OCR03158 - Final Fantasy II "Imperial Rapture"

Liontamer

Ok, after listening to this I do see the judges' argument; there are times that it is tough to pick out the original source, and the mix does keep you off-balance. But after an initial minute, this thing starts hitting all levels of awesome. 2:15-3:00 is especially great (and recognizable), and I am majorly impressed with the different feel and emotions the artist was able to create; the fadeout and quiet of 3:42-4:05 with the single, faint, high screech behind was FABULOUS, reminiscent of Doom and some downright eerie metal writing. Goes to prove that you need not blow out ear drums all the time to really grab the listener - well done!!

Overall, I was quite impressed. Yes, maybe the first minute and late 4's are a little varied off the original, but I have to say that the interest, sheer range of quality in the mix, and those amazing sections are so worth the listen! Grab and enjoy something different than a simple metal verison of this source - this one is complex and thoughtfully dangerous.

• 4 weeks later...

The source was definitely there in one way or another later on, and with plenty of interpretation to boot, this is a fine liberal ReMix. The key thing is how clean it sounds. Excellent production, smart writing choices and keeping things brutally metal while changing the tempo or the emphasis on where the drums and guitar hit make this an enjoyable mix. Well done, looking forward to hearing more.

• 4 months later...

Hum, that drum solo at the beginning is nice. The overall production is clean. I really like where this is going: blast beats and then harpischord and strings? That's interesting! Some parts reminded me of the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth soundtrack (which I love). I liked the quieter parts too, with the cleaner guitars. Excellent and polished work. :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03158 - Final Fantasy II "Imperial Rapture"