EastWest Composer Cloud

42 minutes ago, ShadowRaz said:

Man this would seem like really cool addition to sound libraries for compositions. Too expensive though as it is kind of an "rent" for those libraries. But then again about paying rent.. living on an apartment (in which i am currently living) costs 400€ a month for rent and i will never get those back. But i could keep the audio compositions safe that i had composed from renting that for merely 25€ a month, compared to the fact that i will never "obtain" this apartment even though if i had payed forever this rent month by month. And i couldn't compose with an computer if i didn't even have a bloody place to use this computer and a source of electricity would i now? Ugh.. I should at least try out the 10-day free limited trial with 3 of the products of my choosing. I would go with some sort of Brass ensemble library and if there were any good vocal choirs (with working wordbuilder stuff that would give opportunity to build words sang by choirs virtually) i definitely would choose that

It's replacing their Complete Composer Collection, so really you are getting more than what you used to get and at 30/mo ($7.50/wk) it would take 3 years to cover the lowest cost of CCC which was 7 libraries at around $1000. I'm not a fan of subscription services for the same reasons you listed but this is still a great deal with no need to spend it all up front.  

I'm planning on upgrading my EWQLSO to platinum for $275 then getting the Cloud for everything else. Once I get my new pc built, people won't be seeing me for a loooooooooong time.    

• 2 weeks later...

PC's built and i am thinking of picking up CC next week.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on EW's pro drummer series?  I can't find my activation code for my older SSD EX library so right now i'm stuck with Addictive Drums 2 which came with my DAW.  Are the samples in Pro Drummer comparable to SSD or at the very least better than AD2?  If not, I may end up eschewing the composer cloud to buy SSD4.  

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been able to complete Solo Violin.  It keeps getting stuck at 98% for no apparent reason. :/ Symphonic Choirs though is awesome and Stormdrum 3 is 80gb of nothing but amazing hits.  I also DL'ed Gypsy that comes with a fantastic sampled violin. Extremely happy with the CC so far but it has done a number on my social life over the past few weeks.  

Has anyone used The Dark Side for ANYTHING?  It seems to be a lot of rehashed samples from other libraries with a little bit of distortion applied to them with inflexible results.   If you were going for a darker soundscape just about anything would work better than The Dark Side. This is why i'm glad they did the CC because i probably would have been won over by the marketing choices and reviews of the library before getting a chance to use it.

So far that's been the only dud. 

Oh man so their not like stream type of stuff to use.. off course not.. that would most likely require ridiculously fast internet and work somewhat.. well i don't have a glue but i would need more hard drive space for these and most likely another SSD to have tolerable speeds on loading them.. i'm guessing i would need hundreds of gigabytes of space on it for fitting everything i would need from those vst's..

Are they how heavy on CPU and RAM? I suppose Ram wouldn't be a problem for me unless i would make monster compositions but even though i have Intel I7 as a processor, my CPU is running kind of.. well adequate.

11 minutes ago, ShadowRaz said:

i would need more hard drive space for these and most likely another SSD to have tolerable speeds on loading them.. i'm guessing i would need hundreds of gigabytes of space on it for fitting everything i would need from those vst's..

Are they how heavy on CPU and RAM? I suppose Ram wouldn't be a problem for me unless i would make monster compositions but even though i have Intel I7 as a processor, my CPU is running kind of.. well adequate.

HDD space definitely.  I use a 1TB external HDD for my sample drive and it seems to work just fine. Samples aren't instant but I can wait a few extra seconds if it saves me 200 bucks. You can pick one up on amazon or wal mart for about $50.   Most of them are fairly heavy on system resources but probably not to the extent that newer sample libraries are.  Excluding the Hollywood series and Ghost Writer, a lot of these libraries were put on the market back when many people were still working with a 4gb ram limit.   

I got the Complete Composer's Collection a while ago and I have to be honest. After finally having the money to buy other instruments I regret getting EastWest's stuff. The samples themselves are pretty good, but the whole iLok and Play engine stuff just is not worth the trouble.

