*NO* Crash Bandicoot 3 'ARFWOW (A Room from Which One Warps)'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer Name:  Dr. Title

Email:  
Userid:  53938

Name of Game:  Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Name of Arrangement:  ARFWOW (A Room From Which One Warps)
Name of Song:  Warp Room
Original Composer:  Mark Mothersbaugh
Platform:  Playstation 1

Link to Original:

Made with Apple's Logic Pro 9.
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Well this is interesting!  Lots of unique ideas here, cool stuff.  I certainly hear plenty of source.  Fun groove established right away.  Nice filtering effects.  I feel like the mix ended up being too long, some sections are double what they should be to make their point, for example 0:55-1:23 should be half the length or contain many more items of interest.  The sound at 1:23 is pretty cheesy, and the drop that it leads to at 1:38 is a let down.

The transition at 3:22 is quite interesting, but the section that follows is straight-up boring, sorry to say.  It is so slow, I can't wait for it to pick up again.  At 4:52, there is some interesting syncopation happening, but it isn't filled out very much so it sounds awkward and bare.  At 5:20 though, I like how you filtered the arp out and the drums in, that's an example of something that works well in the track.  

Lots of good arrangement ideas here, and some that fall completely flat.  I do think this is a good start, there are lots of great ideas, it just needs to be trimmed down by nearly half and it needs some more development as well, more ear candy and more variation.  The drums in particular are very generic kick-clap without a lot of interest.  The bass always plays the same thing.  Cut this track down, then have fun with what's left, and let's hear this one again.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

lol hmm

on one hand, this is absolutely good... in a totally unconventional, hard-to-pinpoint sort of way. it's borderline trolling with how entertaining this awkward sounding, lo-fi "Dance"-ish type of tune is. there are segments such as the lead-up and then winding-down transition at 3:22..., and then you take us on this spaced out, hazy, muted slow draw where you basically bored Chimpy to sleep. furthermore, there's the issue of entire sections dragging on but then you do something like the chop-n-go from 4:50 to 5:30 and, again, it's great. then the ending happens and it's not so great :\

in general, the track also sounds distant and muted. the backbone of the piece, its drums and bass, are repetitive and drag; i personally dig its vibe and can listen to it on repeat but finding it entertaining and deeming it up to the bar are two different things. this needs a significant amount of work before it's passable

NO

• 1 month later...
The opening sounds like an anemic MIDI rip, it feels like all the high-end got cut, and there's the orch stabs for maximum cheese. A minute in, and I'm not sure why this is still so quiet; wondering if this will built to anything... OK, here's some synths getting louder at 1:23... well, not much louder. Yeah, the overall volume seems too low.

The track's also pretty spartan in terms of the instrumentation. Basic synths, claps, and orch stabs without any polish in how they're used. The whole track is basically like this where everything's too quiet, the instrumentation's thin and the textures aren't filled out or cohesive. Unfortunately not much potential here for an arrangement like this, Patrick, when the production is so lacking. Keep at it though.

NO