Looking for production/mixing feedback - original track

EC2151

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29072735/dd_destiny_wip3.mp3

This is part of an envisioned album I have in mind. Each track tries to tell its own story, interlocking with the other tracks. This being the "theme" of the main char, with a prominent lietmotif.

That's a bit secondary to the track itself. It's not finished, as can be evidenced by the fade-out ending (it might stay; I haven't come up with a decent ending idea yet).

I am always trying to improve, so here's what I'm asking:

1) how do the drums sound? Do they sound like they are well-integrated into the mix, or do they stick out too much? How can this be done?

2) Does the track sound "empty"? IE, not enough sound filling out the piece? I am always curious trying to figure out what is a good number of instruments to have in a piece. Most of my tracks tend to have between 8 and 16 instruments, though some solo music I've written obviously pare things down.

3) My music often ends up being too soft and quiet. I decided to preempt this by increasing the dB level of the track in FL Studio mixer up to 115%, and the master volume up to about the same as well. Does this work? If not, do you have any tips for getting good volume levels? I suspect it has something to do with how my headphones play back music (I need to buy myself a good pair soon).

I welcome any and all feedback. Thanks!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29072735/dd_destiny_wip3.mp3

This is part of an envisioned album I have in mind. Each track tries to tell its own story, interlocking with the other tracks. This being the "theme" of the main char, with a prominent lietmotif.

That's a bit secondary to the track itself. It's not finished, as can be evidenced by the fade-out ending (it might stay; I haven't come up with a decent ending idea yet).

I am always trying to improve, so here's what I'm asking:

1) how do the drums sound? Do they sound like they are well-integrated into the mix, or do they stick out too much? How can this be done?

2) Does the track sound "empty"? IE, not enough sound filling out the piece? I am always curious trying to figure out what is a good number of instruments to have in a piece. Most of my tracks tend to have between 8 and 16 instruments, though some solo music I've written obviously pare things down.

3) My music often ends up being too soft and quiet. I decided to preempt this by increasing the dB level of the track in FL Studio mixer up to 115%, and the master volume up to about the same as well. Does this work? If not, do you have any tips for getting good volume levels? I suspect it has something to do with how my headphones play back music (I need to buy myself a good pair soon).

I welcome any and all feedback. Thanks!

The drums sound good but the lead/melody could pop a bit more, it's kinda drowning in the rest I feel. The melody instruments sound a bit weak compared to the rest as well to me.

I think you found a good balance with instrumentation.

You could always try a vst that increases saturation / warmth / brilliance like Pultronic EQ110P and/or FAT+ I use both and it makes a huge difference with low effort but if you want the song to be more backgroundy then it's good the way it is.

I think it'd sound really neat with PS1 instruments cause it has that old school JRPG sound.

Aside from the melody instruments which might just be me I like it.