*NO* Pilotwings 64 'Glidin' High'

djpretzel

Probably too simplistic; does get better w/ introduction of chiptune elements, could use the feedback either way, promising.

- djp

Remixer Name; Eat Brain Stems

userid: 54588

Name of game: Pilotwings 64

Name of arrangement: Glidin' High

Name of individual song arranged: Hangliding (Hang Gliding?)

Source of individual song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Pga-y7F8k

Comments; It's probably boring. I do a lot of high-energy-big-noise-mixes and was gonna do something similar to this mix. The project was coming along nicely, but I wasn't really feeling it. So I instead went with something a little more fitting to the original. 

Hope it's alright.

There's not much to the arrangement in terms of interpreting the source melody, creating dynamic contrast, or pleasing textures. I didn't feel like the opening synths were particularly musical, and the synths were super-generic. Not really much depth to the textures here, and everything's just super-thin with holes you could drive a truck through.

The chip elements first used at 1:53 were an OK way to add some original writing into the picture, but were there for a cup of coffee since it was only about 20 seconds. The track abruptly cutting off lacked attention to detail.

We're not inherently against simpler tracks with mellow moods and slower tempos, but you still have to create a pleasing sound. Sorry, man, I don't really have much I can say on the positive side. There's effort here, but 0 polish.

NO

That simple beat to open, oof.  Simple synths, no sidechaining, no groove.  Very conservative arrangement, which is fine, but it just sounds very very simple.  This mix could be soooo much more interesting with sidechaining first of all, and some extra percussive elements and ear candy.  I can picture this mix with a beefy kick, sidechained to the backing elements and bass, much more groovy just with that. The hat groove here is cool but it's mixed very quietly, center panned, with no highs and it sounds loop-like.  Also, the track cuts off unceremoniously with no resolution of any kind, while things are still playing.  Very sloppy indeed.

I'm afraid this has a long way to go to be ready for prime-time.  

NO