OCR03288 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Once More - A Last TIME -'

Chimpazilla

starlight buffalo

Colin Herrera

user ID - 54483

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Once More ~A Last TIME~
Temple of Time - Kondo Koji

A friend asked me to cover a song from any Zelda game. After, he told me I should submit it here. The pieces came together and here we are. 
Taking a very minimal and clear melody and expanding on it is generally a fun challenge, albeit dangerous. Particularly orchestrally. Working out countermelodies and new sections that never betray the spirit of the piece, enough so that they feel organic and like they always belonged is great. Trying to take it somewhere new, but maintain the heart of it, so it could still feel like it could be dropped right back into the story. 
In truth, however, it was a slog to get through. A friend of mine died last September - a fantastic Zelda fan - and he was in the midst of a play-through of every game at the time. So it brought up a lot of difficult emotions. Maybe that's saying too much? Eh, honesty is honesty. 

• 4 weeks later...

I do like that you spent some time to change the emphasis of notes here, the song has a very different feel because of it. The emotions conveyed are varied here, from reminiscent to hopeful to contemplative, it's a fun journey to take :)

There's an inherent repetitiveness of the theme here, but the mixer adds a ton of backing elements and countermelodies. Each rendition is different, so the source becomes more of a foundation than the focal point. Pretty neat interpretation!

Some of the samples suffer a bit from lack of realism, but nothing was screaming at me in a bad way. Nice work.

YES

Pretty nice work, It is an arrangement that takes it time to unfurl, and while I agree somewhat with DragonAvenger's assessment that it's a bit repetitive, it is constantly evolving and rewards careful listening very well. It reminds me a bit of Michael Kamen's work, with prominent harp.

The evolution of the track is really slow, but when you decide to kick it up a notch, the guitar is a bit surprising. I think it fits, but it is not really what I would have expected. 

Overall this is really pleasant, and thoughtfully combines several themes in a fresh way. Nice work. 

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this song was a journey. It started off pretty innocuously, but ended like Mannheim Steamroller or something. I think the second half was better than the first, but this was just solid enough for me to call it a pass, mostly thanks to a great arrangement. Some things to improve on the production side: late string articulations at 0:53, changes were too abrupt in the 1:11-1:59 sections, late low strings at 2:02, snare sample too weak. I can see other judges calling this a NO based on the several production flaws, but the overall package was barely enough for a YES for me.

YES (borderline)

Wow, what an arrangement.  Is that a bit of Midna's Lament I hear starting at 2:34?  Just a hint?  Nice.

The electric guitar is quite a surprise when it arrives, but it sure keeps things interesting.

I agree with the other judges about the lack of realism in some of the samples and articulations, but the arrangement and creativity in the writing gets the job done for me.  You did quite a lot with just the simple melody, and I love how you also included a bit of the main Zelda theme.  Nice track!

I'm so sorry about your friend.

YES