*NO* DuckTales 'Six Days in the Mountains'

Chimpazilla

Yeehaw!!!  I just love the Blue Ridge Mountain sound going here with the geetars and banjo!!!  The performances are all wonderful.

Ok so right away, I don't like the wide panning of the two guitars, they are too loud and the wide panning makes them not sit nicely in the mix.  The lead that starts at 0:21 sits much more nicely in the mix.  Yeah the two wide panned guitars feel awkward to me.

Wow, banjo solo starting at 1:16!  The banjo is much too quiet here though and it sounds like a backing element, leaving the section of 1:16-1:53 sounding leadless.

I'm not sure I hear enough source overall.  0:57-1:53 is all soloing but I hear the backing chord structure. 1:53-3:10 seems wholly original, am I missing something?  Most of the second half has no source from what I can hear.  Still, very cool concept.  I'd love to hear this again fixed up!

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Yeehaw!!!  I just love the Blue Ridge Mountain sound going here with the geetars and banjo!!!  The performances are all wonderful.

Ok so right away, I don't like the wide panning of the two guitars, they are too loud and the wide panning makes them not sit nicely in the mix.  The lead that starts at 0:21 sits much more nicely in the mix.  Yeah the two wide panned guitars feel awkward to me.

Wow, banjo solo starting at 1:16!  The banjo is much too quiet here though and it sounds like a backing element, leaving the section of 1:16-1:53 sounding leadless.

I'm not sure I hear enough source overall.  0:57-1:53 is all soloing but I hear the backing chord structure. 1:53-3:10 seems wholly original, am I missing something?  Most of the second half has no source from what I can hear.  Still, very cool concept.  I'd love to hear this again fixed up!

NO (resubmit)

Don't usually like doing this but Kris covered literally every issue I had with this piece. LOVE the approach. Gotta bring that Banjo up. Source usage in the back half drops off. Can another J corroborate?

NO, resub

As far as the production/mixing, I see what Chimpa's talking about, but I wasn't bothered by the panning or levels of anything, at least enough where I think that should hold this back.

As far as the arrangement goes, I agreed with the theme not being present in the second half. I needed at least 95.5 seconds overt source usage in a 3:11-long track for the VGM to be dominant in the arrangement:

:00-:57.5, 1:07.25-1:11.75, 1:14.5-1:35 = 82.5 seconds or 43.19% overt source usage

I tried to give as much credit there as possible. The arrangement of the first half was conservative, but personalized well, and there was a lot of smart usage of not just the melody but the bassline and backing patterns as well. The performance was expressive, yet laid back, so the mood here was excellent.

After 1:35 though, 1:35-1:53 just follows the chord progression, but doesn't explicitly use the theme in a way I could recognize, then 1:53 until the end didn't sound connected to the source at all, and never circled back to it. So that was it for the DuckTales theme usage. Going back to the theme's not required for the song structure, but in this case, not doing that at some point in the second half meant the Himalayas theme wasn't the dominant part of this piece.

Even with brief returns of a backing line here and there during all that soloing, that could have been enough to keep the Himalayas theme in play a little longer. The track's awesome in a vacuum, but we would need some more Himalayas theme used in the arrangement to make the VGM dominant in the arrangement. If you were willing to revisit this, you could add a bit more of the source tune somewhere and this could easily pass. Sweet piece though, Henrik; your musicianship's never in doubt.

NO (resubmit)