RWS 3-1: Arise From Your Grave!

MindWanderer

Season 3, Episode 1: Arise From Your Grave!

RMWtS-large.png

RMWtS (now RWS by popular decree) is back! To celebrate, this round is about those who refuse to die. As your primary source, please choose the theme of a character, boss, place, etc. that makes an unexpected return after being thought gone for good.

About ReMixing With the Stars

ReMixing With the Stars is intended to give beginning remixers some support, encouragement, and mentoring in their quest to become great, and as a sidenote, to become posted remixers. Beginners are mentored by experienced remixers to push their abilities to new heights and submit collaborative works according to the theme of the month.

Who's a "Star" and who's a "Novice?"

There are no fixed rules on this. Originally, RWS treated anyone with an OCR mixpost as a "Star" and anyone else as a "Novice." Later it evolved so that anyone could elect to be a Star, but posted remixers couldn't be Novices. The reason was because a lot of really good remixers expressed a lack of confidence in their abilities and didn't feel they were good enough to mentor someone else, but RWS gets a lot more Novice than Star signups.

Now anyone can sign up as either, but please be honest with yourself. If you have several direct posts to OCR, you're probably in a better position to give help than receive it. If you have a giant bowl of Wooden Spoons from PRC and mostly only win by default, the reverse is probably true. But if you feel that you're pretty good and your OCR submissions just get NO'ed due to minor nitpicks, go ahead and sign up as a Star if you want. If you have been posted but each submission takes you months and multiple resubmits, feel free to sign up as a Novice. Or not, it's your choice. If you're on the fence, bear in mind that being a Star is a much smaller time commitment.

One caveat: This should not be your first attempt at creating music in a DAW. The Stars' job is to provide mixing, production, and arrangement advice. It's not to teach you how to choose or install a DAW, load VST's, work with a MIDI piano roll, arm your microphone, etc. If that's where you are right now, try PRC or MnP as a first compo.

Rules

• Enrollment/Pairings:
    • Stars: Sign up by posting in this thread that you're available. Mention any time restrictions or or other limitations you might have, or if you have any particular strengths you'd like to offer (playing a live instrument is a great one).
    • Novices: If one or more Stars have signed up, just post to claim one! First come, first served. I encourage Novices to rotate between multiple Stars to get different learning experiences and perspectives, but if the same people keep signing up week after week, repeat pairings are fine. If there aren't any unclaimed Stars, feel free to post to say that you'd like one.

[*]Mixes: The Novice must be the primary remixer. Stars can contribute by giving advice, performing with a live instrument or vocals, and with production, including sample quality, balance, and minor arrangement adjustments to fix timing or dissonance issues. If you don't use the same DAW, you can exchange MIDIs or rendered stems. The Star may also contribute a short solo segment arranged entirely by them. No one other than the Novice and Star may help in any substantial way.

[*]Submissions: All entries must be submitted to ThaSauce by the deadline. Check the ThaSauce page for the exact amount of remaining time (the image in my sig should also be correct). Give credit to your partner in the submission description. File sizes cannot exceed 20MB. If you have trouble uploading the file or getting a ThaSauce account working, post a link to your mix in this thread and I'll get it on there. If this is your first ThaSauce compo entry, don't do it at the last minute!

[*]Voting: Use the ThaSauce page to vote. Entrants (Novices or Stars) may not vote for themselves, but your mix gets a bonus first-place vote if you vote. Support your partner by voting! The deadline is on the ThaSauce page (or in my sig, once voting has started).

Previous Episodes

Season 1 Compilation

Season 2 Compilation

• [thread=40611]Pilot Episode: "Beginnings"[/thread]
  • [thread=41556]Season 1, Episode 1: "Spooky!"[/thread]
  • [thread=41864]Season 1, Episode 2: "Origins of Home Gaming"[/thread]
  • [thread=42143]Season 1, Episode 3: Special "You Can Never Have Too Much Mega Man" edition[/thread]
  • [thread=42485]Season 1, Episode 4: "Yesteryear"[/thread]
  • [thread=42797]Season 1, Episode 5: "Ultra-Modern"[/thread]
  • [thread=43124]Season 1 Finale: "Touched by a Star"[/thread]
  • [thread=43437]Season 2, Episode 1: "Country Road"[/thread]
  • [thread=43702]Season 2, Episode 2: "Tropical Vacation!"[/thread]
  • [thread=45320]Season 2, Episode 3: Special "Wish on This!" edition[/thread]
  • [thread=45909]Season 2, Episode 4: "The Need for Speed!"[/thread]
  • [thread=46454]Season 2, Episode 5: "Pacifism"[/thread]
  • [thread=46676]Season 2 Finale: "Rising Stars"[/thread]

Please note that the rules have been streamlined to make it easier for me to keep running this on a continuous basis, and to lower the barrier for entering and participating.

Sorry this overlaps so much with MnP this time, but I made promises. Since I don't have to wait for source selection, I should be able to run a strict 3-week schedule.

I may have nearly 20 mixposts, but I'm still not really confident about getting the best out of people on a 1-to-1 basis.

