email -

website - youtube.com/richaadeb

userID - N/A (yet)

Submission Info:

Game - Chrono Trigger

Track - Corridors of Time

Arrangement name - Miles above the Sea

Other notes:

Someone over at /r/progmetal suggested I submit this here. It's a progressive, djent-y take on the track which for me was directly inspired by several artists such as Darkest Hour, Opeth, Born of Osiris, Between the Buried and Me, and Thrice. The name of the arrangement I picked is actually part of a lyric from the Thrice song "The Melting Point of Wax". I wanted to approach this track, which is a favorite of mine, from a progressive metal angle without forsaking the original feel of the track.

I have an accompanying video here:

I have no idea if this cover/remix is appropriate for this site, it was just recommended to me. I hope you enjoy it.

Edited by Palpable
closed

Arrangement-wise, you brought some cool ideas to this heavily-treaded territory. I don't think it always worked though. The unusually-patterned rhythm guitars that are first heard at 0:12 were an odd match for the source pattern - neither part sounds bad on its own, but put together it didn't quite make sense. When the melody is brought in, the rhythm part is simplified but it still doesn't quite work. I kind of wished the whole section was slowed-down and simplified a little bit. There were a lot of rhythms going there and it didn't sound like there was a strong focus. The rhythm playing was also a little early at times, which didn't help.

I'm definitely not the expert on making (or listening to) metal on the panel, but this sounded a bit off to me production-wise. The rhythm guitars were pretty upfront and dry, maybe even a little lacking in low-end, and the double-kick section completely swamped the soundfield. The solo guitar was also a little thin. I liked a lot of the tones and FX you used but the mixing didn't sound right, often too crowded. I hope you can get some advice from others who know this area better. I liked what I heard here. It's promising for a future version.

NO (resubmit)

Definitely a big fan of the djenty style you approached this in! I have to draw the obvious comparison to Periphery, one of my favorite metal bands, so this was cool to hear. Very technical playing and soloing, it took me a few listens to fully appreciate the intricacies of your arrangement but there's a lot to like here.

From a critical perspective, there's a HUGE amount of clashing in this mix. The mixing is seriously crowded and you need to bring down the volume and selectively apply some EQ cuts to give everything more breathing room. Compare your mixdown to this similar-style track, and I think you can hear the difference in how much room there is to breathe without sacrificing the intensity of each instrument. The boominess of the drums (especially noticeable during the fast sections) and overall reverb levels are contributing to this muddiness as well. Mixing-wise, this just isn't where it needs to be.

I took a look at your Youtube channel and listened to some of your more recent uploads, and I really think that you've improved your mixing skills since this was submitted. I don't think I need to get too in-depth on feedback but I want to stress how much I feel that djent and progressive metal is underrepresented on OCR and that this track needs to get resubmitted! Hopefully you'll be willing to take another pass at this.

NO (resubmit!)

This is a very unique take on this source, I like the idea! Very cool. But I agree with Emu, it needs a major eq overhaul. You've got a lot of sounds in the same frequency range, guitars and the upper end of the bass too. And definitely too much low end content in that kick, those fast kick passages sound mushy and overwhelming in the lows.

I really like this arrangement. I think one more pass at the mixing will get the job done.

NO (resubmit)