*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Ocarina of Time Medley on Piano'

Chimpazilla

Hi there!

Someone on reddit referred me to your site. Such a great place! Do I have to submit an Mp3 or can I submit a video remix?

If videos are allowed, I improvised an Ocarina of Time Medley which has 8 songs mashed together or separated individually by transitions. If they're not allowed, please just watch and enjoy anyway :)

Game: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Arrangement: Ocarina of Time Medley on Piano

Songs

1. Title Theme

2. Saria's Song (+title theme attached)

3. The Great Deku Tree

4.  Fairy Flying

5. Serenade of Water

6. Song of Storms

7. Link's House

8. Treasure Chest Opening

Composer: Probably doesn't need to be said, but original compositions by the unbelievable Koji Kondo. All rights to Nintendo. 

Notes: I improvised this mix after choosing some of my favorite songs from the game and deciding the order in which they'd go. I recorded on  a Yamaha digital using Garageband. LOZ: OOT is my favorite game of all time, one of the first I remember playing - it came out when I was 8 years old and quite ill - so at a time when I was going through a lot it made me feel like a strong hero :) That's the power of video games. Part of the magic, mystery, and beauty of the game is in the music, so as a musician I can never resist the chance to translate it to piano whenever I can. Please enjoy!  

My name is Claire Waluch (YouTuber PrettyPrettyPianist) and email is . 

Website (YouTube)

Website (Facebook)

Forum name: just registered as pppianist1.

THANKS for watching, have a lovely Sunday :)

Best,

Claire

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

WOW this is so unbelievably good.  So much YES here... except that it is a straight medley with one source tune following another, very conservatively, although with lovely little personalizations.  They are well transitioned, although some transitions are necessarily awkward between such different source tunes.  Sound quality is top notch.  This is so lovely, but is it ok for us?  Larry, what say you?  If we approve it we will need an mp3 or wav.

edit 5/19/15:  I'm going to have to vote no since this medley does not meet our standards.  I'm sad about this because it is REALLY good. 

NO

• 2 weeks later...

here we go again with these zelda medleys! it's a completely unoriginal concept that was being done by touring zelda symphonies for well over a decade!! COME ON (raging anti-medley bias raging out of control)

::breathe::

first things first. beautiful. superb pianist, truly. i love love love this performance. you have such fine touch. lots of folks can play the piano and play it really well. there's just a level of expression here that makes this about as pleasant a listen as any piano work on this site. 

BUT... this is painfully straightforward. it's well arranged for the piano but it suffers from the fail that all of these sorts of medleys suffer from; none of these brilliant little arrangements do anything because they don't have time to do it unless you were to compose a massive, sweeping hour long journey of these sources... THEN i may offer to have all your babies. otherwise, i've heard all of these themes a thousand times over and this doesn't bring anything new to any of them :\ 

i like this, don't get me wrong. it's well performed, it sounds clean and i might be listening to it for the rest of the day while i work at the office... but as far as the submission to our site goes? no idea... so, like kris, i toss this one over to larry and let him figure it out lolol

?
(damn these station-to-station, it's-a-small-world-ride medleys!!! auugh)

I haven't been around much so I realize this has fallen out of the lexicon, but we have a word for this:  

Medlytits: (noun) - A problem afflicting a great many submissions of more than one source song, in which melodic variety is used in place of actual arrangement.  -  "She's a very tasteful pianist, but her arrangement has got some serious medlytits." 

Great job, very well-played, but this is a medley, not really an arrangement.  It's not at all without merit, but it's not what we post here.

NO

We only post MP3s, so we'd prefer submissions in MP3, WAV or FLAC format. But when there are performance or music videos, we also link to those as well, on the writeup pages. We'd also prefer arrangement titles that are more personalized, just FYI.

This is a great performance. Nice production to let the piano sound airy.

How did I become the arbiter of medley-itis? :lol: Right, so that's what up for debate here. Well, when Vig says it's "not really an arrangement," he means it's not a cohesive, interpretive arrangement according to OCR's standards (because obviously this is an arrangement for piano). As far as the OCR arrangement standards goes, the standards are pretty clear with medleys...

2. Submissions incorporating more than one source are allowed, but are not given special consideration or leniency with regard to the submission standards.

• Your submission must have a strong focus and direction. Medleys must sound like a single song, not multiple songs pasted together.

I'll say, many of the transitions here are actually OK, but yeah, this isn't an arrangement with a strong focus and direction, it's just snapshots of most of these themes pieced together without much interpretation. The transitions aren't all sudden; there's care put into shifting to each song, but after the first 2 minutes, it's just jumping around from theme to theme for brief looks with little interpretation, then it moves on:

3. The Great Deku Tree - 30 seconds

4. Fairy Flying - 15 seconds

5. Serenade of Water - 40 seconds

6. Song of Storms - 32 seconds

7. Link's House - 28 seconds

8. Treasure Chest Opening - 20 seconds

Though it's a phenomenal medley adaptation to piano, the arrangement is super conservative and straightforward in the big picture, which makes it a NO-go vis a vis our arrangement standards. It's still a baller track, but falls outside what we're looking for - we look for focused, developed, interpretive medleys that flow more like a unified arrangement. A few abrupt transitions or brief, undeveloped theme cameos can be in there, but that can't be the meat of the structure.

IMO, something like Claire's take on "Hyrule Field" is still relatively conservative but has more personalization of the theme and allows for more interpretation and focus on one idea.

We're not anti-medley at all, by the way; we have lots of them posted. On the Zelda side, WillRock's "Fragments of a Legend" and Xenon Odyssey's "Royal Treasure" are examples of Ocarina of Time medleys that use several themes but are structured like one composition. Another example that's solo piano is Daybreaker's Zelda medley across multiple games, "Memories of an Ocarina." You certainly don't have to do what she did there, but we're actually pretty flexible. The takeaway is that medleys on OC ReMix need to feel like cohesive, focused compositions, not just "Theme A, then Theme B, then Theme C, then Theme D, then Theme E"...

Claire, your performances rock. If you have anything else that's more interpretive or a medley that's more interpretive and cohesive, we're here. I definitely hope we hear more from you as far as submissions, as we'd clearly love to have something of yours posted.

NO