OCR03469 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Afternoon in the Sacred Forest Meadow"

Chimpazilla

Dear Judges,

I am submitting for your consideration the following remix... 

Remixer name: Doc Nano
userid: 36369
e-mail address: 
Game arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Songs arranged:  
   2. Saria's Song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmB9LsIozSQ)
Afternoon in the Sacred Forest Meadow ()

Description:

As part of the album project for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I offered to write an orchestral arrangement of Minuet of Woods.  Since that project has, sadly, been placed on indefinite hold, I have decided to submit this remix as a separate effort.

Throughout this arrangement, I am deliberately imitating the style of Debussy's "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune," with heavy use of harp, woodwinds, strings, and french horn, and only minimal percussion (namely, crotales and wind chimes). My aim was to convey the impression of a magical afternoon spent in the Sacred Forest Meadow with Saria. Although fragments of Saria's Song appear in the arrangement, the main source is Minuet of Woods (or Minuet of Forest), which I have attempted to develop into a somewhat more substantial theme.

Thanks for your consideration.

**P.S. I submitted two remixes with Amaterasu (Chris Woo) in 2010 and 2011, which were flagged for direct post but to my knowledge never saw the front page:

1. Dance of the Kokiri (Source: Saria's Song)

2. Aveh Mountain Breakdown (Source: Aveh, the Ancient Dance from Xenogears)

I'm just wondering if these are still in the pipeline, or were forgotten?   Thanks again!

-- Alex (Doc Nano)

What a lovely concept.  The arrangement is very beautiful and definitely puts the listener right in the middle of the Sacred Meadow.  I wish the track had been mastered louder, it never gets louder than -14db at any point and I have to turn my speakers waaaaay up to hear it.  It's a very mellow track, very well put together, with the exception of the low volume.  Should we get a slightly louder mastered version?

YES (conditional on volume increase)

Larry can you check on those DPs he mentioned?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, definitely could be bumped up a little bit in volume. The mix is very peaceful, love the instrumentation and stylistic choice you went for here. I can certainly imagine a quiet afternoon having a picnic with Saria before running off to clear out all the baddies in the forest temple! I'd love to hear this performed live; the mixing is very competent here, but I think a live performance would have really added that je ne sais quoi effect. Regardless, great use of dynamics.

Even quiet, I think this is great and postable, but I wouldn't say no to a slightly louder version.

YES (conditional on volume?)

Really pretty work, the sequencing flows really well, and I do agree it needs a bit of a volume bump, but otherwise it's a great rendition of the theme. I think normalizing it a bit would not detract at all from the mood and would make it more listenable on multiple sound systems.

Yes, but would like a normalized version

New version added to the first post - volume level sounds fine to me!

I loved this track from the first WIP I heard. Alex has always had a way with delicate, impressionist arrangements but this has to be one of his best efforts to date. Taking such a short source tune and expanding it to a full-length arrangement is no easy task, but this feels downright effortless. This is a stellar example of a mix that, despite being instrumental, perfectly conveys the mood and concept that the artist was going for with no explanation or pretext needed.

The orchestration is serviceable - Deia is right, this would have benefited from a live performance to really capture the true spirit of the arrangement, but the sequencing is nuanced enough that it gets the point across, and sounds perfectly pleasant to my ears. Now that the volume is normalized, I have no holdups here!

YES

• 1 year later...

Funny enough, but if you listen to Debussy's "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune," it has an area around 1:45-2:00 with a 3-note pattern that sounds like it could have been adapted from the Lost Woods/Saria theme. Smart stuff, and I see why the overall piece was a point of inspiration.

Anyway, might as well vote if I'm gonna leave a note. Fun stuff from Alex. :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03469 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Afternoon in the Sacred Forest Meadow"