OCR03242 - Street Fighter II "Because Eels"

Liontamer

Yeah, I agree that the leads were strangely bright/cheery, and contrast strangely with the darkness of the Meshuggah-style chugs. I'm not really feeling that contrast works though, and I thought the leads could have been darker. Other than that, I do like this metal adaptation. Tight playing, fun low-tuning shenanigans, and cool triplet rhythmic style.

Yeah, I felt the same way. Really cool bass-driven ambience drives the dark guitar chugs, but then the synth leads are oddly upbeat. The melody starting at 2:12, for instance, was otherwise really enjoyable, it just felt like it was lifted from a different remix. It's also pretty repetitive.

Really hoping to see more from shredd that improves on these issues, since the parts of this I like, I like a lot.

• 1 month later...

This is a very interesting take on Blanka’s theme. Blanka’s theme is very fun, and comical (which, if you don’t know, was Yoko Shimomura’s intent. To make the music in the game a little comical). But this remix makes Blanka seem so much more intimidating and frightening. I love how the artists found a way to make you hear Blanka torture his opponents while listening to this remix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03242 - Street Fighter II "Because Eels"
  • 4 weeks later...

This is the version of Blanka's theme I've kinda wanted to hear for a long time, one that reflects what Blanka appeared to be at first glance, a brutal beast that bites, scratches and electrocutes trespassers in his jungle. I liked that this had a serious tone in the guitar, but the synths didn't seem to go along that direction other than to provide a clearer melody. It's a contrast that I liked more during the second half of the original theme (like in 2:26-2:40) then the other parts of the theme. But still, it's a solid mix that gets me closer to the vicious, feral, unrestrained Blanka I've always wanted than ever before, so I can really appreciate this one. Not bad.

• 6 months later...

Whoa, this remix is huge! The bass chops are just freaking massive, and when they're coupled with some pretty solid and intense drum work, they create a really nice backbone for the track. The synths may sound weird for some people, but I absolutely enjoyed how bright and vivid they sounded. The darker break at 4:30 is quite an interesting turn here, adds a bit more variety and is just quite pleasant for me ;) And the ending was simply epic. Good job here!