OCR01500 - Tales of Phantasia "The Koan of Drums"

djpretzel

This is assuredly very djp-ish. It's smooth and full of atmosphere, the strings sounding very familiar.

I read "Yuki Kajiura" in you're writeup and immediately grabbed my headphones. Having been an old fan of her work, and you being the one originally suggesting her music, AND this being the big 1500, I knew I had to have it.

Here's to another 1500. Long live djp!

Great Job DJP, both on the mix and everything you've done the 7 years up until now. I've always liked checking out music from familiar games, to see what unfamiliar artists will do with a source. By the same token, I've enjoyed taking artist I've heard, and critiquing their work on an unfamiliar source tune. This source is a first for me, and it seems a flawless first for you as well.

The first few listens of this song, and A theme seems to keep popping out. I really liked the, yes, Yuki Kajiura influence (I'm a sucker for .Hack//sign) But the parts that really stood out to me were the bassline buildup, starting from about 00:26, and then suddenly shifting to a faster pace at around 00:50. The baseline continues until the end of the first violin solo, around 02:38, and after that, its tribal full force, until the volin comes in at about the 3 minute mark, but without the pulsing baseline, with everything coalescing back into the theme at 03:36. All in all, its a very solid piece, and would encourage me to get the full album if all the tracks are on par with this one

Here's to another 7 years, and the 30,000 mark :wink:

Great stuff DJP as always. I'm sure yuki would be proud ;) Your string, flute, and drum orchestration was highly developed and thought out. I think, however, that the techno chirpy high hat should have been toned down a bit: it prevents me from listening to this song on my headphones without wincing in some parts.

This is awesome stuff. I always enjoy songs that try to mix techno-ish beats with orchestral intruments, or any other kind, like this mix does. Great job with the strings. And great job on getting OCR to 1500! Keep it up!

wow that was the best writeup off all time haha, seriously though 1500 is here!!! Let me grace it with a quote from Butthead "I have seen the top of the mountain and it is good."

All kidding aside this mix was awesome. The mixing of natural and synthetic instruments was done quite well. The whole mix has originallity written all over it. The instrumentation includes some of my fav instruments. This really has me looking forward to the tales project now.

Woah, this is some pretty amazing stuff. It's pretty dynamic, considering that it starts out with some heavy drums that grabs you attention right away. The overall asian feel I get of this, blended together with good beats and electronic synths, I'm kind of without words here.

The detail I must have liked the most must be the big variety of instruments that this remix contains. My hopes started to increase when I read your writeup about this one, and I'm definitly not disappointed. As I said, it grabs your attention, but it doesn't let go of it either. The part that began at 2:38, where practically all drums got into a cool jungle beat. Awesome.

Been some time since I've listened to a new pretzel piece, I will listen to the project when it comes out too. This is a remix worthy of the place 1500.

My hopes got pretty high when I read "Yuki Kajiura" in your writeup, but I ended up being pretty impressed with the remix anyway - I love the mix of dynamics between the powerful drums, soothing wind instruments, and the gentle picked ones.

It's always good to hear a new djp mix.

I've never even heard of, much less played, this game, but the second I started listening to this, I was hooked. The drums were absolutely fantastic, particularly that bitchin' solo around 2:45 or so. The use of all of those Eastern instruments was instantly apparent and very well done, and I agree that it's reminiscent of some of the tracks from .hack. Nice job, djp. This will join a very small collection of ReMixes that I regularly listen to despite not owning the game. :)

The drums are awesome in this, but I can't say I like the arrangement. It's not that there's anything bad with it, it just doesn't suit my personal taste. The melody just doesn't seem right in this setting to me. I'm so used to the sad (desolate) feeling of the original, and this is certainly an interesting direction to take the piece, just not my favorite. As I said, though, drums are indeed very sweet.

Congrats on 1500!

I've never even heard of, much less played, this game, but the second I started listening to this, I was hooked. The drums were absolutely fantastic, particularly that bitchin' solo around 2:45 or so. The use of all of those Eastern instruments was instantly apparent and very well done, and I agree that it's reminiscent of some of the tracks from .hack. Nice job, djp. This will join a very small collection of ReMixes that I regularly listen to despite not owning the game. :)

I agree with you 100%.

This remix gets a 10/10.

I'm quite familiar with the source material here, seeing as ToP is one of my favorite games for any system. That makes this mix pretty important to me.

Love the percusion work here. It really adds to the ethnic vibe I get from this piece. I can still feel the meloncholoy melody of the original through the strong, pulsating rhythm.

The overall production is solid. I can't find anything to complain about instrumentation wise. I originally thought everything was a little too loud, but then I realized I had my headphones on......

I'm glad I got to hear this sneak preview of the upcoming project. This allays any fear or doubt I had about this thing getting completed.

Hearing Yuki Kajiura I was also anticipating greatly. It has a pretty unique atmosphere after listening several times. It was pretty hard to get into, as the melody seems pretty sparse and non-recognizable. The progression is pretty elongated too, requiring multiple listens, for me anyway. One main complaint is that I don't like buzzy string sample at all. I can try to get over it, but I'd rather have something that isn't so buzzy. It's probably actually a really good sample for what it's trying to emulate, but yeah.

I've played through this game once or twice but I don't recognize this tune. Also I have no idea what a Koan is. Ah what a strange experience of music.

I've listened to your music for a long time and now I've finally registered to thank you for your beautiful music.

This song is already one of my favorites. I really like the Eastern instruments and how you arranged them. Thank you for yet another beautiful song!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01500 - Tales of Phantasia "The Koan of Drums"