OCR01556 - *YES* Sonic & Knuckles 'Robotnik Radio'

Liontamer

Hello!

This is one of my two tracks in "Project Chaos", the Sonic 3 & Knuckles arrangement project. I included both songs in this mail for your convenience. I would like to share some info on the two songs that maybe can be posted when they get released. These are writeups for Project Chaos, anyways, i thought id share them in case there are any use for them...

Robotnik Radio:

As Project Chaos was closing to be finished, it turned out that boss 2 was free and i was nearing the end of iMushroom, so i said, hey i'll give it a try. Unfortunately i accidentally began working on boss 1 (s3&k) instead! But i made a pretty nice WIP anyway because i was in the zone. The intro is a little garage-jazz style, but after about one minute, the beat comes in. If you're observant you'll hear a number of samples from the Sonic games. Some people have complained about not recognizing the source, but all i really did was replace and restyle the chord progression to something more spicy. Special thanx to; Binster, Dryer Lint, Azar and Sindra for helpful feedback.

Best regards// Steve

Remixer name: GaMeBoX

Email: djdolber@gmail.com

Game remixed: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Songs remixed: "Boss 1" (S&K version)

Name of remix: Robotnik Radio

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Robotnik 1"

The theme arranged here is in both S3 and S&K, so I'm ok with crediting it to S&K. We allow the artist to attribute the track to basically whatever game they want, as long as it's from there.

Piano sample opening things up doesn't sound very realistic, but is performed decently and also had some nice effects on there to compensate for the sounds. Nice segue at :59 to some tite beats. Lead comes in at 1:16 and is really too dominated by the beatwork, but the clean production makes it less of an issue than if other people did the same thing. Very tasteful use of the Sonic 3 SFX at 1:49, especially the spring noise being played around with like that. Excellent changeup in the lead instrumentation at 2:06; same at 2:23 to keep it moving.

Great way to come up with a creative (albeit liberal) and sophisticated arrangement of a 26-second-long source tune. The track evolved very skillfully. Props on a winner, Steve.

YES

The piano sample doesn't sound real, but I don't think it's supposed to. It just keeps a sort of jazzy groove to the song until the main section opens up around 1:00.

The beautiful thing about this piece is how minimal it is, and yet how cool it sounds. I recognised the style of GaMeBoX before I even looked at his name. This is so similar to the way he remixed his Mega Man 2 mix.

Anyway, loving the groove as Malcos pointed out. The beats are loud, but that's just all part of GaMeBoX's style. You eventually don't even really notice the beats as you just chill out on the simplicity of the background instrumentation.

This kind of remix ends up sounding like it needs more to it, but if you added any more you'd end up ruining what you have. If that makes any sense.

Either way, YES.

the production is a tad abrasive. there were some good ideas in the piano intro, but the timber of the sample really grates on me.

the drums kind of get under my skin after a minute or two.

ultimately, though, these factors aren't enough to pull my vote to the dark side.

good arrangement, and though it's approaching borderline territory for me, this gets a

YES