*NO* Pokémon Red Version 'Lavender, Flower of Sadness'

Chimpazilla

Remix Name: Lavender, Flower of Sadness

Original Title: Lavender Town
System: Gameboy
Game: Pokemon red/blue
Genre: Progressive metal (odd time signatures)
Remixer name: Stubz1989
Account Id: u= 54118

Notes: This track is all recorded mixed and mastered by me, From the ground up scratch, drums programmed of course, recorded via pod farm for guitars. This is one of many songs im trying to get accepted by OCREMIX. More of a simple loop, than alot of changing, kind of to stay true to the eerie feel of lavender town. i plan on doing the pokemon silver and gold version eventually or a combination of the two. Being a lover of both prog metal and this eerie tune , i just had to record this.

Edited by Flexstyle
thread closed for final decision

No doubt plenty of Lavender source here.  Nice idea to make a metal mix!  Drums sound pretty good.  Bass sounds muddy and indistinct.  The theme gets repetitive with almost no variation on it.  I like the guitar chugs, but I'm not sure about the mixing, as the guitar chugs are mixed very upfront as if they were the lead when they are playing (at 0:56 and 1:44).  So, my issues are theme repetition and mixing of the chugs.  

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Kris has got this right; the repetition is definitely an issue to be addressed here. I'd take a look at some of the more recently posted mixes to see how they arranged and personalized the mixes. Adding some variations and change-ups will help diversify your mix and keep things fresh.

The mixing is also a bit off. Kris mentioned the chugs being pretty up front and that's the first thing I noticed as well. Id look into cleaning up done of those issues.

I really like your concept here, but currently it doesn't feel like it's in a finished state for OCR. Both the arrangement and the mixing need some work here, but I think you're off to a good start. Hit up our WIP forums to get some further feedback. Hope to hear more from you in the future!

No (resubmit)

+1 to all the above, plus I'd add this extra bit of feedback: I know you said you programmed your drums, and that's fine--most people here do that as well. However, I could tell that there was practically zero attempt to humanize those drums. You gotta give me something besides the kick, snare, hats, and cymbals always being at the same velocity, man! A real drummer doesn't hit everything exactly locked to the grid, and even the tightest drummers absolutely don't play every single drum the same way at the same loudness--it's the dynamics that can really make a piece. Gotta get me some love on dem drums.

Keep all this good stuff in mind, and definitely visit the Workshop forums--you'll get a lot of really great feedback there as well. Good luck!

NO