Remixer name: RoBKTA ft. dr. halc 
email address:
Website (Facebook Page): https://www.facebook.com/robktamusic
UserID: 53459 

Submission Details
Game Arranged: Ridge Racer 
Arrangement name: Cruisin' 110
Song Arranged: Disco Ball
Additional Information: system Sony PSP, release date 2004, original composer Hiroshi Okubo
Original song: http://youtu.be/X3GLPLsjD24
dr. halc's comments: 
Rob is the man. I think we impressed each other with our Club Needlemouse/Kong albums, and a collab seemed inevitable (though, this is actually our second time working together, the first being an instrumental tune for his "Outrax" compilation album). I didn't have anything to do with the arrangement here, that's all Rob; he hit me up asking if I'd be interested in throwing down some rhymes. I was so inspired by his beat, I wrote and recorded the whole tune within 24 hours! Funky fresh. Ch-yeah!

Lyrics: 

(In da) In da crash (crash)
In da race (in da race)
(Rob) RobKTA drop the bass (drop the bass)
In da race (in da race)
(And the) And the flag (flag)
And it waves (and it waves)

Gentlemen, start your engines
I'm crusin' 110 to infinity against the wind
sense an orange whip in your slipstream then
I zip around your right so fast it puts you in a tail spin
I race to win, first place again
The track bends to my will, and wheels squeel
In my pimped out whip I got a little red button so 
I press that sucker and leave ya eatin' dust yo

That's right
That's right
Ya know its right yo

That's right
That's right
I'm passin on your right bro

That's right
That's right
Ya know its right yo

That's right
That's right
Rob, break it down yo

Got rage for me? Turn the radio on 
And you'll hear the sound of my victory lap song
My boy Rob drops a smooth groove in the passenger seat
Handed me both the mic and the keys
Flow around the track again with each lap
Turn up the sub so loud the glass cracks
Rear-view shattered, better watch your back
'Cuz your bout to get lapped, yo

(chorus)

In da race (in da race)
(Rob) RobKTA drop the bass (drop the bass)
In da race (in da race)

We got a good lead, so lets slow it down
Put on the cruise control, chill out this time around
Kickin' back the seat, feet up on the dash
Changin' up the beat, we ain't gonna crash
Cruisin' ludicrous speed, wanna catch me?
You're calling that fast? We call it half speed
You're gonna wish you were never-ever even born
Hear this whistle play when I slam on the horn
(Can't catch me) When I fly by in my fly ride I got my eyes on the prize
(Can't catch me) Your shit whip gets flipped when it slips on my oil slick
(Can't catch me) Rob break the beat down cause we're taking this race into town
(Can't catch me) Gonna race me? You aint got a chance 'cuz I always take first place (ch-yeah)

(chorus)

Gentlemen, start your engines
I'm crusin' 150 to infinity and back again
Sense an orange whip on your six, see me when
I drift around the corner so fast it puts you in a tail spin
I race to win, first place again
The track bends to my will, and wheels spin 
In my pimped out whip I got a little red button so 
I press that motherfucker and leave ya in the dust, yo

I’ll be crusin’ 110
in the sunrise of the city
In da race (in da race)
I’ll be losin’ you again
in the sunrise of the city
Ridge racer 

(chorus)

Woooo (Ahhh!)
Take it away
RobKTA
Dr. halc
OverClocked ReMix, let's go
You're gonna be hearing more of this
Haha, I like this guy
This is good shit
Ridge Racer get down ya'll
Peace!

This is very cool and the lyrics are awesome!   Very cool disco source, I can see why you wanted to remix it.  I'm not sure I hear much of the source in here though, other than the chord progression and some bass.  The beat is completely different.  I really like this approach though.  Can someone else help me out with the source use?  I hear the bass is playing source from 1:02-1:41 and 2:24-3:06 (bassline is 0:40-1:07 in the source).  Other than this though I don't hear much source at all.

The bass seems to be really lacking in lows.  The lowest element in this mix is the kick and it hits at around 70Hz.  Also the mix peaks at 0.6db, it isn't distorting that I can hear, but anything above 0db seems like an odd ceiling choice.

Despite the very cool lyrics, the track sounds pretty repetitive after awhile, although there are a lot of nice little details.

So... interesting idea, awesome vocals, bass not bassy enough, and is there enough source?  Other Js, halp!

edit 5/16/15:  Listening again, and I still can't discern the source.  If it is there, it's just buried too deeply for me.  I'm going to say this is too liberal, but if Larry can point out where I'm wrong, I'm open to changing my mind.  It is a cool track though!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Really smooth, enjoyable track. Great lyrics and flow, and I really liked the singing section towards the end - it fit the vibe perfectly. Bass is weird, it sounds like everything is high-passed. I mean, it's high-passed at a low frequency so it's not terrible but it still feels like there is a small gap there. Overall, not a dealbreaker though.

I can't figure out how the source is used here at all, and I'm fairly sure it's just not used much. The chords are the same at times, and the chord stab that starts off both songs is very similar and perhaps countable, but used at different rhythms. As the arrangement goes on, the chord stabs are more and more marginalized and I think shouldn't be counted. Disco strings sounded completely different. Even the bassline that Kris pointed out sounds different to me. It wouldn't hurt to get more opinions on this, but I feel fairly confident this is too liberal. Shame too, cause the track is excellent.

NO

the beat starts off sounding very similar to the source but mostly in vibe. once the beat gets goin, it turns G-funk and ditches the disco which is fine in and of itself since that era of hip hop was a homage to the 70s. i think in terms of vibe, the track works really well.

vox are clean and well delivered; i think it's a bit repetitive, lyrically... there just isn't that much lyrical content here and after about the 2nd or 3rd time through, it's pushing it a bit. it's adequately catchy but it would need to be considerably more so for that much repetition to be effective

i don't really hear the issue with the bass; it feels consistent with the style of hip hop this harkens to. the beat itself is pretty incredible actually, very smooth and stays fresh even within the constraints of the genre. i'm also totally hip to the transitions and embellishments throughout. very well done. i think the more pressing issue ought to be how much source is here; the chords are mangled but they're there. it's very liberal but i can hear it in there.

all in all, this is a YES for me if we can sort out the source usage in this.

YES (pending source usage discussion) = ?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm not hearing the source tune used much at all, particularly during the verses. Palpable pointed out the only meaningful connections I could make out (1:02-1:41 & 2:24-3:06). Even in the intro where it's clearly the original song, it just sounds like it's sampling the "Disco Ball" audio with effects. "Can't catch me" vocals were flat, particularly around 2:49-2:53; fix that. Otherwise, I enjoyed the track, but, yeah, where's the source tune in all of this?

This is a traditional remix that heavily samples the original audio, but the name of the game here is arrangement. Rob/Drew, if we're overlooking something that makes it clear the source tune melody or parts are explicitly referenced, let us know. As far as I can tell, this is a perfectly fine original track that's inspired by Ridge Racer, and references the source tune some, but not nearly enough to be dominant, so it falls outside what we're looking for.

NO