OCR03272 - Super Mario World & Castlevania (N64) "Very... Very Wrong Castle"

Liontamer

This is pretty cool. Nice conceptual blend of games. I really like the ebb and flow of the backing via release automation. the drum loop is also fits pretty dang well. The glitching is on point; 3:10-14 brings Go Plastic-era Squarepusher to mind. Ending is a bit lacking though, left me hanging. Overall, nice work!

"YoshiBlade" a new comer to the OCR brings us a his rendition of SMW Castle Theme mixed with Castlevania. I suppose he thinks himself pretty clever with his write up? Using words not doubt gleaned from his Webster's word of the day calendar, throw about with the same grace as a dog who's gotten hold of a dictionary tearing it to shreds! But on to the music, if it can even be called that. We start with a simple expansive pad, almost certainly purchased from a reputable musician, ( I find it rather dubious this young man is capable of that kind of synth design), before we're introduced to a obnoxiously repetitive bass and a small sample of The Castle Center Theme from Castlevania...I bet he seems to think he can hide his hobbled musicianship by playing a small snippet of actual music, rather than utilizing MIDI flies to hide his naked failure as even the most amateur pianist. The voices are actually sampled quite well...were it 1994. As to his use of lead instrument, I'm curious if here is even aware of the difference between a square wave or a sine wave? Or to the proper use of either one?! Then he introduces some more glitchy aspects, though I am having a hard time determining if this is intentional or a product of his total lack of understanding of even the most basic production techniques...Upon hearing these I was granted a small amount of relief, as I thought I received a corrupted copy and thus would have a reason to NOT review this utter swill, however it seems these glitchy aspects are intentional. Or I'm sure he likes to think. I may seem like I'm droning on, but not nearly as droning as his choice of loop, an obvious loop as even the most basic beat structure is as foreign to his ears, this track is to decent taste ...I wonder Mr. YoshiBlade, how much did you spend to on loops to prop up your obvious failings as a musician and human being, hmm? and then we approach a vocal sample Oh-Ho, Yes indeed Mr.YoshiBlade you know how to sample a voice, bravo, Im sure you sat smugly at your computer when you made this, no doubt stroking your overblown ego, with your own brand of praise. Pray Tell, was it difficult to press record than play? Or perhaps you kept forgetting which in which order to do so,hmm? I shan't even waste my time with his piddling ending, no doubt a portent of his career on the OCR short, lackluster and lazy! Let us hope this is the last we hear of this Mr. YoshiBlade. I return to my warm Bree and Burgundian Chablis, disgusted with the depth at which Video Game Remixes have stooped to!

:)!!

Intro is sweet. The drums are simple but very effective. The choir sample is a bit too crappy though haha. Lead synths are very interesting although they make the melodies a tad harder to identify. Section around 2:30 is a bit messy IMO, too many effects and stuff going on makes it hard to focus on something.

Overall, this is very cool. Experimental sounds with a nice (if a bit repetitive) percussion is a cool combination. It does seem to lose focus near the ending though.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03272 - Super Mario World & Castlevania (N64) "Very... Very Wrong Castle"
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, I'm definitely not familiar with the Castlevania 64 stuff, but from what I picked up on the SMW castle bits and working from there for context, it really seems to fit like a glove. The glitchy, distorted atmosphere is what really makes this ReMix to me, it just makes everything seem off until you get that evil sounding "It's-a me" part, and then the images of a Thing-ish Mario succumbing to insanity and evil pop up. Lots of fun in this one, I like it.