Welcome to the New Forums!

DarkeSword

Ideally this would be a user preference, and users could choose to disable auto-embedding based on their personal preferences. Hopefully such functionality will eventually be available to us, but until then, my inclination is to leave auto-embedding enabled.

As long as it's the poster's preference, not the viewer's. The poster should be able to anticipate how their content will be seen.

What would be even more awesome, given the nature of this site, would be if there was a sort of "micro-embed" that only shows the controls, no video, but plays the audio.

It's unfortunately an either/or thing, and I personally prefer the auto-embedding. In fact, I want to enable SoundCloud embedding as well - I think folks will get a lot of use out of it.

Ideally this would be a user preference, and users could choose to disable auto-embedding based on their personal preferences. Hopefully such functionality will eventually be available to us, but until then, my inclination is to leave auto-embedding enabled.

If IPB has some method of having partially concealed text (like "spoiler" tags that don't load their content immediately), could that be a default for YouTube embeds? If a link is posted that has a valid embed (youtube, soundcloud, etc.), a "spoilers" collapsible item could appear around the embed, letting forum users decide on whether or not to actually load the embed, thus speeding up initial page load times, as the extra resources are loaded manually.

Kind of like this.

text test text

holy shit it works. Media tag doesn't seem to support Soundcloud yet, or else I can't figure it out.

real question is, do the resources within the [ spoiler] tag load with the page, or after the tag is opened?

Unfortunately, this does not appear to be an option.

Damn. Really, really got used to that ass-backwards layout over the past few years. Gotta conform to the standards now! :evil:

:tomatoface:

As long as it's the poster's preference, not the viewer's. The poster should be able to anticipate how their content will be seen.

What would be even more awesome, given the nature of this site, would be if there was a sort of "micro-embed" that only shows the controls, no video, but plays the audio.

it should be controlled on both end. i'm not myself a great fan of youtube embedding when i browse a forum, i can go to youtube with one more click to check what you want me to see. On the opposite embedding soundcloud is very interesting

I'm probably alone here, but so far I kinda miss the secondary title you would get for a certain amount of posts commented on. Its clearly not a game breaking issue but It just felt like a challenge I needed to complete.lol

The titles for post counts are above your icon.

Onto a separate issue, as far as I can tell, when viewing a subforum showing a listing of forums, clicking "Mark this forum as read" doesn't mark the subforums as read, since it apparently only works to mark a list of topics as read, not a list of forums. You seemingly have to open each individual forum and only then does "Mark this forum as read" work. That said, not having a way to mark all as read from the main forums page will get annoying.

The titles for post counts are above your icon.

Onto a separate issue, as far as I can tell, when viewing a subforum showing a listing of forums, clicking "Mark this forum as read" doesn't mark the subforums as read, since it apparently only works to mark a list of topics as read, not a list of forums. You seemingly have to open each individual forum and only then does "Mark this forum as read" work. That said, not having a way to mark all as read from the main forums page will get annoying.

Alllll the way at the bottom, there's a "Mark Community Read" link. I've used it a couple times now.

Alllll the way at the bottom, there's a "Mark Community Read" link. I've used it a couple times now.

Excellent! Chrome tends to cover it up when it displays the URLs as you're hovering over other links. Thanks!

Now if only I can figure out how to make ReMixer names green again on the main forum listing page. I miss that feature from WAY back.

That would imply some sort of extraction scheme to isolate the audio from a YouTube video, for example. I think that would be quite hard...

Just looked it up. Apparently, from a coding perspective, it's a snap.

https://rcdewebmasters.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/embed-audio-only-youtube-video/

I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement that in Invision, but if the admins can get Soundcloud embedding to work, this shouldn't be any harder.  And I personally think it would be friggin' awesome.

This is totally gonna get a while to get used to. xD It's neat though!

Just out of question (or if for some reason someone already asked this and it had already been answered and I was too ignorant to notice it); since there doesn't seem to be much warning in your settings box, do we FINALLY have infinite space for PMs?

This is totally gonna get a while to get used to. xD It's neat though!

Just out of question (or if for some reason someone already asked this and it had already been answered and I was too ignorant to notice it); since there doesn't seem to be much warning in your settings box, do we FINALLY have infinite space for PMs?

djp wrote the limit is now 300 -- however, I seem to have around 500 PMs right now lol

I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement that in Invision, but if the admins can get Soundcloud embedding to work, this shouldn't be any harder.  And I personally think it would be friggin' awesome.

That's not quite what I meant. What you have there is simply a video embed with resized margins to only show the controls. The video itself is still loading in full; what I had in mind was what I would still think is hard: extracting audio from the FLV file and using that as what's embedded, in an audio embed. I would imagine it requires a scanthrough of the video to rip the audio and a dynamic generation of a resultant audio file (like youtube-mp3.org). Honestly, that just sounds like a hassle; it's like reading through a file's coding line by line instead of looking at the whole thing at once (because you can't look at an entire video in zero time), and it sounds like a lot of work to do on each and every video embed.

That's why I would prefer just having the link by itself, so that resources on OCR itself aren't too heavily taxed and there are no extra clicks; you just click once to see the video, versus clicking once to see a website that plays the video. The main differences are that you'll know what the video is before you click once, and that the video embed is harder to load than a simple link.

IIRC, it violates YouTube's terms of service to embed videos without the video competent visible. There's no way we'd do this. We don't feel like having our YT account get bahleeted again. :-D

IIRC, it violates YouTube's terms of service to embed videos without the video competent visible. There's no way we'd do this. We don't feel like having our YT account get bahleeted again. :-D

Hm... it's not 100% clear.  The most relevant clause I can find is this:

If you use the Embeddable Player on your website, you may not modify, build upon, or block any portion or functionality of the Embeddable Player, including but not limited to links back to the YouTube website.

It's clearly intended to prevent removing the link to YouTube, but one could interpret this use as blocking a portion. There's a very clear rule to this effect regarding API use, but the embedded player isn't the same thing.

You could always ask them. Anything explicitly authorized by YouTube in writing is an allowable use.

The extraction method Timaeus described is definitely out for half a dozen violations of the TOS, though. Plus it would not only be a pain, the resources involved would be immense.

We're probably not going to do that because there's value in having videos embeddable. Plus the video is still loading anyway, it's just hidden, which doesn't do anything to improve page load. Also, embedded YouTube videos don't tax the site's resources; any extra time that affects page load come from your local browser, not on OCR's servers.

I don't mean to be dismissive, but Dave's already weighed in on the subject of YouTube embeds and his inclination to leave them as they are for the time being. We can revisit this topic again once we upgrade to IPS 4.x, but at this point in time I'm going to table this discussion. We're not planning on getting into installing a lot of extra plugins and custom BBcode with IPS 3.x (the current forum software version).