Zelda: Wind Waker + Link's Awakening - Aryll's theme, Mabe Village (Solo Piano)

Nostalvania

Hi there

I was in the mood for some solo piano lately, and this time i did something i've never done before, i used songs from games that i haven't played myself :shock:

Sources:

The Wind Waker https://youtu.be/1UZ1_UfZlUc?list=PL67291BDCD76884B2 (Aryll's theme)

Link's Awakening https://youtu.be/WKPG3cGxtJU?list=PL67291BDCD76884B2 (Mabe Village)

And there's also a bit of Ocarina of Time at the end ;-)

Remix:

https://app.box.com/s/n0my5g5zu0t9cujhpcl2xsjfqf6gnp05

Cheers
Markus

Edited by Nostalvania

This is a tough one. The sources are there, the performance is there...

I'm a little concerned about the sound of the piano. It sounds... boxy, or something. It's not a noticeable problem for most of the track, but the louder, lower notes sound weird to me. I'm not sure this is an objective or subjective criticism.

It's difficult to find a groove. Or rather, it's difficult to follow the grooves, since you break the rhythms a lot. To my ears, not that well accustomed to jazz piano, it sounds like there's problems with the timing. I get that the breaking of the rhythm is intentional, but even when I'm expecting it, I'm not hearing them as quite as intentional as I would like to.

There are some cool harmonies in here, cool chords. Sometimes they fit really well, other times they seem odd for the sake of oddity.

I think the main problem with the track is that I can't tell what's intentional and jazz, and what's sloppy or arbitrary. Maybe that's more my fault than yours. I don't know. But either way, it makes it difficult for me to listen to the track.

I really can't say much about this track with any certainty. Can another mod, someone with a better ear for this kind of music, have a listen?

I'm not a mod, but I'm a big jazz fan, and I'll vouch for his harmonies and timing. This is very much within the vein of solo jazz piano. It's a bit more free-form than most of the music on OCR, but it's not meant to keep to a steady beat. The harmonies are fantastic and none of them sounded out of place to me; I heard shades of Dave Brubeck and Bill Evans in there.

I'm not an expert on the quality of the piano sound, but compositionally and performance-wise, I think this is great.

Thanks Rozo and Kanthos!

Well to my ears the harmonies sound pretty decent. I agree that there are some little timing issues here and there, i'll try to work on that but i would say it's not really a problem. As for the performance; I'll be honest, i actually played it all on my D-Piano but used editing and splicing, so it wasn't really a live performance.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tough one. The sources are there, the performance is there...

I'm a little concerned about the sound of the piano. It sounds... boxy, or something. It's not a noticeable problem for most of the track, but the louder, lower notes sound weird to me. I'm not sure this is an objective or subjective criticism.

It's difficult to find a groove. Or rather, it's difficult to follow the grooves, since you break the rhythms a lot. To my ears, not that well accustomed to jazz piano, it sounds like there's problems with the timing. I get that the breaking of the rhythm is intentional, but even when I'm expecting it, I'm not hearing them as quite as intentional as I would like to.

There are some cool harmonies in here, cool chords. Sometimes they fit really well, other times they seem odd for the sake of oddity.

I think the main problem with the track is that I can't tell what's intentional and jazz, and what's sloppy or arbitrary. Maybe that's more my fault than yours. I don't know. But either way, it makes it difficult for me to listen to the track.

I really can't say much about this track with any certainty. Can another mod, someone with a better ear for this kind of music, have a listen?

The rubato sounds intentional to me, and the harmonies are definitely in the vein of DAT SMOOTH JAZZ~. I'm confident that this is an easy pass. The piano tone is quite good too.

Some of the harmonies did sound weird to me, but they sounded good once I heard this more than once. Yeah, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about. It sounded cohesive IMO, and it's only two source tunes and one cameo anyways, so there's not really much 'danger' in this sounding like a medley. :razz:

Knocked it out of the park... again! :nicework: