OCR01819 - *YES* Tales of Phantasia 'Setting Sail'

Liontamer

Posted with reservations, only because I've entirely never heard of the artist before. The quality's surprisingly good. Anyone know if this one check's out? - LT

Hey, this is a mix from Hydropolis from Tales of Phantasia (original :

http://www.kylejcrb.com/talesproject/Phantasia/Hydropolis.spc)

You can download it from here:

However, for consideration, I need to state (and I state!) that the song is part of the Tales of Phantasia / Symphonia project, and that it shouldn't be publicly available until the project is released ;)

It is an orchestral rendition of that venice alike city, with a new epic touch, as if you were setting sail for new adventures.

Hope you like it.

Remixer: TheDeath (35310)

Site: http://thedeath.sytes.net/

email: xaviergonz@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

zircon said he's legit in IRC. And if Andy said it, then it must be true :lol:

On to teh remicks.

This is amazing. I actually though this was live. I believe that is probably one of the highest compliment a sampler can receive, so take it as such.

I really like the style of the arrangement here. For example, the source intro vs. remix intro is a great example. In the source, it kind of jumps out at you like "Hello, I am the melody!!" But in the mix, the piano adds a lovely and somber touch, giving a totally different feel. Then the grandeur sets in, magically projecting magnificent mental manifestations of miraculousness (how's THAT for alliteration?) and feelings of awe. This is total movie stuff. The quality is amazing, and the arrangement and instrumentation are beautiful. I especially liked the choir at 1:56, and the trumpet preceding. Great work. This is definitely quality stuff.

YES

I'm just skeptical because it's just like...who the hell are you??? Never heard of you, yet you're busting out this impressive orchestral stuff. Must have stolen it from an arrange album. I'll find you out...

Ok, so Andy and Wil are vouching for him, so there's seemingly no chance that he's Void. But seriously...and I mean in this with the utmost sincerity and curiosity...who the hell are you, and what brought you here?

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=top - "Hydropolis" (top-105.spc)

The mix title kind of encroaches on Blake Perdue's Donkey Kong Country 2 'Set Sail', so that's lame, but no big deal clearly. Name a mix whatever ya want.

Had to bump this up 6db just to hear it at a reasonable volume where everything could be appreciated, but it was worth it. (Javier should hook us up with a louder version.)

The production was a little flat in terms of the soundscape; a bit distant-sounding and the panning could have been more pronounced, but those were minor issues.

The track's needlessly on the quiet side which unfairly downplayed the power of the writing, but the arrangement was extremely impressive and added a lot more emotion, complexity and dynamics to the source.

I didn't really associate the original with a orchestral mix, but looking over it, especially the chorus, it's cool to see how Javier completely realized the potential of that section for the genre.

Great, cinematic writing, with many intelligent changes in the instrumentation to keep things fresh throughout. A true breath of fresh air.

YES