OCR03104 - Final Fantasy XII & IV 'Crystal Gradient'

djpretzel

Easily in my top four from the competition, and I'm really, really glad to see it make it to the front page. I admit, it was not what I'd expected from the sources the first time I listened to it, but it's grown on me more and more each time I've listened to it. Great little upbeat track that ought to put a smile on your face.

Love the sound. The Penelo source is working beautifully. Now, I wish you'd just dropped the Edward material, since (a) the writing is awkward both harmonically and structurally and (B) I could only really recognize two or three seconds on a casual listen anyway, despite being a huge fan of the FF4 soundtrack.

I'm under the impression you took a lot of the awkwardness out between the compo version and the resubbed version, and I recall this is a markedly better version. The main Edward section is still unharmonical and also pretty aimless, which I can't help but think reflects the struggle you had trying to combine the sources.

The piece is also quite short, not criminally so but definitely leaving room for expansion. You have interesting switches between major and minor modality in the treatment of Penelo's theme, that would be interesting to hear with a more deliberate pacing. And man, taking a listen to the original source really makes me appreciate the stylistic re-treatment you gave it!

• 3 weeks later...

The poppyness works for combining these two themes together and while a bit short, it seems to be the kind of pace and time it needed to be to allow this ReMix to cover both themes. Production was nicely done and it is certainly one of the better mixes from that compo.

• 8 months later...