Bloodborne

AngelCityOutlaw

Surprised no one made a thread about this game. It's been out for a couple weeks now and everyone is going nuts for it.

I'll admit, I hated everything about it except the setting at first (I'm a huge nerd for gothic horror/fantasy stuff) but I gave it another chance and it actually gets really really good making it the first "souls" type game I don't find to be a total snoozefest.

Now, I'm over halfway through it and I'd say that my only complaint is that the game is either one extreme or the other. By yourself, the game's bosses are absurdly difficult. With just one other person helping though, it becomes almost too easy. Not that I really mind since I prefer co-op anyway, but the drastic swing in difficulty that results from it is rather jarring.

What do you all think of it?

soul veterans say the game is too easy cuz of stun locking ( trapping the enemy in a hurt animation, leaving them completely defenseless). While players that are new to the soul series love it. In the end I think that this was the better choice for the franchise. Sure veterans might have felt the game was too easy but this was on the new console, If bloodborne was as unforgiving as Dark Souls 2 then only a certain group of people would be playing it right now.

they could increase the difficulty in bloodborne 2 (if its ever decided to be made) cuz there would now be a market for them that has a wider audience because new players got the taste of the souls series in the current gen, while soul vets would get the difficulty that they wanted.

Its a win-win in the long run.

I love the game, I'm in NG+ but mainly working on chalice dungeons right now. I disagree that bosses are too hard for 1 person, only a few of them seemed that way to me -- mainly Rom the Vacuous Spider, Martyr Logarius and Ebreitas. I played a tiny bit of Demon Souls, a tiny bit of Dark Souls, and almost to the end of Dark Souls 2... I'd still call myself casual in terms of the Souls series. Bloodborne is harder but only until you get used to how the action works, or as Souls players put it, git gud.

Same could be said of Dark Souls, oh this game is easy! Because I am now aware of how the parry/dodging works and can take advantage of that.

I have a friend who sold Bloodborne to someone for $30 after getting past the first boss. Another friend who has been playing a few days and hasn't even gotten to the Cleric Beast yet. It's not even that huge of a learning curve, that doesn't mean the game is easy or really hard, it's just different from other games.

People complain about the areas being a maze but I found them to be really linear, and there's at least 2 shortcuts you can open in each area. The most maze-like area is the Forbidden Woods which is a huge pain in the butt, I don't like going there, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of every enemy being either a pile of snakes, a giant pile of snakes, or a man who goes crazy and has snakes shoot out of his head.

Being sucked in this game is the worst especially if it's a Brainsucker. They take 2 insight and do considerable damage when they latch on. Also the Brain Trust are nasty and look like the aliens from Mars Attacks. I like Mother Brain a lot though.

If it seems ridiculously easy with 2 people then you can probably do it alone.

Least favorite location is Nightmare Frontier because of all the poison water everywhere.

Already want the Bloodborne DLC! Need more!

Surprised nobody made a thread too seemed like last time I heard people talk about the game here they were still calling it Project Beast

I'm a DS1 vet, and I generally really like Bloodborne. I like the tweaks made to the combat and such. I also really enjoy the horror atmosphere. My major complaint with the game is that the Covenants (Oaths) don't really do much. Also, I wish there was a way to turn invasions on without enabling requesting co-op assistance. I want a little chaos in my game, not help. There's nothing like being completely lost in an area and then some asshole invades you and you have to fight them or else get you get sent back to square one.

Difficulty-wise, it's really hard to say. Certain bosses gave me lots of trouble, other didn't. My first character was Strength based using the axe. My second character is Skill/Bloodtinge based and everything is a bit harder. Nothing was as hard as the Taurus Demon was for me in DS1 but that was just me getting used to how Souls games work.

I think the game could've used a little more time in the oven. The lack of fleshed out Covenants kind of makes me want to go buy DS2. I was late to the DS1 game and went straight from it to Bloodborne so DS2 is still new to me.

Also, I wish there was a way to turn invasions on without enabling requesting co-op assistance. I want a little chaos in my game, not help.

Just ring the sinister bell, it'll either pair you up with someone else ringing the sinister bell or a person requesting assistance who hasn't killed the bell-ringing woman yet. It seems to be random as to who invades whom when two people are ringing the bell though.

Nightmare Frontier or whatever it's called seems to be the most active PvP area

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

Still stuck on the third boss. I can see why some people think its too hard, but once you understand the differences between the combat styles in Bloodborne and other souls games it starts to get a little easier. Bloodborne is way more offensive than previous games as shields suck, and you get rewarded for countering immediately after taking damage. Im a little dissapointed by the lack of "cosplay souls" action though.

