OCR03181 - Xenon "Xoldin' Out for a Xero"

Liontamer

The vibe I get from this mix is one of a serious, timed mission with invigorating reprieves interspersed. The relative key changes certainly help with this.

I like how the source's melodic quirks are characterized here. For instance, the 8-bit warbles match the beat with 8 quips in one bar and then lag to 6 beats in the next - it gives me the impression of a jogger starting at a steady pace before getting distracted by something (mentally, visually, whatever) and running at a slower speed accordingly. I also like the different textural colorations of that 3-note rising arpeggio (it plays 3 times per bar before advancing up the scale a little): it's played by a slightly muted guitar, a humming synth that morphs into a stringed instrument, and a chewy lead at different times. Even more amazing is how they all play together at 3:52+. Really cool.

Love the female voice at 3:04+ and the snide laugh at 3:24 (cuz why not). The "Sector #" announcements are OK - the 2nd one sounds more fitting because it heralds a change in tone/direction, whereas the 1st catches me off-guard sometimes. But I can't imagine the mix without 'em.

• 1 month later...

I think I've listened to this over 100 times now! Xenon was the game to inspire my username, and I absolutely love everything about this remix, including the variations so well integrated throughout.

A review of Xenon 'Xoldin' Out for a Xero' by a user named Xenonetix is the pinnacle of Xenonnery; achievement unlocked :)

I think I've listened to this over 100 times now! Xenon was the game to inspire my username, and I absolutely love everything about this remix, including the variations so well integrated throughout.

A review of Xenon 'Xoldin' Out for a Xero' by a user named Xenonetix is the pinnacle of Xenonnery; achievement unlocked :)

This was the review I was xoldin' out for :razz:

• 2 months later...

Whoa, this hits me pretty hard on a nostalgic level, with the whole computer-tech-rock arrangement going on. So much energy, it's hard not to get pumped up with this music and the cool little switch-ups were a treat. The use of the voice clips were great, and being a fan of storms, female vocals and Vincent Price, having all those sounds in the mix really made me smile. This is the kind of get up and go ReMix I need in the morning. Great work man!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03181 - Xenon "Xoldin' Out for a Xero"