*NO* California Games (GEN) 'California Surfing'

Palpable

Hi,

Please find attached my remix of the Surfing theme from the Sega Genesis version of California Games.

ReMixer name: DeekayGeee

Email: 

Web: https://soundcloud.com/original-soundtrack/

UserID: 53675

Name of game arranged: California Games

Name of arrangement: California Surfing

Name of individual song arranged: Surfing

Additional information: Composed by András Magyari.  Theme unique to the Sega Genesis version, I think.  Released by Epyx in 1991.

Link to original version: http://youtu.be/p12N6S5ClIc

I wrote this for my electro soundtrack pop band to play.  It was always my favourite theme from California Games, and I thought it needed brought into the 21st century.

The remix has ad hoc lyrics - they're kind of brainless, really, but they make perfect sense in a way.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Dave.

http://youtu.be/p12N6S5ClIc

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Cool remix. I love hearing new combinations of instruments, and EP + vocoder + MPC drums is a pretty unique combo. There's a lot of creativity in the sound design and combinations of sounds. Nice groove too. I think my concern is the amount of repetition and how little expression the EP has. I hear a lot of patterns get reused, in spite of the drum change-ups and little fills. It just doesn't hold enough replay value for me. I'd love to see another revision of this.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

That electric piano feels so exposed at points; very mechanical. Would have loved a more organic performance.

Have to say though, overall, I totally dig this groove. It's like a summer anthem for robots. I love when you've got these big swelling synths in there; you get that huge sound but it doesn't get overwhelming. Nice.

Really cool arrangement.

I like it. YES

Can definitely hear both sides on this one.  I feel like I can get behind the amount of variation preventing the track from getting overly repetative.  I'm actually more concerned on the arrangement side of the house because lots of the elements (melody lines, backing synths, even bass at times closely resemble the original.  I feel like I'm gonna need a bit more time to analyze this one.

I think I'm on the boat with Vinnie here, the ideas are great, but things feel pretty repetitive and it hovers pretty close to the original for a lot of the track. That being said, I do think that changing one of the two issues would bring this over the bar, and I'd lean towards the repetitive parts more than the arrangement closeness if I got to pick. I hope you fix this one up and send it in again!

No (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I'm not a huge fan of the intro kicks, I'm happier when the groove begins.  There are many timbre changes throughout the track that are interesting, such as the bass and backing elements/textures, but the EP lead stays exactly the same and I agree with Vinnie that the EP is quite plain and expressionless.  The EP plays all the way through the track and it feels like a missed opportunity to introduce some more interesting lead sounds into the mix.  The bass and other elements are evolving and cool.  The arrangement is pretty conservative and the writing is repetitive, and I think changing up the lead sound somewhere in the track would add more variety and interest, and would eliminate some of the repetitiveness as well.  It's nearly there imo, very cool ideas.

NO (resubmit)

Cool remix. I love hearing new combinations of instruments, and EP + vocoder + MPC drums is a pretty unique combo. There's a lot of creativity in the sound design and combinations of sounds. Nice groove too. I think my concern is the amount of repetition and how little expression the EP has. I hear a lot of patterns get reused, in spite of the drum change-ups and little fills. It just doesn't hold enough replay value for me. I'd love to see another revision of this.

Not much else I can say that Palpable hasn't covered. I see what DarkeSword's coming from being into the robotic feel, and we have plenty of OC ReMixes with a mechanical tilt, but I'm with the others that the leads were bland and the the overall execution of this felt too stilted and lifeless as a result.

NO