends to retain their League Points and their win streaks. Thanks to all of the players who have brought this to our attention.

We are working on a permanent solution to this problem, though we don't have an exact date to share with you at the moment. That said, we are going to take direct action starting next week to punish those players who are abusing the system."

On 2/29/2016 at 6:19 AM, Bleck said:

on the one hand, I get that

on the other hand, who the hell is buying Street Fighter just to play Arcade Mode in fucking 2016

I get your point, but I can't deny that some people do buy fighting games for arcade mode.  Or at least, that's what it appears to be.  I know the internet tends to bitch and blow things out of proportion, and that most of this people shitting on capcom because the lack of arcade mode don't really even care, but I know at least one friend who really thinks that way.  Why would anyone want to buy a competitive game to not play competitively? I dunno.  But apparently the need is there.  But its like buying a super mario game, and then bitching because the story sucked.

Hindsight is 20/20, so I guess capcom should've made story mode have 6 or 7 filler matches instead of the 3 or 4 they have, to make these people happy, and proceed with their goal, which is to build a street fighter online service that would get updated at a better rate than before and with good netcode.  I say that they are already doing a great job at it and the future of sfv looks very bright, and I can't wait to see how it evolves over time.

BTW I've got some people on my favorites list already but I'm still looking for challengers, so add me! FID: Macronaso

So after spending some time with the game over the past few days, I think I'm enjoying it a lot more. I can't speak to the PS4 experience since I'm on PC, but other than the controller issue and fullscreen not outputing properly to 60hz on my TV screen (48" 4k Samsung LED whoo!) which I eventually found a workaround for, the game is performing very well, and all my matches online have been super stable for the most part. For reference, I'm on a wireless connection to my router on the opposite corner of the floor beneath me, with several wireless devices connected to my system. On the subject of online matches, I'm really happy at how well crossplay works between PC and PS4. If it weren't for the little icon next to a player's name, I'd never have known the difference. Bravo Capcom for that feature, and bravo for unifying the PC and console communities with that one.

In regards to my actual matches, I've been using Karin as my main, and she has a lot of tools to really get in there with some mixups, and I really like "tactical" feel with the game. Ono originally wanted SFIV to be more about strategy and less about execution, but I feel like he delivered more with SFV. The bringing back of the stun gauge really does give you a lot more info in regards to whether you should push the attack or hold back a bit. I really like how all the characters seem to be a lot stronger and can do a lot of damage easily, but matches can easily go either way even if your health is down to half without feeling cheap. I feel rewarded when I'm able to either read or bait opponents into making mistakes, and it feels awesome.

I haven't had too much time to get into it, but I'm excited to see how the game evolves with new characters being released at regular intervals (gimme my Ibuki/Juri!!). I forgot what my CFN ID was, but my Steam ID is Malakhim3(which I think is my CFN), so if I'm online, don't be a stranger.

Visited the family's house, played my brother's copy all day today.

It seems like Capcom put a *lot* of R&D into the control input in Street Fighter V. Combos fly a lot easier, with sloppier circle input tolerance. I think this is a good way to make fighting games accessible, so Capcom done really good with this one.

Because really; if you're hung up on being able to throw a Hadouken reliably you can't really enjoy what the game is about. I've never really been great at Street Fighter, and all of my problems were when I tried to do something and what happened on screen didn't agree with the commands I put into the controller.

While Street Fighter V is much faster-paced, and the hits are harder and the whiffs are more punishing, I've never felt so in control of what's happening to my character on the screen. No more frame-linking BS, no more "but I quarter circled". I daresay it's *easy*; not easy to beat people, but easy to control your character, input your decisions and watch them happen on the screen.

A+, Capcom, A+. Add Yang to this game, and I will never play Third Strike (currently what I consider the best fighting game) ever again.

On another note, I previously approached the whole "content wars" debate with a bit of bipartisan thought; I can see why the lack of content makes people upset, but also it's silly to want single player modes in a fighting game. After actually sitting down with the game for many hours today, I've gone fully unappreciative of peoples' complaints. It's an amazing fighting game, with really accessible execution difficulty and a great cast of starter characters. It's worth its price more than Street Fighter IV was, a game with supposedly miles more of content, story mode, etc..

My only urge to play by myself was to try and figure out combos and moves; training mode was all I needed. I set the CPU to highest difficulty (Ken, of course), and let the hell ensue. I plan to do this for a few hours a day once I get my hands on my own copy. I don't need superfluous stories to practice, I just need to sit in the game without any interruptions (KO's, timeouts, etc.)

