*NO* Mother 3 & 1 'Oriental Love'

djpretzel

This Oriental Love is good, but it doesn't last very long.

- djp

---

ReMixer Name: Funky_Billiards
E-mail: 
Games Arranged: MOTHER 3, MOTHER
Name of Arrangement: Oriental Love
Individual Songs Arranged: MOTHER 3 Love Theme, Eight Melodies
Composers: Shogo Sakai (MOTHER 3), Keiichi Suzuki (MOTHER), Hirokazu Tanaka (MOTHER)
Systems: GameBoy Advance, Famicom

MOTHER 3 Soundtrack:

MOTHER Soundtrack:

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...
Good adaptation to this instrument set, though there's not much on the interpretation front with the melody. There is original supporting writing underneath it, so it's important to not lose sight of that.

The brass first used from 1:18-1:41 sounded flat; not quite sure it clicked texturally with all of the Eastern instruments, plus the sequencing was too rigid-sounding.

Arrangement-wise, this just needs further development in this direction. Despite the strumming at 1:57, the finish ended up not feeling like any sort of real close or resolution, but rather the subtle crescendo of one section about to lead to the start of another, and then... nothing.

It's a solid start, Max, but needs another minute of developed arrangement ideas, as well as more realistic/less stilted execution of the brass samples.

NO (resubmit)

Larry really nailed this one.  The brass felt a bit out of place in the oriental instrument context, but it can work.  The piece is pretty short, which can also work, but only if the arrangement is developed enough.  In this case, this feels more like a good base that needs to be expanded and interpreted further.

Liking the approach a lot and it has lots of potential.

NO resubmit, please

Good to hear a unique take on an original source tune. I was able to get into your mix rather quickly. I must say I'm not at all familiar with the source, so had to listen a few times to see how your mix presents it. I can understand what Larry is saying with regards to this at times feeling not as explorative of the source as what it could've been. You have implemented some nice ideas into this mix, but your arrangement falls a little short in allowing them to be fully realised due to a fairly short duration.

Not too much to say about the instrumentation here: I think you have done a solid job with most parts. I will say that I didn't find the usage of brass as out of place as some, but another instrument may have fit that part better. I'm terrible with "ethnic" instruments so I don't know what to suggest, but it's something to consider. Your brass is certainly the weakest link when it comes to the sounds you've used, which is exacerbated by the quality of your execution of the other parts. I did not have any major issues with your production.

Really the main thing to do here is expand your original ideas further, and perhaps have a rethink if the brass is suitable for this piece.

NO