OCR01501 - *YES* Chrono Cross 'Reminiscence of Feelings'

djpretzel

Hello. I'm writing to submit an arrangement/remix of mine called "Reminiscence of Feelings." This orchestral piece is loosely based off of my arrangement of Chrono Cross's "Sang of Feeling" (aka "He Sang of Feeling") from the first edition of a certain Yasunori Mitsuda Tribute album. It's been a little while since my last submission to OCR, and much has happened in my life since that time. If it should be posted to OCR, I'd like to dedicate this arrangement to my family, for all they've done for me over the past year.

ReMixer name: Vampire Hunter Dan

email address: vhd@look.ca

URL for the arrangement/remix file:

Thanks a lot for taking a listen.

-Dan

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 109 "He Sang of Feeling"

Time & Space (Green) - 10 "Song of Feeling"

Heh. That version off the first Time & Space was pretty rough. Not to open up old wounds and rehash things, but I can see why the OUS guys weren't quite satisfied with a track like "Song of Feeling" on the first Time & Space. Not enough to bump it off entirely, but enough to take issue with it.

Though the arrangement was good there, everything sounded pretty loud and the performance of the various strings sounded fairly jerky and unrealistic the whole way. Of course, in the time since then, Dan has stepped up his skills considerably, and remains a very consistent and creative arranger in the community whose material is heard too rarely.

Dan's newer, small orchestra take on the source material sounds more sophisticated and nuanced. Very nice expansive ideas for the arrangement, as well as good variation with the instrumentation combinations. At times, I felt like some of the fuller sections weren't dense.

Whereas the strings at 1:15-1:18 of the T&S mix merely sounded jerky and robotic, the same writing on organ at 2:18-2:22 flowed much better this time around. Still noticeable issues with the bow movement of the lead strings sounding too fake (e.g 3:25-3:59), but at least the volume on each note wasn't them same which downplayed the issue there, plus you later had other instruments layered over them at 3:42-onward.

The note at 3:59 hung for a little too long and sounded fake, but you had some nice stuff when the other strings worked back in at 4:04 for the close. It's not often that we get arrangements of already existing arrangements, but this one definitely rose to the challenge of creating something evocative of the old version while also bringing strong improvements to the table. Overall, and very appropriately, this was a lush and emotive piece. A very strong arrangement. One for the ladies even.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Gentle intro, everything seems to fit together all right. There's enough reverb on everything, and doesn't seem to get too overbearing, all though some parts sound a little flooded.

Arrangement is creative. I like the stuff around 1:25, nice and dainty, don't think I've heard anyone do that before. I can't see anything majorly wrong with the piece in production or arrangement, I think they both could be a little better, but they're over our bar here. I don't enjoy this type of music personally, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would enjoy it, and it's over our bar in the critical areas.

YES