*NO* Homeworld 'Migraine (Learning Curve)'

Emunator

Remixer Name: KingTiger

Email Address: 
Website: kingtigermusic.com (I know I told you to take this off my profile page but I'm going to put the website back up again)
Userid: 13864

Name of Game Arranged: Homeworld
Name of Arrangement: Migraine (Learning Curve)
remix link (192 kb/s mp3): 
Name of Individual Song Arranged: Heavy Radiation (Supernova Research Station)
source link (Youtube)https://youtu.be/U1kPqZm6bg0
Composer: Paul Ruskay
System: PC (CD-ROM)
Genre: RTS
Release Date: September 28, 1999
Developer: Relic Entertainment
Publisher: Sierra Entertainment
Soundtrack (Youtube): https://youtu.be/6WbvIEL5Iyk

Remastered Version --
Publisher: Gearbox Software
Developer: Gearbox Software
Release Date: February 25, 2015
System: PC (digital download (Steam))

Mix Comments:
This soundtrack is awesome, but since it's mostly ambient, it's a challenge to arrange. Given its six-and-a-half minute length, this 7/4 remix might seem a bit liberal simply because of the minimal source material, so here's a breakdown:

- the bells that play an octave apart starting right at the beginning of the source that continue to play throughout are mimicked by the chime-y type notes in the remix that are also an octave apart and sound at the beginning of every measure starting at 0:13 and continuing until the last one sounds at 5:58, albeit the distortion & other effects on them increase quite a bit by the end
- the chords that begin at 0:25 in the remix may sound too major, considering the tension of the source, but the source actually seems to be in a major key itself (chords in the source begin at 0:29). I've actually kind of flipped the simple two-chord progression of the source (alt chord / root chord, mine is root chord /alt chord), along with some different chords during 2:35 - 3:47 of the remix.
- the lead from 0:51 - 2:55 in the remix has the same movement as the lead from 0:29 - 1:28 in the source, although I started stacking my lead to add another dynamic

After Syllix called me "master of the LFO" when he heard my intro track to disc 3 of Temporal Duality, I remembered how much fun it is to mess with synthesizers, LFOs, and the like, and this track has a lot of that sort of thing, along with several slow-burn automation edits and other subtleties. I think it's a pretty rockin' ambient piece (as much as ambient pieces can rock), and hope you all enjoy it, regardless of the panel's decision :)

PS. To help with source usage, I could claim that the entire soundtrack inspired me with all its drone-y bits, like the low bass in this one: https://youtu.be/0CJhFa2Y-Lw  :P:P  But in all honesty, I didn't have any other sources in mind besides "Heavy Radiation" when I made this remix.

Source:

• 2 months later...
  • Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/05/03 - (1N) Homeworld 'Migraine (Learning Curve)'

A bit of a tough one for me here. As far as arrangement goes, I can hear and appreciate the additional elements you've brought to the table compared to the original track, which must have been challenging considering the original is almost as minimal as it gets.

With regards to your synth tones - I did find some of the sounds you created a little conflicting to me tempo wise as the rate in which they were panning/droning felt out of sync to the overall tempo. This is ok to do, but when you have a track like this with such minimal percussion to keep that beat, your song then pretty much relies upon your synths to keep that tempo, and because that tempo isn't being kept, things feel a little off the grid.

Your sound design overall is quite nice and I enjoy the tones you have constructed on that level. You did begin to verge a bit on too many simultaneous elements, with parts like the drones beginning to step on other parts, but I felt it didn't hit breaking point. I certainly wouldn't have added more though. I did like the evolution of your sounds, but I personally felt it took a long time for them to evolve into something, and it didn't help that the overall song was too reliant on this technique.

I think I'm with the others on this one, in the sense that we have a mix of good ideas here that while slowly evolving, do not quite lead anywhere. I can't think of any advice on how to achieve a more evolving progression with this, considering you have such little source material to work with, and the more extra stuff you add the less it'd feel like the original. Overall though, with the above crits, I feel this is still a 

NO