*NO* Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 'Dragon Roost Island (Kytronic Mix)'

Chimpazilla

Hey,

Love the site!

Submission:

Download: (Enter 0 for free download)

Original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRWq53IFXVQ

This is my dubstep remix of the Dragon Roost Island theme from The Legend of Zelda, The Wind Waker. (The music in the original "The Wind Waker" was composed by Kenta Nagata, Hajime Wakai, Toru Minegishi and Koji Kondo.) This game was released on The Nintendo Gamecube and remade for the WiiU.

Comments:

This remix was really fun to make. I'm currently playing through this game for the first time and just had to make a remix of this theme.

My remixer name is "Kytronic".

My real name is Ciaran Regan.

My website is:

www.soundcloud.com/kytronic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmwvmsUCNKCFUhF4YQyIZNQ

My email: 

My userID is 54482.

Thanks,

Ciaran

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I adore this source!  Cool idea for a remix, and the mixing is pretty good here, but the transitions are awkward with so much silence.  The drums are simple and dry.  The writing is pretty simple and the timbres are generic and unprocessed.

The arrangement is the bigger issue. This mix consists of two identical playthroughs (or nearly identical) of the same material.  For OCR there would need to be some variation in the writing or arrangement in the second half.

NO

This is definitely not a direction that I'd ever expect Dragon Roost Island to be taken in, but I guess it's inevitable that all Zelda music will be dubstepped at some point ;-) I'll admit that the melody actually translates reasonably well to dubstep, so props on the adaptation.

Your mixing is solid enough - I'd say on a production level, this could definitely be passable.

The sound design is the most problematic part of this remix, in my opinion. The textures of the track rarely change up, and you rely very heavily on a similar set of synth patches that sound very monotonous over the course of 4 minutes. There's very few changes in timbre throughout the track other than a few transitions.

The arrangement is also heavily repetitive - the second half of the song is basically just a loop of the first 2 minutes with a few minor adjustments... past the first half of the song, there's no surprises and nothing to justify the length.

The concept is alright at its core, but there's not enough here to justify the length of the track. Needs less repetition and more development.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice take on the original. Kick is loud as it should be. I actually kind of liked your fade in transition after leaving the intro, not many people transition with that (but best used sparingly).

I'm finding your synths quite generic here - not always a bad thing, but you need to tweak the sound over time to maintain interest if you go this route (like playing with cutoff and resonance for example). The main bass synth that hits at 0:53 and is used for most of the mix takes up a lot of your sonic space, drowning out most other parts, including your lead. It could do with a volume adjustment or some EQ dips to give the other parts space.

Arrangement wise I think more can be done - by the last third of the mix I began to hear some recycled elements/ideas. It would be great to hear you explore some more ideas here. Not bad so far, but arrangement above all else needs work.

NO