Undertale

ad.mixx

Fans like me are basically walking UNDERTALE commercials, I imagine it might be near sickening to those not in the know lol. But the recognition sure is well deserved. Game of the month in Game Informer too!

To think for the price of a dimebag or bottle of beer, you can take a trip like this. Even got the game for a few people. I imagine it's gonna have a pretty damn good holiday season.

At first I was like, "Seems overhyped and doesn't look that good". Then I actually played it and holy crap. I've also purchased it for a few friends as early gifts because I now believe everyone needs some Undertale in their life.

I'd love to arrange some of the songs because the soundtrack is pure distilled awesome, but my skills are not up to par yet.

I'd love to arrange some of the songs because the soundtrack is pure distilled awesome, but my skills are not up to par yet.

Anything you'd love to do is worth trying, cause you'll learn something every time. I'm sure you already know peeps here would be happy to give you feedback on how to improve your productions. From my crappy speakers I can at least hear that you have that foundation of musicality, which is way more than half the battle in my opinion. Keep the determination.

Why IS there snow down there? I was literally thinking about that yesterday.

But yeah, what a nice tone

Undertale is such an incredible game. In the last month, I've lost track of how many times I've played through the entire story (at least 6). On the surface, it doesn't present itself as a straightforward RPG (right from the tagline "it's a game where nobody has to die"), but the more you play it, the more you understand just how much depth and complexity there is to this game.

This says nothing of all the other elements that make it so amazing. The music, the variability, the use of different game mechanics to tell the story, everything...

Anyway, I'll try to summarize my experience here. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'm going to use language that's generic enough, but would carry more meaning to those who've played the game once or twice already:
  • My first time, I figured I'd spare all the main characters to see the story unfold, and level up on the random encounters. Now I regret that.
  • My second time, I didn't lay a hand on anyone, and why do I still feel remorse over the first time I played through?!
  • My third time, ok, I'll be perfect and pretend like the other times never happened. Yay! Everyone's happy! ...I hope?
  • ...ok let me reload and try that again.
  • My fifth time, I'm now curious... what happens if you spare no one? ...I had a bad time.
  • ...ok let me erase everything and pretend like that never happened.
  • My seventh time, ok, I'll be perfect again and pretend like the other times never happened. Yay! Everyone's--WTF....
  • ...I can't bring myself to hurt anyone in the game anymore. ...I'm going to take a break.
  • (*@$^*(@ ANNOYING DOGS

Just to be clear... The above includes a neutral run (without befriending Undyne), a pacifist run, a genocide run (including beating sans), and a few more pacifist runs for good measure.

KF

Undertale is such an incredible game. In the last month, I've lost track of how many times I've played through the entire story (at least 6). On the surface, it doesn't present itself as a straightforward RPG (right from the tagline "it's a game where nobody has to die"), but the more you play it, the more you understand just how much depth and complexity there is to this game.

I definitely feel a lot more emotionally invested in this game than basically any others and haven't had a reaction like it since probably FF4 when I was 11 or 12, and the concept of a story blew my mind then. I think it's the kind of game i'd want to create if I created games, where you get rewarded for being a considerate human being, but in a way that is both interesting and not superficial. It's the kind of game I am happy to see have a lot of success, and am wondering how my son (almost 7) would react to it.

Also, since you guys would understand this more than anyone else, here's our (me n stevo) mix a bit early, hope you enjoy it:

http://oceansend.com/5502/ocr/rock/Undertale%20-%20Golden%20Flowers.mp3

Also, since you guys would understand this more than anyone else, here's our (me n stevo) mix a bit early, hope you enjoy it:

http://oceansend.com/5502/ocr/rock/Undertale%20-%20Golden%20Flowers.mp3

That's sounding pretty awesome. It helps that that was probably my favorite song from the soundtrack.

Anything you'd love to do is worth trying, cause you'll learn something every time. I'm sure you already know peeps here would be happy to give you feedback on how to improve your productions. From my crappy speakers I can at least hear that you have that foundation of musicality, which is way more than half the battle in my opinion. Keep the determination.

Ha, thanks. This is an early WIP concept I've been messing with, but I'm not sure how far I'll take it. Not that it's missing a lot of the percussion(having trouble making it work) and isn't nearly as fleshed out as I'd like, or as "full" yet.

https://soundcloud.com/katallen-12/spear-of-justice-wip/s-TdhSh

• 1 month later...

The game had a second big uptick in popularity after being featured prominently on several GOTY lists. What's interesting, and also kinda sad, is watching all the psychological "backlash" unfold on the internet. You've got everything from "This game is just cynical tumblr hipster bait. Wake up sheeple!" to "I liked Undertale before it was cool! You're just a bandwagoner!"

Apparently just enjoying a game on its own merits is really difficult these days.

2 hours ago, lazygecko said:

The game had a second big uptick in popularity after being featured prominently on several GOTY lists. What's interesting, and also kinda sad, is watching all the psychological "backlash" unfold on the internet. You've got everything from "This game is just cynical tumblr hipster bait. Wake up sheeple!" to "I liked Undertale before it was cool! You're just a bandwagoner!"

Apparently just enjoying a game on its own merits is really difficult these days.

I guess being an "anti-hipster" is a thing now? I see the exact same backlash against Pony Island.

On 1/15/2016 at 9:19 PM, Slimy said:

I guess being an "anti-hipster" is a thing now? I see the exact same backlash against Pony Island.

Being anti-hipster has always been a thing.

People like feeling cool, and the easiest way to do that is to shit on stuff you don't find cool that other people do so you can demonstrate how much cooler your stuff is. "Hipsters" are an easy target because they like more interesting things that stand out.

Spoilers

I didn't get very far before I stopped playing. Not because it's a bad game (quite the contrary), but because people kept spoiling it. I had to restart the game because I had no idea you could save Toriel, and the flower dude called me out on it haha. Very good game, both funny and sad at times. The music is fantastic too. I haven't really listened to many remixes, because the ones I have listened to are just instrument swaps of the midi file with a lame drum line over it. I have listened to some covers though, like the one above. Those are pretty good. I'll have to take a shot at remixing one or two songs sometime.