Mad Max: Fury Road

lazygecko

Resident lurker, here.

Watched it, loved it, nothing more to say on the matter.

But for all that is holy; buy the damned dvd/blu-ray when it comes out and show some support for the practical effects that the movie has majestically graced us with.

2015 is basically the year of practical effects. 

and spy movies. Lots of spy movies too.

the citadel wasn't undefended; I'm not sure if you somehow just missed the ending scene but the large majority of the war boys were still at the citadel by the time furiosa returned

Right... and the only reason she doesn't meet substantial resistance is because they can produce Joe. TBH it DOES seem a bit off... the citadel wasn't undefended, as you say, but Joe does excitedly say that it is... Max/Furiosa's plan would never have worked if Joe & co. hadn't been stopped.... and even so, without having him to show, they would have been attacked. It all kinda... works out. Didn't bother me much, but seems like a legit observation.

I watched it the other day. I liked it. To be honest I was expecting all kinds of feminist propaganda after reading some of the discussions here :razz:, but I barely even noticed that angle.

I think you CAN watch right past it, and I think a lot of people are, and I think that's fine.

To me the "Who killed the world?" and "Our babies will not be warlords" scrawled in giant black letters in the first 15 minutes, and the repetition of the first of those sentences as actual dialog, was a bit of a tell... not to mention not just having the escapees be "breeders," but going for the visual/emotional jugular of one of them being quite pregnant. Like I said, you can watch right past it and enjoy the movie just fine... and perhaps ideology/message actually work best when it's a little more subtle like that, as opposed to overtly preachy. I don't think either myself or Bleck have indicated that it's propagandist... just ideological.

Right... and the only reason she doesn't meet substantial resistance is because they can produce Joe. TBH it DOES seem a bit off... the citadel wasn't undefended, as you say, but Joe does excitedly say that it is... Max/Furiosa's plan would never have worked if Joe & co. hadn't been stopped.... and even so, without having him to show, they would have been attacked. It all kinda... works out. Didn't bother me much, but seems like a legit observation.

the citadel wasn't undefended; I'm not sure if you somehow just missed the ending scene but the large majority of the war boys were still at the citadel by the time furiosa returned

Well, not to try and retcon this one too much, but what would you do if the Immortal Leader/God you've unconditionally worshiped your whole life was dragged back bleeding, broken and bested? I see not so much a giving up, but rather a realization of the the superstition, not a victory, in a military sense, but a new awareness. Why fight for a dead faulty belief system?  

My wife and I had 0 interest in watching this movie, possibly negative interest.  We were not attracted by the billboards nor the trailers.  I was just impressed and intrigued by the 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and I figured I wanted to see what all the fuss was about this "explosions in the desert" film, and I wanted to see it at least once in the theater.  Even when we bought tickets, I wasn't excited to see it at all; I wanted to get it over with like ripping off a band-aid.  But we ending up really, really loving it.  Spoilers.

I haven't seen any of the prior films.  I thought the beginning was boring and kind of weird.  The first 'neat' moment for me was when Furiosa got out of her truck thing to shoot a guy behind them, reminded me of Vincent Valentine from Advent Children.  But then, [AGAIN, SPOILERS] I was pretty much sold when they were shooting at the motorcycle guys flying back and forth.  There's this recurring theme in media where a 'ragtag team' or a 'bunch of misfits' get together to accomplish a goal, Star Wars comes to mind, a bunch of FF games, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.  I don't mind the recurring theme as long as it's done well, and I thought it was done so well in this movie.  I thought it was done so much better than GotG, but I didn't love that film like most people did.  But that's a different story.

At the end of the movie, I just gave out a heavy sigh, and it was so exhilarating for me that it felt like I was holding my breath the whole time.  I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie.  It's just a super weird and awesome feeling to go into a movie having no expectations, and just coming out blown away.  I am recommending it to everyone I know, which is basically my wife and anyone who reads this.

• 2 weeks later...