Dedication to the Rejections

I thought I'd start a topic to honor those who have put out their honest hard work to the judges, but for whatever reason, didn't make the cut.

Perhaps make a place on the internet just for this. Call it OCReJex or OCReJects. ;-)  Maybe make some album artwork to go with it. Kinda like OLReMiX but not as funny.

Anyway, I'll start:

Anyone remember Battletoads - Cold Chillin' ? It was so basic; so minimalistic; so chill; and so rejected. But it will always have a special place in my iTunes folder.

Once we move forward with our plans to integrate the workshop with the overall site database, the concept of "rejections" won't carry quite as much weight... mixes accepted by the judges panel or direct-posted will be "featured" mixes, but everything else in the workshop (WIP, finished, submitted) will show up on the main listings, etc.

In other words, there will no longer be a need for a separate site that accepts everything (which is basically YouTube/SoundCloud anyways, except those will always be bigger), nor will there be a need for a separate site to host rejections. Will people still insist there's a need for those types of sites after we make this change? I guess we'll see...

I thought I'd start a topic to honor those who have put out their honest hard work to the judges, but for whatever reason, didn't make the cut.

Perhaps make a place on the internet just for this. Call it OCReJex or OCReJects. ;-)  Maybe make some album artwork to go with it. Kinda like OLReMiX but not as funny.

DJP already said why this isn't necessary, but let's just suppose for a second that the site wasn't undergoing a change and that workshop integration is not going to be a thing... here are some problems with OCReJects:

1. Resubs. What if a person gets rejected but wants to resub their mix? What if they put it on OCReJects but decide to fix it and make it better? Should they be able to remove it from OCReJects or are they locked into being a ReJected? What if I don't WANT to make my remix publicly known as rejected? Is it automatic or manual submission?

2. The concept of dedicating a place for rejected people irks me. I don't know why anyone would want to associate with that label and why people would publicly post their music under a title of "ReJected".

3. Breeding ground for flaming. You're dedicating an entire site's mission (ocrejects) to promoting whatever is contrary to the standards of ocremix. That automatically means that everyone who listens to and has favorite music on ocrejects is aware that ocremix is a place that denies their favorite music and facilitates even more ocremix-hate ("arbitrary standards!" "they only like techno!" "they only like metal!" "they only accept professionally engineered music!") than there already is. It's as if you're taking all of the ocremix-haters scattered about the internet and giving them a focused place and banner to rally behind.

I know you mean well, but try to be more sensitive when proposing how a new site/community functions and what it stands for. I certainly recommend not calling it "OCReJects", but since OCReMix is undergoing changes, it won't be necessary to give it any more thought.

ok but I had a thought: what if it were just a site for resubs 

like a blog of sorts, where a judge panel compares the rejected remix with the resubbed remix, see what was improved, how it could be improved further, talks about relevant sound design / arrangement techniques etc. 

it'd be a neat way to learn about what's important in a song and get ideas from the know-how people, and it's not incongruent with the revised WIP forum. it'd be like reading the judges decision thread, but more educational. that'd be cool. 

/2¢

I don't know why everyone's jumping to conclusions. I didn't say anything about creating a site. All i stated was a place on the internet. a.k.a. this forum, this thread.

First of all, if it were my intention to create a database, I wouldn't accept everything and anything. First and foremost, only the rejections (does ThaSauce do that?) It has to at least make it to the judges panel. I believe that's quality control enough. Second, nothing that's deemed by the judges ReSubmit and where the ReMixer intends to resubmit.

Second: ReSubs. Kinda covered that.

Third: The concept of ReJects. The name is a bit of a joke. If someone doesn't want to be associated with ReJects, they can choose not to have their music posted.

Fourth: Breeding Ground for Flaming. Is this really a problem? Do we have OCHaTers here? If so, wouldn't it be better to make a separate site for the trolls to flock to? Don't get me wrong. I'm not facilitating hate. All I'm trying to do is show appreciation for those who didn't meet the guidelines here and might not know if they have a cult following. This is more specific to members here who don't have a single accepted ReMix, such as TomyS who created the Battletoads ReMix I posted above. (Does he even go here anymore? I'd like to contact him.) And more importantly, ReMixers who don't intend to resubmit their work.

Fifth: Submission guidelines. I would only have three criteria for submissions:

1. It must be rejected by the judges panel

2. There must be one person (other than the ReMixer(s)) who likes the music (preferably the one who's making the submission)

3. (This one's important) The ReMixer must give consent for their music to be posted. So where's the controversy?

Sixth: How am I being insensitive?

Seriously, it's like every time I make a post here, you guys make me out to be a Satan worshipist (that's only half true).

I don't know why everyone's jumping to conclusions. I didn't say anything about creating a site. All i stated was a place on the internet. a.k.a. this forum, this thread.

Uhh...

Perhaps make a place on the internet just for this. Call it OCReJex or OCReJects. ;-)

Why would you say "Perhaps make a place on the internet just for this" if you're claiming now that you already made it by starting the thread.

The first sentence says that's what the topic's for. The second sentence implied a different place, not the same exact place. :lol: You set yourself up for that.

The first sentence says I'd start a topic. The second sentence is a hopeful implication that it will take off, whether it be a popular thread or another site. I was hoping to start a discussion about submitted ReMixes that people like but weren't accepted.

At least before people started jumping onto the devil's advocate wagon. hmph.gif

OCReJects is already a thing - it's called my YouTube channel. 

Pretty much this.

Here's the thing:

• If you want to get your mix on OCR, post in WiP and polish it with the help of others and mods.
  • If not, go post it somewhere else.

Sorry, but it sounds like you just want OCR to promote your rejected mixes, even if they are not good enough to be actually posted on the website. I experienced a lot of rejections, and if the mix isn't good enough, I either post it on my SC/YT channels and leave them be, or (less often) re-work them and re-sub them.

Now, djp's idea sounds cool, I'd like to see how it'll be implemented and managed.