userid: 11659

Submission Information

Name of games arranged: Sonic Chaos (Game Gear), Sonic 3

Name of arrangement: Atlantis

Name of individual songs arranged: Aqua Planet Zone, Marble Garden Zone

Sources:

Edited by Palpable
closed

The piano in the intro sounds super stiff and quantized with almost too much delay. When the theme melody comes in at 0:30, the timbre is harsh and abrasive, with blasts from an even more abrasive sound. The synth lead sounds so dry compared to the drenched piano. The buildup starting at 1:27 sounds nice, I like the filtering automation but the piano writing is super simple. Still, I like that section as it builds up, adding percussion.

Around 2:00 though, that harsh lead synth starts filtering back in (and there are a few wonky notes in that section before the drop). Wow that lead is dry and just unpleasant. The drums are on autopilot. This second section sounds quite similar to the first, although there is lead writing variation, the gated backing and drums are the same.

The kick is all click with no low end. The hat is much too loud. The drum writing never changes.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Kris's vote reads a bit harsh, but after listening again I really have to agree with everything she said. To be honest, the production choices on this track are just... not pleasant to the ears :-( Everything is squished toward the midranges with very little bass frequencies coming through on the kick or anywhere else. The piano sample does not sound realistic to me at all (the sequencing and the sample quality itself.) Synths are super-dry.

Really, everything in this track sounds like it's had some weird EQ filter put on it... I could see that maybe you were going for more of a lo-fi aesthetic, but I don't think it was executed as well as it could have been.

Some cool arrangement ideas and generally a solid groove are present here, but the production, sample/synth quality, and sequencing are all sounding pretty unrefined.

Not doing it for me :-( Sorry.

NO

The comment that most resonated with me here was Emu's suggestion that a lo-fi filter has been run over the track. It sounds like there are frequencies missing with the backing synths, lead, and piano, and it's not a pleasant sound. Some of the instruments used are also pretty bland, and the supporting writing could have afforded more detail work to not sound as repetitive. Kris mentioned the drums as a culprit there, and I agree. Just a section or two with some extra layers might be enough. I like the arrangement ideas here, Beth. This has more promise to me than the last sub you sent us, and I'm not as down on the production as the other two judges. I think this has a chance of passing, but some work is needed on the production and writing detail sides.

NO (resubmit)