History and Study of Video Game Music Posting Guidelines

First of all, welcome to the game music studies forum!   :)

This is a short sticky to help differentiate the purpose of this forum from other places on the site where we all discuss music.  First, this is not a replacement for talking about game music in the Community forum.  If you think the music to game X is awesome/horrible/hilarious, that's great!  Taking that element out of the Community forum isn't anyone's goal, nor should it be.

Instead, this subforum exists for us to help describe why and how we have certain reactions to music, and to ask questions when we don't yet have that understanding.  Sometimes it might be what the music is doing in the context of something else -- gameplay, art direction, etc.  Sometimes it might be something neat about how the music is constructed or orchestrated.  Sometimes it might be how the music relates to other pieces of game, film, or art music.

Occasionally, answering these open-ended questions to your satisfaction requires the use of some specific terminology.  Feel free to throw around whatever jargon you see fit, but do keep in mind that not everyone is going to have the same background that you do -- this is especially true of game music, where some crowd of folks will know game terms and won't know music terminology and vice versa.  Language helps us be precise, but it also isolates us into niche communities that are all part of the same larger world of games, so keep that in mind when you post.  In short, be accepting and respectful of those who don't share the same body of knowledge that you do -- you likely have a lot to learn from them.

djp and I have both wanted to have a hub for deeper discussion of VGM for quite a while, so I'm glad Ryan was down with creating this forum. He's the perfect person to lead it.

I'll add, in particular I'd love for musiclogists to:

• share & discuss papers
  • conduct original research; and
  • organize & promote academic events.
This is also something for down the line, but if enough folks are down with hosting papers, research or other academic material on OCR, perhaps we could integrate it into our database.

Welcome to everyone looking to learn more about video game music! :-)