OCR03222 - *YES* Deus Ex 'Only in Novels'

Liontamer

Game: Deus Ex

Original track: DuClare Chateau

Arrangement name: Only in Novels

The arrangement is available on SoundCloud as an MP3.

ReMixer name: Xae if one is required, otherwise real name is fine.

Email:

User ID: 41883

I don't think I've got any comments.

-----------------------------------------

While the production wasn't perfect, the muddyness did add body to the piano sound; things were OK overall.

Arrangement-wise, the new supporting writing, while simple, wasn't taken from the source. Combining that with the adaptation to piano, changes to the source's bridge and slowed tempo for the finish at 2:33 was enough to consider this a pass.

It's not a blowaway piece as far as twists with the source arrangement or dramatic dynamic shifts, but Daniel gets the job done with a solid subtractive approach to the source while adapting it for piano.

YES

Awwww yeah, this is one of my favorite VGM sources ever. The arrangement you've done here is simple, but I think it's probably substantive enough to pass muster. I'm not a fan of the ultra muddy sound, though--it's really honestly kinda hard to hear at a normal volume. This could do with some mastering love for sure, at least, and (possibly) a different piano patch, if this was recorded via MIDI. Thinking about how this would sound next to other piano pieces OCR has published, I suspect the listener would have to drastically adjust their listening setup in order to make it seem as though it fit.  Should be louder and brighter. Doesn't mean it needs to have its dynamics killed, by any means! Just needs to be more audible.

Heck, if you have a .wav or other lossless file of this around, I'd be happy to give it a run through a mastering chain myself. As it stands though, I'm gonna vote as a ...

NO (please resub!)

This is the hardest type of arrangement to do well, I believe - subtractive, solo instrument, sparse. As a mostly electronic musician, I'm always bowled over when an arranger can do this right because it just feels so far from the realm of what I can accomplish. It's almost like we have two different hobbies. Personal reflections aside, this is gorgeous, haunting, careful, and definitely well-played. Great piece.

YES