HELP NEEDED! ReMix Tagging Project! (Genres, Moods, Instrumentation, etc.)

Liontamer

Hm. If a bass guitar may have been recorded live and then chopped and pasted in a way that makes it noticeable that it's choppy and wasn't played live all the way through, would I check "live-instruments" but not "live-recording"? (in other words, does "live-instruments" imply that you can tell the instrument is or used to be a recording, but clearly not performed publicly?)

I'm thinking of this track, which has a noticeable hiss but a choppy bass that, in the intro, plays certain notes that have a phase-reset feel. (Then again, it could just be a bad sample that was recorded with a hiss in it. Or maybe I'm overthinking it. o.o) I'm tempted to just not check anything "live".

Hm. If a bass guitar may have been recorded live and then chopped and pasted in a way that makes it noticeable that it's choppy and wasn't played live all the way through, would I check "live-instruments" but not "live-recording"? (in other words, does "live-instruments" imply that you can tell the instrument is or used to be a recording, but clearly not performed publicly?)

I'm thinking of this track, which has a noticeable hiss but a choppy bass that, in the intro, plays certain notes that have a phase-reset feel. (Then again, it could just be a bad sample that was recorded with a hiss in it. Or maybe I'm overthinking it. o.o) I'm tempted to just not check anything "live".

live-recording is the entire piece of music having been recorded in one take, like a concert recording.

live-instrument is used in something like a track where a live instrument is actually played and recorded.

OCR00087 doesn't have live instruments. It's sequenced.

Tempo tags now have definitions in the master sheet linked in the first post. Here they are:

• tempo-fast - ReMixes that are generally >130 BPM.
  • tempo-moderate - ReMixes that are generally between 130 and 90 BPM.
  • tempo-slow - ReMixes that are generally <90 BPM.

Use these definition as guidelines, but also go by feel and trust your ear. If something is 95 BPM but just FEELS SLOW, tempo-slow is probably fine.

That google doc with the list of tags has some helpful explanations for some of them, but I could use some clarification on some of the moods - what sorts of things should or shouldn't be tagged with something like "chill" or "dark", for instance?  Those are pretty broad adjectives.

Also, I totally understand and respect keeping a consistent, limited, manageable list of tags, but since it's my primary instrument I feel like I have to mention it just once - you have violin, viola, and cello on the list for instrumentation, but you've notably omitted the remaining member of the modern string section, the double bass (upright bass, string bass, acoustic bass, contrabass viol, bull fiddle, doghouse, whatever you want to call it...)

That google doc with the list of tags has some helpful explanations for some of them, but I could use some clarification on some of the moods - what sorts of things should or shouldn't be tagged with something like "chill" or "dark", for instance?  Those are pretty broad adjectives.

Also, I totally understand and respect keeping a consistent, limited, manageable list of tags, but since it's my primary instrument I feel like I have to mention it just once - you have violin, viola, and cello on the list for instrumentation, but you've notably omitted the remaining member of the modern string section, the double bass (upright bass, string bass, acoustic bass, contrabass viol, bull fiddle, doghouse, whatever you want to call it...)

I agree on the bass; technically, there are/were artists/bands out there that put the bass at/nearly at the forefront or feature it somehow, such as the Jazz Fusion band Weather Report, who notably let Jaco Pastorius do bass solos. I also get though, that generally you don't hear bass as a prominent instrument.

I see Jungle music as having more emphasis on subs and amen breaks, and is generally fairly "dark", whereas DnB tends to have more straightforward drum patterns, being more beat-driven. When in doubt, I would just pick DnB when the difference is hard to distinguish, as they both use similar general drum rhythms at similar tempos. The difference, from what I'm hearing, is stereotypically in the way the drum pattern draws focus on its variations or doesn't draw focus and just acts as a "beatkeeper". (Use your best judgment though)

Example of Jungle

Example of Drum & Bass

I agree on the bass; technically, there are/were artists/bands out there that put the bass at/nearly at the forefront or feature it somehow, such as the Jazz Fusion band Weather Report, who notably let Jaco Pastorius do bass solos. I also get though, that generally you don't hear bass as a prominent instrument.

I see Jungle music as having more emphasis on subs and amen breaks, and is generally fairly "dark", whereas DnB tends to have more straightforward drum patterns, being more beat-driven. When in doubt, I would just pick DnB when the difference is hard to distinguish, as they both use similar general drum rhythms at similar tempos. The difference, from what I'm hearing, is stereotypically in the way the drum pattern draws focus on its variations or doesn't draw focus and just acts as a "beatkeeper". (Use your best judgment though)

Example of Jungle

Example of Drum & Bass

From experience, jungle is a DnB subgenre, like how "liquid" is a DnB subgenre (hard emphasis on melodies and beauty). :o

Just chiming in quickly to say that the hard work & effort is truly appreciated - staff spent a long time, many hours, coming up with this list of tags, refining it, debating it, etc., and it's great to see it finally being employed.

Example conversation: we must have gone back & forth over the term "ethnic" to label exotic or non-western instrumentation alone for 5 minutes. You DO see it employed sometimes elsewhere, but we all felt it was antiquated & offensive in its ethnocentrism. Yes, we actually care enough to discuss these things in such detail, so it's good to see the community care about helping out!

Okay, I have another question for anyone who's paying attention - sorry if I'm taking this too seriously but I'd rather get these right than rush thru them, and I'm deliberately using this task as motivation to learn more about current genre classifications, especially EDM which I've never payed much close attention to before.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00172

House or Trance?  From what I've read I'm leaning slightly more towards Trance, but I don't know if it's "spacey" enough to count as that... or would you give up and just label it generically "EDM"?

Okay, I have another question for anyone who's paying attention - sorry if I'm taking this too seriously but I'd rather get these right than rush thru them, and I'm deliberately using this task as motivation to learn more about current genre classifications, especially EDM which I've never payed much close attention to before.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00172

House or Trance?  From what I've read I'm leaning slightly more towards Trance, but I don't know if it's "spacey" enough to count as that... or would you give up and just label it generically "EDM"?

I'd say Trance more than house, but it's definitivly classic trance...

Cheers