Still stuck on the third boss. I can see why some people think its too hard, but once you understand the differences between the combat styles in Bloodborne and other souls games it starts to get a little easier. Bloodborne is way more offensive than previous games as shields suck, and you get rewarded for countering immediately after taking damage. Im a little dissapointed by the lack of "cosplay souls" action though.

Which third boss? Blood Starved Beast or Vicar Amelia? Blood Starved Beast is optional if you beat the Cleric Beast I think.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

Now that I've spent quite a bit of time with the game and the hype has settled I feel like I can talk more openly about it. When I finished Dark Souls 2 I was so enveloped by it I just couldn't see why is wasn't a great sequel for a while, it's still a great game but it didn't leave any of the impressions Dark Souls did.

Bloodborne thankfully has left a strong impression but not in ways I expected (I'm not gonna talk about PvP or multiplayer because it's not a big thing for me). It's a terrific action twist on the Souls combat and it never gets dull or feels like a burn, it's constantly satisfying. Every weapon feels well thought out and offers just enough variety so that you're not too disappointed that there's not a lot of them. Pretty much all the bosses are fantastic fights and the world is a joy to explore too. The atmosphere is great and the level design is pretty much all rock solid.

But then there are things I am less enthusiastic about. The story and lore I found to be really interesting and it made me ponder what I was doing and what was going on the entire time. Yet after a couple of playthroughs even though I have grasped the core plot and have a decent understanding of the characters I'm still left a little unsatiated by it, which leaves interpretation harder to enjoy as well. In Dark Souls you know full well what you're doing and where you're going but there's plenty to interpret as you go along and you feel quite attached because of this. I can't quite say I felt the same with with Bloodborne. There's also a real lack in NPC story and interaction, there's just enough to keep you involved but not a lot to really dig into and I was sad about that. And as much as I enjoyed the level design it just didn't feel as rewarding as a Souls game because of the lack of items, you start to let out a sigh for all the coldblood and items scattered around instead of nice gear and weapons. The runes are alright but they're not as cool as rings!

I'm still really positive about the game and I think it's better than Dark Souls 2 for sure. All I can really say is that Bloodborne is very much an alternative Souls game where you'll love what's different but must accept that it comes with costs, and those costs are things you also liked in Souls games. I know there are people who will prefer this game to Souls and that's great. I really wanted Bloodborne to surpass the Souls franchise but in the end I like it for different reasons, if there's ever a Bloodborne 2 I hope it plays to its strengths. If Miyazaki considers being heavily involved in Dark Souls 3 (of course it'll happen), I'll be very happy.

If I had to order my favourites in the "Souls" category it would go:

Demon's Souls > Dark Souls > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 2 > Lords of the Fallen

Demon's is my first love, I have to pick it above all else. Sorry Lords, you tried, you really did; you gotta separate yourself more or you'll never thrive.

Which third boss? Blood Starved Beast or Vicar Amelia? Blood Starved Beast is optional if you beat the Cleric Beast I think.

Vicar Amelia I believe. Shes likes to make all kinds of screaming sounds when she swings at you? I keep getting wrecked on the way in trying to scrounge up blood vials. perhaps it would make sense to just check out Blood Starved Beast.

Vicar Amelia I believe. Shes likes to make all kinds of screaming sounds when she swings at you? I keep getting wrecked on the way in trying to scrounge up blood vials. perhaps it would make sense to just check out Blood Starved Beast.

Sounds like her. For blood starved beast, best advice is Molotov cocktails and stun him with the gun at every possible opportunity. Molotovs work well on Amelia too, but beware her healing spell. You have to be hitting pretty hard at this point to prevent her from healing. If you're much below level 30, she's going to be ridiculous by yourself.

Other than that, just hit her in the ass.

Sounds like her. For blood starved beast, best advice is Molotov cocktails and stun him with the gun at every possible opportunity. Molotovs work well on Amelia too, but beware her healing spell. You have to be hitting pretty hard at this point to prevent her from healing. If you're much below level 30, she's going to be ridiculous by yourself.

Other than that, just hit her in the ass.

I'm not level 30 for sure. I'm not sure how people think this game is easier than previous games. Is there some secret to this game that I'm missing? I get wrecked by errybody

Gotta use them invincibility frames BRO. Gotta dodge at the right time, not too early, not too late. If you're standing a mile back and running in, you're doing it wrong. I'm fighting the lava dog now in the defiled chalice and I dodge towards it, not away from it, and start stabbing its legs. I've actually done a perfect dodge but got hit by the lava dog's head. It doesn't damage me but it pushes me a mile away from where I was trying to dodge to.

Someone beat the game at level 4 waste of skin with the threaded cane

Rom the Vacuous Spider, is a hairy sack of crap. He's dang easy to beat on your own, it's just the minion spiders that are the problem. Their airborne dive can nearly kill you in 1 hit, for sure they kill beckoned co-op partners in 1 hit because they have half health.

