*NO* Woah Dave! 'Powermix Mix'

Palpable

I wasn't able to find the source song without sound effects, but the linked video contains most of the song and it's pretty easy to hear. Pretty tough decision, honestly. Nothing wrong with the production that I could hear. Smooth, clean, suits the simple arrangement. There's some added details, but it seems like most of the arrangement is in rearranging the pieces and giving it a slightly different feel. The only potential problem I have is that the song just isn't that interesting to me. It stays in one gear and never has any standout moments. Wondering how others feel about this before putting down a vote.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree here, the instrumentation, tempo, and dynamics are pretty much the same throughout the mix. Without a change in energy it starts to feel repetitive even if the melody is changing or new sections have started. I think a transition to half-time or a lead instrument change (or other things) could really make things feel different and more interesting.

I suggest using the WIP forums and getting some more feedback and sending this back in!

No (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Its interesting to me that when the full soundscape enters, things sound ok, but that intro really showcased the lacking drum samples imo. The synths sound ok to me tho. You've got some cool evolving textures in the background with a chiptune lead, which is all good stuff. Like Deia said, the arrangement doesn't really do anything exciting but i'm not sure thats what the remixer was trying to convey. The original is hardly a showcase of musical extravagance either. It has a sort of subdued spacey feel I like.

As for the arrangement, there is some variation, but there is also a bit of a lack of dynamic range, and texturally things don't change up too much... the arrangement doesn't really go anywhere either. There is also an issue of repetitiveness, not helped by the fact that the first 2 minutes doesn't have a single change of chord. I thought the whole track was going to be like that, I was glad for the change up 2 minutes in. 

Damn this is RIGHT on the line. But my gut is telling me its just not quite there. I'd definitely look into updating the arrangement a little, adding some more varied sections, adding some more musical variation too, and also some sound change ups and maybe updating the drums.

NO (resub)

Sub bass is nice, but it is too loud here, and since it is the ONLY bass element, it ends up sounding muddy, as it is impossible to discern the individual notes being played.  There's a bass frequency missing in the track imo.  This sub bass is the strongest at 40-60Hz; people without the ability to hear sub bass will hear no bass at all.  My feeling is that sub bass should be supportive to another bass instrument or timbre and not be alone.

The drumming is really simple and repetitive.  I agree with my fellow judges, this arrangement is really repetitive.  Some changes in drumming would most likely change that feeling completely.  The chord change at 2:00 is really nice... perfect opportunity to change up that drum pattern and introduce a new feel either at half or double time, or with a new drum element or some swing or something.  I do think the drumming is the biggest reason that this track is dealbreakingly repetitive.

What is here is mixed pretty well other than the sub bass being too loud.  Just do some drumming changes and maybe introduce one more element in the bass-but-not-sub-bass range to fill out the spectrum and this should be golden.

NO (resubmit)