Dance Dance Revolution / Beatmania - Sync

Tonalysis

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

Great arragnement!

PRODUCTION

[X] Too quiet

The mix looks slightly quiet. It sounds great relative to itself, but it might sound quiet if it was played alongside other tracks with a more typical mix.

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

Nothing to complain about here. Great use of delays and modulation effects to create a lush sound.

STRUCTURE

[X] Pace too plodding

This is definitely a lot slower than the original. I think that's deliberate, though, so if you don't want to speed things up or give the song more energy, what you have is great.

PERSONAL COMMENTS

I really enjoyed this remix! Your even-keel arrangement gives it a reflective emotion. I noticed that there aren't any abrupt changes in the arrangement until about 1:09, when you switch the lead synth playing the melody. Keeping things that consistent and building up so slowly, along with the slower tempo, creates a relatively calming emotion for electronica and makes the arrangement very emotional.

I'm really impressed by your production! The one thing I have to say is that the song seems a little quiet. Like I mentioned about, it doesn't sound quiet with itself, but when I listened to another song from a career artist right afterwards, I could tell that your song was a little quiet in comparison. I think that if I put your song in a playlist, I would find myself increasing my volume a little just for your track, then turning it back down afterwards. There's one moment at 3:12 where the song has levels more comparable to what I'm used to. On SoundCloud's visualization of your track, it's visibly the loudest point of the song. I don't think you want to remaster the song so that the whole track is that loud, but most of your song is significatnyl quieter.

Hi all. I've got a nearly-final draft of a remix I've been working on for a while. It's of my all-time favorite DDR tune, Sync, by Outphase.

Original:

Remix: https://soundcloud.com/tonalysis/outphase-sync-tonalysis-mix

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I was going to say the same, the mix is really, really quiet, it has a lack of power.

I really like what you've done, it's a very clever way of interpreting the song just by changing the tempo.

It makes it feel very anthemic, like it's the theme to some sci-fi movie. I do feel you could capitalise on this by utilising more changes in dynamics.

Overall I find it's quite loud enough as it is (you'll wanna watch out for a couple volume spikes here and there in fact), you're just missing some quiet parts.

Well done nonetheless.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MOD REVIEW

The arrangement is quite cool - I like the relatively slow direction you took it. The instrumentation generally works, too, though it IS a little similar to the original, in that sense. The drums, though, are a bit weak and washed in the bass and snare, respectively. That bass should really dominate the track, in this genre, but while it sounds meaty, it's pretty quiet. Bringing up that volume without clipping the track, while difficult, would bring this track up significantly. The snare just has too much reverb. That needs to tighten up, or else it just bleeds into everything.

While the synths are pretty vanilla, I think they work okay. Making them a bit more interesting somehow would help this track, though, in just making it stand out from the source more. Sometimes the pads get loud enough to cause some noticeable clipping (like at around 2:02), so be careful about that.

The drums are the biggest issue, though. They need to improve if you want this one to pass. Sorry about the delay on the feedback; I just noticed it when I was scouring the forum. Hope this helps a bit.