But ACO is right, ring that beckoning bell for some help, and play conservatively, cause if you die you both get taken out. If your co-op partner dies then you still have a chance to win if you go ham.

I'm not level 30 for sure. I'm not sure how people think this game is easier than previous games. Is there some secret to this game that I'm missing? I get wrecked by errybody

You can always go help other people with their bosses. It's a win win since you get more experience at fighting the boss and you get blood echoes (as long as you win) and then you can just level up from those. Leveling up your weapon is a must just in case that was not obvious. If you haven't tried it you might want to fight more without using lock on, in some cases it gives you much more maneuverability and you can position yourself better. And dodging just before the moment the enemies attack touches you will make you invincible to it which is insanely valuable, hitboxes in this game are a lot more precise than before so you can worry less about those catching you. Like Brandon said, dodging forwards (especially with lock on) is incredibly useful since most of the time you will dodge most attacks and position yourself for some good counter attacks. Father Gascoigne is a great example of how dashing towards him during his attacks being better than any other direction, especially when his weapon transforms.

I have now 3 friends who sold / are selling Bloodborne.. one friend sold it to a friend for $30 then he sold it for $35... LOL.. made money on that deal.

But if any of you are low level trying to start out the game and getting wrecked, I have a level 17 I made specifically for helping. Just get your 1 insight from finding the Cleric Beast boss.. if you don't survive, you'll be at Hunter's Dream, and pick up the Beckoning Bell there. DON'T RING IT until you get a password put in and you have me or someone there to help you. (No password for randoms, password if you want me to help)

It took me an hour to beat the first 2 bosses and collect enough insight (over 10) to buy all the various bells and whistles to be able to help through co-op. Let me know if anyone wants that help for the early game.

Otherwise my main is around level 130 and is in new game plus, at the beginning (Old Yharnam)

______

For those worried about Insight not being a renewable resource... well it is. Once you get your weapon leveled up a bit, you can run the low level chalice over and over, each boss will give you around 2 Insight, or something. Higher level people are stuck running through the game with 99 insight and we can just buy chalice materials or whatever from the insight bath to drop some of it.. but you get it super fast when you run chalices and help people kill bosses with your little bell.

Edited by Brandon Strader

There are two things that can make this game easy beyond memorizing enemy attack patterns.

1) level your weapons and find the monsters that drop the materials to do this.

2) level your vitality stat. Even if you get it to only 20 that will make a huge difference. I was having trouble near the fourth boss with a waste of skin character with 8 vitality and the kidnappers were one shotting me with their wimpy kick.

As a side note, I really enjoy playing an arcane build with a fire Ludwig blade and oil urns. Bosses don't last long with that combination.

For advanced techniques you need to learn to dodge roll effectively (memorizing enemy move sets help with this).

Also you can use your gun to interrupt an enemy's attack animation in order to perform a riposte. This makes dealing with some enemies very trivial.

Edited by shadow24

You're just talking to the wrong guy, I'd read a couple paragraphs about your favorite weapons and why. o_O

I'm using Ludwig's Holy Blade +10 and Blade of Mercy +9, I need to find another Blood Rock to finish them off, but then I thought maybe it would be better to level up a DIFFERENT weapon and use the Blood Rock on that... like maybe the Reiterspallach or something, which I've never even used before. Or the Beast Claw.

I hit the wall.. I passed the threshold of love into hate and found the part of the game that makes me not like it. It's Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice. Forget the artificial difficulty where you have 50% HP and Amygdala kills you in 1 hit from most attacks... but he has too many attacks to try to memorize, too many arms and patterns to even know which attack he's doing, and the attacks are so generic you can't tell them apart. It crossed the barrier from skill into luck (in the previous fight to be honest, Lava Dog was mostly luck rather than skill)

And that's the major buzzkill of this game for me... :cry:

I hit the wall.. I passed the threshold of love into hate and found the part of the game that makes me not like it. It's Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice. Forget the artificial difficulty where you have 50% HP and Amygdala kills you in 1 hit from most attacks... but he has too many attacks to try to memorize, too many arms and patterns to even know which attack he's doing, and the attacks are so generic you can't tell them apart. It crossed the barrier from skill into luck (in the previous fight to be honest, Lava Dog was mostly luck rather than skill)

And that's the major buzzkill of this game for me... :cry:

Git gud :<

Git gud :<

I sorta did. Here's the *shortened* sequence of events:

1. Encounter boss

2. Get butt kicked, hate game

3. Beat boss

4. Love game again

I regret letting the Chalices tarnish my love for this game. :< I saw a news story that FROM employees can't even make progress in New Game +.... so I doubt they finished the chalices.

I got the platinum trophy earlier... need a bit of a vacation from the game now... that was an intense ride. I'll be ready for the DLCs.

Edited by Brandon Strader