Chimpazilla

ReMixer name - Mak Eightman

real name- Max V. Kravchenko

email address-

userid: 32137

Submission Information:

Title - "The Champion"

link to remix -

Name of game arranged - Kunio Kun Nekketsu Soccer League(aka Goal 3)

System: NES

Name of individual song arranged - Ending(credits)

Link to the original soundtrack -

FIFA2014 World Cup EP project.

Director: Hakstock

Hello!

WC2014 kinda big thing in europe, I'm happy to be a part of something related.

Keep experimenting. Speed up guitar/bass sklls, more understanding with gtr mixing. And one step closer to original album! This mix is a test of drums/gtrs/bass sound for my album.

Ivan have some more info)

Also, if this project failed to be ready or whatever and if this mix will be Yes'd, and if can, please post it 12 june, when WC is oppening.

THANK YOU!

SFME!!!

Best of all!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This mix is pretty much relentless, it is a waveform sausage and I think it's overcompressed. The drums disappear during the heavy sections but sound well balanced in the breakdown at 2:07. I think easing off the overall compression will give everything more breathing room overall.

The source use is straightforward and the arrangement consists of three near-identical playthroughs of the same material (0:04-1:22, 1:23-2:07, and 2:54-3:40). Although there are differences in lead writing between the three parts, I don't think there is enough variation between the three sections, at least not enough for me. If I jump around randomly throughout the track I have a hard time telling where I am. Perhaps some more headroom in the mastering will let the track feel a bit more dynamic and the variations will have more impact.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Mixing's certainly muddy and imbalanced; the leads definitely don't stand out as much as they should, and the backing material's taking up most of the space.

1:31-1:49 shifts into some different material before hitting the chorus again, then an abrupt, but interesting segue at 2:15 into an original section that then referenced the very beginning of the source from 2:32-2:45. 2:54 repeated the intro without the drums, then hit a more intense version of the first main verse at 3:03.

Again on a Futebol Arte track, I don't agree with Chimpa saying there's no direction and that the track repeats itself the whole time; the final section at 2:54 did repeat wholesale (with textural additions), but there was enough dynamics and variation in the verses, IMO. I felt the arrangement was a solid pass.

Unfortunately, the mixing kills this dead. I agreed with Chimpa that this is just way overcompressed and nothing has room to breathe. The overall levels are too loud and much of the part-writing is indistinct. If you can rein in the volume, EQ certain parts to reduce muddiness, and better balance the leads vs. the supporting writing, this would be an easy pass in my book. I hope another judge can give some targeted production advice on this.

No matter what, Max, definitely get some production advice from the Workshop forums and resubmit this. To me, the arrangement & performance doesn't need to be redone in any way, but you do need to clean up the mixing. Once that's addressed, you'd be much more likely to get this posted. It's a very good, expansive arrangement, IMO.

NO (resubmit)

Source usage is super-easy to make out on this track, but it's sufficiently personalized. Not going to dwell on that portion of the track.

Arrangement-wise, I'm somewhere in between Larry and Kris on this... It's true that you retread a lot of ground, but ultimately I think you introduce breakdowns frequently enough that it falls into a fairly traditional song structure that works without feeling too static, especially when working with a repetitive source tune. If you go by the numbers like Kristina did, this is a repetitive arrangement, but just going with my gut, I think this has enough variation in its current form.

Mixing is causing problems here during the busiest parts. There's really nothing I can add on top of what Larry said, so I'll quote him again:

I agreed with Chimpa that this is just way overcompressed and nothing has room to breathe. The overall levels are too loud and much of the part-writing is indistinct. If you can rein in the volume, EQ certain parts to reduce muddiness, and better balance the leads vs. the supporting writing, this would be an easy pass in my book.

This all rings true, and I don't think I could actually get more specific than he did, it's just something you'll need to spend a bit of time tweaking and ironing out. Perhaps you'll have some luck on the workshop forums but my best advice would be to pick out a couple of mainstream/professional reference tracks that sound similar to what you're trying to achieve here, and do some A-to-B comparisons in your DAW and experiment with different mixing/compression settings until you achieve results you're happy with that keeps the intensity of your current mixdown without becoming overcompressed and too loud.

Good luck dude! Hopefully this should be relatively easy for you to revise and resubmit!

NO (resubmit!)