e-Reader suggestions ?

Frederic Petitpas

We've had an interesting discussion on the chat many moons ago but my brain doesn't record very well. Let's start from scratch..

Let me start by saying I MUCH prefer to read a real book than look at a screen, so I don't want anything backlit like an iPad.

I'm looking for a reader that has the following specs;

1) Not a multi-function tablet, just a reader.

2) Must read many formats (and at least PDF).

3) A display that looks like paper and shows even when it's OFF.

4) Must display graphics, not just text, and accuratly, not deformed (for plans, tech manuals, scanned music sheets, etc)

So, to Kindle or not to Kindle ? Enlight me with your experience please..

I bought myself a Kindle Paperwhite just a week ago, to replace my iPad for reading (reading on a backlit tablet = eyestrain to me). Very happy with it; digging crisp display, the battery life (when compared to a tablet) and the form factor (even though it initially felt a bit small). It ticks boxes 1, 3 and 4 but I'm not sure about box 2. 

Not a problem for me anyway since I'm invested in the Kindle store anyway.

I use a Kindle Fire HD for most of my reading(and a few of my app needs - hence being a Fire and not a Paperwhite). I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a reader with all of those, but I'd second Jorito's Kindle Paperwhite suggestion. I believe you can open PDFs on it via sideloading, but it will keep the original file's formatting and not run in the Paperwhite's page-by-page setup. If you absolutely need to read other file formats and can live without the paper display, you should probably favor function over form and go for the Fire.

My Kobo Glo HD gets here tomorrow. Reviews are giving it an edge over Kindle Voyage, and Kindle doesn't support the open epub format. If you have lots of epub and enjoy spending time converting it to .mobi, Kindle might work for you. If you don't mind Amazon removing books you own from the device you own like they've done in the past, go Kindle. Otherwise literally anything else.

This rant sponsored by Literally Anything Else .

My Kobo Glo HD gets here tomorrow. Reviews are giving it an edge over Kindle Voyage, and Kindle doesn't support the open epub format. If you have lots of epub and enjoy spending time converting it to .mobi, Kindle might work for you. If you don't mind Amazon removing books you own from the device you own like they've done in the past, go Kindle. Otherwise literally anything else.

You can install alternative firmware and alternative viewer programs, which support epub, on the Kindle. I've done this, so it's as flexible as any other reader

You can install alternative firmware and alternative viewer programs, which support epub, on the Kindle. I've done this, so it's as flexible as any other reader

Yes, but then you're still supporting Amazon's decisions. Unless you buy one used from a third party.

I'm happy with the Kobo so far. Crisp, easy to read, tons of settings to tweak. The downside compared to my tablet ebook app is that I can't easily categorize books, and it's comparitively slow. The display is much better for extended reading sessions, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Displaying PDFs with graphics is actually relatively processor-intensive, depending on the content; if we're talking technical documents with lots of charts, graphics, etc., it's not going to be pretty... in terms of performance OR display... on an eInk reader.

I'm afraid the perfect device doesn't really exist:

• Kindle Paperwhite is GREAT for reading text-centric ebooks (with minimal images) in Mobi/converted epub format & I thoroughly recommend it for this purpose...
  • For PDFs with graphics, charts, pictures, etc., however, it sucks. Depending on the PDF in question, you really need a larger screen AND a more powerful processor than is commonly provided for eInk devices...
  • The iPad Pro is pretty much the ultimate PDF reader if the documents are technical or have tons of images/figures.

Obviously we're talking about a sizable chunk of change, but the combination of a Kindle Paperwhite AND an iPad Pro really does address pretty much every eReading use case, including magazines, technical books in PDF format, etc.

It's a shame eInk didn't catch on more... they were working on color & faster response times, but so many people want to be able to play games & watch movies that it ends up going into full-tablet territory where a more dynamic LCD/OLED technology is needed...

• 2 weeks later...