EDIT: Furthermore, I've now resolved to calling this game Fifth Strike.

3 hours ago, Neblix said:

Add Yang to this game, and I will never play Third Strike (currently what I consider the best fighting game) ever again.

BLASPHEMY

Still, I can't wait to get in depth with SFV once I own Windows or PS4. I got to play Rashid for a brief couple of minutes in beta, but not for enough time to really know what I was doing.

The lack of modes in a competitive fighting game isn't an issue if the engine itself plays well. As long there's a versus mode and training mode, we gravy.

6 hours ago, Neblix said:

It seems like Capcom put a *lot* of R&D into the control input in Street Fighter V. Combos fly a lot easier, with sloppier circle input tolerance. I think this is a good way to make fighting games accessible, so Capcom done really good with this one.

That part is definitely true. some combos are just easier to pull off now, and I feel like I can pull off the phantom Punch/Kick executions better since they eased up on the button precision.

13 hours ago, Bleck said:

see but that'd probably mean also adding Yun and like I'd prefer this game stay balanced, you know?

This game isn't balanced so long as Ryu and Ken can interrupt perfectly reasonable combos with a button mashed wake-up shoryuken and face no recovery repercussions for failing to land a hurricane kick. :<

21 hours ago, k-wix said:

I'm actually really curious to see where Ryu and Ken end up on a competitive level - this is the weakest the 'Shoryuken' has been in the series.... Ryu's parry is pretty gimmicky at best and Ken doesn't seem that amazing either. I don't have much trouble with either of them as Zangief.

I don't see the parry as gimmicky, in fact it's easier to execute now than it was in Third Strike, now that it doesn't require forward movement (expressly walking into an attack instead of blocking it), can be mashed (trying to mash parry in Third Strike makes you just go forward a bunch) and can still parry multiple hits in a row. It's kind of something you can just intentionally "do" now instead of only having it work when you actually land it.

I'd also agree that parrying is much more accessible in this iteration. Parrying in Third Strike always seemed like (and usually was) a high-level technique that I'd never have the skill to use effectively. That's a totally different story in SFV, though I haven't figured out how to use it as an offensive tool other than trying to mixup an opponent after they get knocked down. I appreciate the balancing as well, since you can't use it without a bar of meter, so it can't be spammed indiscriminately. 

On 3/7/2016 at 0:45 PM, Neblix said:

I don't see the parry as gimmicky, in fact it's easier to execute now than it was in Third Strike, now that it doesn't require forward movement (expressly walking into an attack instead of blocking it), can be mashed (trying to mash parry in Third Strike makes you just go forward a bunch) and can still parry multiple hits in a row. It's kind of something you can just intentionally "do" now instead of only having it work when you actually land it.

I actually think I disagree with almost all of these points...

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/jan/12/why-im-not-currently-impressed-ryus-parry-street-fighter-5/

This is a pretty good write up of it, but the biggest problem is that it's just not safe. If you wiff a parry in 3rd Strike by mistiming, there is a very small window where you are sliding your thumb back to block where you might get hit.

In SFV, there are frames of animation that you get locked into... This is really, really bad - it makes the move very dangerous to use. You can even be counter hit if you mistime it poorly. I think it's simply to risky.

13 hours ago, Bleck said:

a move is not bad by virtue of requiring intelligence to use efficiently

I think what he's saying is that the advantages gained by taking the risk to use the move are not really worth the risk and that there are more optimal move sets to use that yield better results in most cases. As the article noted, even if you do land the parry, what does that gain you? A Shoryuken, *maybe*.

Parries were much stronger in Third Strike because they were faster and they were guaranteed reversals that linked (correct me if I'm wrong). In SFV, it doesn't seem to be the case.

7 minutes ago, Neblix said:

I think what he's saying is that the advantages gained by taking the risk to use the move are not really worth the risk and that there are more optimal move sets to use that yield better results in most cases. As the article noted, even if you do land the parry, what does that gain you?

There are benefits to landing one successfully, there are some limited uses, and I don't think the move is bad - not at all - in general and online play, sure - but when you face an opponent who knows the game inside and out - I strongly feel like the move is just too dangerous to use. And I was more curious if we will see any Ryu or Ken in high-level tournament play - I feel like they are in rough shape. Will be curious to see how they evolve.