HELP NEEDED! ReMix Tagging Project! (Genres, Moods, Instrumentation, etc.)

Liontamer

I'd say Trance more than house, but it's definitivly classic trance...

Cheers

Yeah, the problem with trance is that what is labeled "trance" has changed so much over the years that they barely resemble each other. Compare Hello Strings by Synergy (released on Armin van Buuren's label) to Armin van Buuren's D# Fat. They're both on trance labels but barely sound alike.

Of course, it doesn't help that trance isn't really strictly defined by beat pattern and time signature like house, dubstep, etc. is. Trance nowadays tends to be applied to anything put out by a trance artist...even trance-y songs aren't considered "trance" if, say, put out by deadmau5 (I Remember is considered progressive house, not trance, despite being more "trance"-like than anything van Buuren's put out in the last five years). It's very muddied. :|

[/nerd]

Yeah, the problem with trance is that what is labeled "trance" has changed so much over the years that they barely resemble each other. Compare Hello Strings by Synergy (released on Armin van Buuren's label) to Armin van Buuren's D# Fat. They're both on trance labels but barely sound alike.

Of course, it doesn't help that trance isn't really strictly defined by beat pattern and time signature like house, dubstep, etc. is. Trance nowadays tends to be applied to anything put out by a trance artist...even trance-y songs aren't considered "trance" if, say, put out by deadmau5 (I Remember is considered progressive house, not trance, despite being more "trance"-like than anything van Buuren's put out in the last five years). It's very muddied. :|

[/nerd]

Agree 100% with this :(

It's indeed very sad that the 'trance' movement now has become the 'pop' music of EDM... I didn't want to sound pejorative in any way, it's just that it's no more underground and it's love by the mass, which is awesome for the artists!

Anyway,

/nerd out :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Skrypnyk said:

Is there a way to design the page to show three or four of the main tags, and then have a link that'll show/hide the rest?  It seems redundant to me to list the same type of tag multiple times (i.e. electronic + synth, or strings + cello) but I understand the reason for wanting as many terms for a mix you can give it.

This certainly isn't the final layout, this is just initial exposure to the data. While the data is under review, it kinda helps to have it all easily viewable, even if certain terms overlap.

Eventually, we want to prioritize & colorize the genre terms first, and then probably mood... there are usually only 2-3 each, of those... and then instrumentation & additional tags would probably be revealed with a "more" button, yes...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been a wallflower on this thread, and I think it's really a great idea. I read most of the thread and I have a question, is anything other than the ascetics of the tag going to come from this? Will I be able to search using the tags? So if for instance Chill-step is probably too specific to merit it's own tag, but I would search Mood: Chill Genre:Dubstep.

8 hours ago, YoshiBlade said:

I've been a wallflower on this thread, and I think it's really a great idea. I read most of the thread and I have a question, is anything other than the ascetics of the tag going to come from this? Will I be able to search using the tags? So if for instance Chill-step is probably too specific to merit it's own tag, but I would search Mood: Chill Genre:Dubstep.

Yes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2016 at 4:44 PM, Valhalla Knight said:

Maybe I missed this if it was already covered, but will this go beyond searching for music on the site itself? As in, will metadata be added to every track that can be sorted and viewed within iTunes? Sounds like a lot more work, so I'm doubting this is the case. Just curious, though.

No plans for that, especially with a dynamic system where we probably won't tag everything fully/100% correctly.
2 hours ago, WesternZypher said:

I think I might've missed just how this works- but I can't seem to "click" on a tag to be taken to a list of remixes tagged with that term. How does it work?

For now, you can't click on anything. That will be added later by djp, though we need to get more of the tagging work done as well so that it's more comprehensive.

On 6/3/2016 at 4:29 PM, Liontamer said:

No plans for that, especially with a dynamic system where we probably won't tag everything fully/100% correctly.

For now, you can't click on anything. That will be added later by djp, though we need to get more of the tagging work done as well so that it's more comprehensive.

Good to know! Thanks for the reply. :nicework:

• 1 month later...

@Liontamer @DarkeSword I'm re-pinning this due to update:

2,850 new ReMix-Term associations (tags) are now live on the site after processing the first wave of submissions!!

THANKS to @timaeus222, @Tables, @SystemsReady, @Olarin, and @Jean Of mArc for the hard work and to @DarkeSword & @Liontamer for coordinating!

We now have 16,000+ total ReMix-Term associations in the database.

Time for more!!