• ReMixer name: Toni Leys
  • email address: 
  • Userid: 48173

• Name of game: Freedom Planet
  • Name of arrangement: A Mystic Lineage
  • Name of song arranged: Dragon Valley 1
  • Composer: Leila Wilson (Woofle)
  • System: PC / Steam
  • Link to the original soundtrack: http://galaxytrail.bandcamp.com/album/freedom-planet-official-soundtrack
  • Comments: My favorite track from the game, wanted to take it and make it more bombastic and exciting (which was hard since the original was exciting enough for me) and made a harder arrangement combining electronic and acoustic sounds as is my style and the original soundtrack's. The guitar solo was recorded by my friend Esteban Bellucci as a "Let's see what happens", it turned out into a super great solo. Made with love to the guys from 'Galaxy Trail'.

Just a few notes at this point, this sounds nice but there is significant copy/pasta between the first and second halves, although a wide panned arp has been added in the second half.  The guitar solo is wonderful but is mixed just a bit too quietly.  I like the slap bass.  Sine lead and accent are both a bit piercy.  Drums are repetitive.  I wish there was more guitar in here.

edit 6/11/15:  I still find the drums repetitive, but I think it is the snare and too-loud/dry hats giving me this impression, so I apologize if I'm overlooking more details in drum elements that are less noticeable.  I'm not a fan of the first lead that sounds like a pan flute, it seems a bit weak.  Wow, that guitar work is really good, I still wish there was more guitar and a drop louder in the mix.  I wish 0:59-1:29 was more different from 2:35-3:05, the only difference I hear is the wide-panned sequenced sine.  After 3:05, the section of 2:35-3:05 just repeats until fadeout.  This bothers me, but not a dealbreaker.  I'm not finding any overcompression, I don't hear any and SPAN shows the RMS right around -11db which is just fine imo.

YES

Lots of attention to detail. Synth design is well-done. Expressive and organic. Your leads have a vocal quality that works well. Nice rhythmic control with those turnarounds, nice transitions. I think you've improved the original. The overall volume is burning but it's alright. I would cut back on the compression.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

:00 - :07 Original

:08 - :12 Part of the bridge melody at OST :49

:13 - :29 It's possible the bassline is based on OST backing, but too much of a stretch for me

:30 - :59 Main melody from OST

1:00 - 1:06 Original (could be super simplified part of OST bridge, but too liberal to count)

1:07 - 1:13 Part of bridge melody again OST :49

1:14 - 1:20 Original

1:21 - 1:26 OST :49

1:27 - 1:29 Original

1:30 - 1:35 Sounds somewhat like the backing pattern from the intro of OST.  Very iffy here.

1:36 - 2:05 Main melody again

2:06 - 2:12 Original

2:13 - 2:18 OST :49

2:19 - 2:27 Original

2:28 - 2:32 OST :49

2:33 - 2:42 Original

2:43 - 2:50 OST :49

2:51 - 2:56 Original

2:57 - 3:03 OST :49

3:04 - 3:11 Original

3:12 - 3:17 OST :49

3:18 - 3:34 Original (inaudible)

215 seconds total with 117 seconds source usage = 55%

This analysis is a bit tricky because it sounds like the first half of the bridge line is being modified to the point of being original, while the second half is used much more closely to the OST.  This becomes a repeated motif throughout the remix in general and encompasses the majority of the second half of the track.  Fortunately, even not counting half of each time the bridge is used, it still gets it over the 50% mark.

Really loving the energy that this track is bringing to the OST.  Lots of well-written synth & bass parts as well as some subtle creativity on the lead lines.  Would've loved to hear more of that guitar lead that didn't come in until the second half.

On the production end, there are some balance issues present.  Snare, hats, & backing synths are a bid louder than needed compared to the leads.  Some of the wide panned hihat-type sounds get distracting because of this (careful, once you hear that, you can't un-hear it ;) ).  The kick becoms difficult to make out in the busier sections.  Some of the synth leads were a bit piercing in the upper frequencies.

On first blush, the drum writing struck me as a bit repetitive, but upon closer listen there is quite a bit going on with tom hits and the kick - it's just that the snare and hats really dominate, so it's difficult to pick up on.

Definitely some copy-pasta of the :59 section coming back at 2:36 - 3:17, which is a shame, because there's so much room for additional creativity here, even in the later stages of the song.

I could see the possibility of some NO's based on the copy/paste section at the end and, to a lesser extent, the balance issues.  Overall, I think the strength of the rest of the track is enough to push it over the bar for me personally.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Very poppy and worlds better than the original. Nice synth work and the guitar lead was a pleasant surprise - I particularly like how it wasn't overused. Nice variations in most instruments, a good chunk of original stuff - almost too much as Nutritious points out, but you have hit this very well. Source could be clearer but if you've hit the mark you've hit it.

Awww but a fade out :(

YES