In spite of this, I'm open as a Star if anyone feels I can help them in some way. My DAW is Reaper (though odds are due to soundfont differences we may still have to exchange MIDIs or stems) and I'm able to record piano/keyboard parts, vocals and ukulele.

But most preferably piano by far. :D

The only time limitation I have is my GMT timezone, but other than that, I'll be here all month.

I would like to sign up as a novice please. I would be more than happy to work with Rexy if she is willing.

I use reaper and am also in the gmt timezone. My main limitation right now is that I am currently competing in the AAC competition. The entry should be finished within the next few days, however.

My most recent piece of work can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-126/jonathan-breathless-scavenger-ftl-advanced-edition-lanius-2

Thanks

Interesting to see this compo back, still have good memories of season 2!

I'm not a posted mixer (yet; there's good stuff waiting to be judged and approved :P) but judging my own skills and the amount of time I have I think I dare sign up as a star if anyone needs it. Like Rexy I'm in GMT, my DAW is Logic and that's also the only instrument I play ;)

since this RWS would be my first, I'll sign up as a novice. And if its okay, I'll like to sign up with Jorito as my star.

Also, good to see u again Jorito! How u have internet connection is beyond my comprehension. XD

I'm up for that; pm me with details on your track and I'll help you out with (hopefully) good advice :)

As for internet connectivity; no problems there. In the Netherlands about 80% of the households have broadband internet. My only limitations are availability of time and energy ;)

I'd be cool with teaming up with Anorax. Just Skype me if you have any questions (timaeus222 on Skype, of course), and I can usually get back to you within the day. It'd be best to contact me at around 6PM~12AM PST. If you want, I can provide what I have listed in my signature for sample upgrades or a solo section. Feedback or sample upgrades on pretty much anything, I'm game. I use FL Studio. What do you use?

Edited by timaeus222

I'd be cool with teaming up with Anorax. Just Skype me if you have any questions (timaeus222 on Skype, of course), and I can usually get back to you within the day. It'd be best to contact me at around 6PM~12AM PST. If you want, I can provide what I have listed in my signature for sample upgrades or a solo section. Feedback or sample upgrades on pretty much anything, I'm game. I use FL Studio. What do you use?

I use Mixcraft 7 (although I might have a copy of FL floating around somewhere?). Haven't used Skype in a while, but yeah, I'll get in contact soon.

If this is still open I'll sign up as a novice ( more practice is always good) or a star if we need more stars.

You can have my place if you like. I ended up being much more busy than expected the last 2 weeks and will end up rushing at the deadline (completely defeating the point of working with a star).

I honesty didn't expect this to happen the first time I return to compos after a personal haitus, but I found myself fighting against composer's/writer's block. On top of this, my school schedule has left me with absolutely no time. After talking with timaeus, I feel that the only real action is to withdraw from this round. I apologize.

Well, that's one cancellation and one no-show (assuming Esperado and Rexy even got in touch). Thus closeth the inaugural round on ThaSauce.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to further lower the barrier to completion. I have an experiment in mind for next round which may help. There's also the "versus mashup" format which I previously reserved for special events, which might help with writer's block.

Aw... that's a pity. I'm glad that Mike and I were able to get in touch and that he found my input useful but I wouldn't have minded more participation.

Curious what experiment you have in mind. I think the barrier is quite low already, but the thing that makes this compo unique is also a bit of a weak spot; essentially you need double the amount of people (a star and a novice).

And having to compete with PRC and MNP doesn't help either, given the finite amount of free time people have...

Not sure how to solve this dilemma but I personally like the concept of RwS and I think the themes you come up with are also interesting with enough room to learn and grow from the 2 rounds I saw.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to further lower the barrier to completion. I have an experiment in mind for next round which may help. There's also the "versus mashup" format which I previously reserved for special events, which might help with writer's block.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me it was just a time thing. I realised that I wasn't going to have enough time in the competition period to have much interaction with my star so when Esperado said that he wanted to join I thought it would give my spot away to someone who could make proper use of it.

As such, I don't think that anything really needs to be changed. An extra week on the competition period would have worked wonders for me but I am unsure if 4 weeks would be good for the competition in general.

well that's a shame but what can you do when life happens, but even since the turnout came out this way, This was a pretty cool experience (at least for me it was) and I wouldn't mind signing up for the next RWS.

*I also just found out that my very first OCR Remix that I posted 10 months ago JUST got reviewed. It was a "No" but I'm kind of glad it didn't pass since it was 10 months ago. I feel I can make a way better version then what I submitted on that day just due to fact That I have learned so much stuff presently then during that time period because of you guys here on this website. :wink:

*I also just found out that my very first OCR Remix that I posted 10 months ago JUST got reviewed. It was a "No" but I'm kind of glad it didn't pass since it was 10 months ago. I feel I can make a way better version then what I submitted on that day just due to fact That I have learned so much stuff presently then during that time period because of you guys here on this website. :wink:

but- but- Killer Studio Chops! :-(

Ok, seriously. How old is the KSC joke again?

Killer studio chops !

I didnt knew the joke either, it was a blast reading the post....

I will try to signup as a novice for the next compo, I wanted to enter last time, but I was really busy with other stuff.

Edited by gercr