"Neo Oslo" - Sci-Fi Noir Cyberpunk Theme

Neifion

Yep. That is cool.

If was being a nit-picking fuckdick, I would say get rid of all the organic instruments and just go full synthcore on that shit :twisted:

Hey, thanks for listening! I hear you, though the client wanted there to be a distinct Nordic element and it was kind of fun to bust out a nyckelharpa sound. :D

Hm. Well, I like the atmosphere you had going on. Nice touch with the subtle plucking starting at 0:46 on the right. There were a few compositional choices I think could have been improved though:

- The OSC-sync-like phasing sound at 0:56 - 1:13 feels like it goes so low that it loses a tonal center, and I guess I could describe it better by saying that you could hear a similar effect by playing chords on a piano. If you play a C major chord near middle C, it sounds great. If you play it 4 octaves down, it sounds like mush because the frequencies are more closely spaced. In this case, I think that's happening, but on that phasing sound.

- At 1:44, it felt like something bassy was introduced, but it felt indistinct. Something percussive, maybe a bass drum. It comes back at 2:01. I think it could have been replaced with something more audible, because it clashes with the bass sound you seem to have there too.

Overall I do dig the vibe you had when you introduced that sound at 0:20 (was that the nyckelharpa?), and there are some subtle additions to the soundscape that ultimately help fill it in. It's mostly cohesive, tonally. I just think stepping back and listening to the big picture, and seeing if everything sounds distinct enough, would help on making a clearer track.

The track was meant to be somewhat murky. That might sound like a cop out, but honestly I didn't want things to be crystal clear (hence the fuzzy soundscape introduced in the beginning). I was going for grimy, seedy, kind of shady quality. Yeah, I know that synth at 0:56 was low, but that's how I wanted it. I had a story in my head; like a guy walking down the street passing by a shady club. He can kind of pick out some of the melody, but it's indistinct, fuzzy. At 1:44 is a synth bass drop to accent that moment, and at 2:01 is a bass drum. I listened again, but I didn't notice any clashing.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time listen and offer some thoughts. I think they're mostly a matter of taste; I do a lot of hybrid cinematic and orchestral stuff and I think that lends to favoring a slightly dirty, not precisely pristine sound.