OCR03155 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Marble Clouds in Azure Skies'

Palpable

ReMixer name: Amphibious

Userid: 44489
Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Name of arrangement: Marble Clouds in Azure Skies
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Marble Garden Zone, Azure Lake Zone
Link to mix: 
Here's a mix I did in the 2nd round of the Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014. I was attempting a sort of jazz fusion sound mixed with lots of FM elements. At times the Azure Lake usage is a bit out there, and I definitely played with the rhythms of both themes throughout this tune in the melodies and bass. But I felt that what I did with the sources works well with this style. Overall, this was a super fun piece to put together, and I am definitely working on making more music in this style. Special thanks to those on the workshop forums who were able to help me spruce up a few things! I hope you all enjoy :D

Marble Garden:

Azure Lake:
Edited by Liontamer

I had a hard time hearing direct connections in this mix. The bass pattern is modified enough that I wouldn't count it, though with the same chord structure it still sounds pretty Marble Garden-y. Melody is also changed quite a bit. It also sounded like there were many original sections, or at least parts I couldn't pinpoint. Didn't really hear any Azure Lake. Would love to get more opinions on this, because it was a really enjoyable song, probably DP-worthy.

• 3 weeks later...

For a 3:13-long track, I needed to find at least 96.5 seconds of overt references to the source tunes for the VGM to be dominant in the arrangement. Like Palpable, the way the intro bassline was modified was too far from the Marble Garden's to give it full credit, but ultimately this checked out with overall source usage (Marble Garden verses unless otherwise noted):

:17-:18.5, :23.75-:25.5, :31-:34 (Azure), :37.5-:42.5 (Azure, MG), :48-:49.75, :55-:58 (Azure), 1:01.5-1:04.5 (Azure), 1:07.5-1:10 (Marble chorus), 1:12.5-1:15 (Marble chorus), 1:19-1:44.5, 1:46.5-1:49.5 (Azure), 1:53.25-1:56.25 (Azure), 1:58.75-2:01.25 (Marble chorus), 2:03.75-2:06.25 (Marble chorus), 2:14-2:39.5, 2:41.75-2:54 = 98.25 seconds or 50.9% overt source usage

1:19's version of the bassline was simplified but more overtly similar to Marble Garden's notes that I counted that. I'm probably missing some other connections, but as liberally as this was arranged, I'm not sure how much higher things would end up timestamping out anyway. That said, the overt source usage barely checked out as dominant for me, so I'm on board.

Love the fusion and transformation of the two themes, with "Marble Garden" taking the lion's share of it. Incredibly driving energy behind this track, with great instrumentation choices, fun-filled AND fun fill percussion, electric geetar midway through, and excellent dynamics (loved the dropoff at 2:15). Jordan... killin' it. Great job!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that breakdown, Larry. I was listening for the wrong part of Azure Lake, I hear its usage now. I still think this is just about a borderline vote, because of how modified the elements are, but I have to admit it still has a very funky Marble Garden feel. I feel ok falling on the side of the YESes (possibly tipped that way because the arrangement is so well put-together), but it's just about as liberal as I'm willing to go.

YES

whoooooaaaa

i don't do all that source breakdown stuff; ya know, i give the eye test with my ears and this is earsex because i can hear the sources in there, albeit mangled with your brilliant (and liberal) arrangement of them. it's more marble garden than it is azure lake but that's by design and that's fine because it's the better source lol it passes my "eyear" test.

that said, production values are on point of course. the chops here are ace across the board, nice showcase of really strong phrasing sensibility; you know when to "say" things and when not to "say" things. over all, a very entertaining tune that stays busy for 3 minutes and some change... does a lot, goes a lot of places. it's active like nike, thick like minaj, stays fresh like farmer's market, and overall satisfies me like... umm.....

i don't like the anticlimactic ending but that's just as small a quip as they come and bears nothing more than a mention in light of how awesome everything else is.

anyway, no surprises here. amphibious always comes with it.

YES

Man, loving this funky approach.  Production is spot on - literally no gripes here.

Huge thanks to Larry for the detailed source breakdown.  Makes my life easier.  The amount of integration and sometimes constant switching between both sources along with heaping dose of personal touches is pretty amazing on the arrangement end.

Awesome

YES