I don't think I'll buy anything from them again in the future and now I wish I would've gotten something else for the orchestra. Their engine just sucks so much - it crashes so often, does not even compare to Kontakt regarding the features and they've been talking about upgrading it for years now. And nothing's happening.

10 hours ago, GSO said:

having 16 GB of RAM and an i7 processor would I be okay running CCC Pro? as well as Komplete 9 Ultimate?

I'd have to make the argument that CC Pro (Plus actually) is probably not worth the cost.  The only difference is getting platinum/diamond versions of the Hollywood series EWQLSO and Choirs which means you get to pay double in order to vary the reverb for the patches.  I've never used the Hollywood series but having platinum versions of both hollywood and EWQLSO is probably more orchestra than anyone would need. If you make a living filmscoring or doing professional trailers then maybe it would be worth it but that's still a pretty big maybe. You may want to look into buying EWQLSO platinum then go with the standard CC plan instead of going with the pro pricing plan as that would be much cheaper in the long run and if CC blanks out in the future you still have the full version of one of the best orchestra libraries ever made.  

My beef with EW is that a lot of their libraries are tailored to have a specific sound and aren't in depth samplings of the instruments they have even though they give you the impression that's what you are getting. This is probably most evident with the Ministry of Rock series and The Dark Side.  The new version of play seems to work well with my new studio pc and EW is FINALLY making the jump to going ilok-less.  With the CC you have the option of installing the licenses on your computer so hopefully everything else will be included at some point. But yea I share everyone's hatred of the iLok.  

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:31 PM, Garpocalypse said:

I'd have to make the argument that CC Pro (Plus actually) is probably not worth the cost.  The only difference is getting platinum/diamond versions of the Hollywood series EWQLSO and Choirs which means you get to pay double in order to vary the reverb for the patches.  I've never used the Hollywood series but having platinum versions of both hollywood and EWQLSO is probably more orchestra than anyone would need. If you make a living filmscoring or doing professional trailers then maybe it would be worth it but that's still a pretty big maybe. You may want to look into buying EWQLSO platinum then go with the standard CC plan instead of going with the pro pricing plan as that would be much cheaper in the long run and if CC blanks out in the future you still have the full version of one of the best orchestra libraries ever made.  

My beef with EW is that a lot of their libraries are tailored to have a specific sound and aren't in depth samplings of the instruments they have even though they give you the impression that's what you are getting. This is probably most evident with the Ministry of Rock series and The Dark Side.  The new version of play seems to work well with my new studio pc and EW is FINALLY making the jump to going ilok-less.  With the CC you have the option of installing the licenses on your computer so hopefully everything else will be included at some point. But yea I share everyone's hatred of the iLok.  

...somebody over @ eastwest must have been on like an acid trip when the iLok was created lol...ugh...sooo glad they moved it to being optional

10 minutes ago, GSO said:

...somebody over @ eastwest must have been on like an acid trip when the iLok was created lol...ugh...sooo glad they moved it to being optional

Uhm... no. iLok is a technology that existed independent of EastWest and Soundsonline. Many, many music software companies still use it. iLok 2 has not been cracked yet, so it's still functionally perfect piracy prevention.

I hate iLok too, but let's try to be accurate and factual here. There's nothing "acid trip" about wanting to protect your business.

7 hours ago, Neblix said:

Uhm... no. iLok is a technology that existed independent of EastWest and Soundsonline. Many, many music software companies still use it. iLok 2 has not been cracked yet, so it's still functionally perfect piracy prevention.

I hate iLok too, but let's try to be accurate and factual here. There's nothing "acid trip" about wanting to protect your business.

to clarify: I just don't like to have less usb ports...

On 13.4.2016 at 1:07 AM, GSO said:

to clarify: I just don't like to have less usb ports...

I think the worst part is the process when it breaks. Which does indeed happen. Good luck getting that replacement without waiting forever and spending a fortune if you're not subscribed to that Zero-Downtime thing. It feels like a scam to me to be honest. I know that it's not, but seriously - Dongles are really outdated and I don't think anyone should be using them anymore.