NOTICE: Forums upgraded to IPS 4.1.X (report issues)

djpretzel

Just to add the MOBILE version of the site at least in Safari, is amazing. Not to hurt anyone's feelings but the last mobile site on the previous forum software was POOP! I know you didn't make it and it's just what is bundled in, so it's nobody's fault really. But the point is this new one is AWESOME!! I mean I couldn't test it thoroughly because the new software refreshed or removed cookies, so since I don't actually remember my password I've only been able to log in on PC because Chrome saved my passwords... hrm someday.. someday I will hit the "Forgot password?" button and see what happens... 

5 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

Is there a way to make nested lists using the WYSIWIG editor?

Sure.

Make a regular list and start tabbing. Was that what you meant?

• item
    • inner item
      • another inner item
        • nope, not gonna stop making inner items
      • okay, maybe now 'cause there aren't any more new symbols
    • Untab with Shift+Tab
  • And we get back here.

On 12/13/2015 at 2:02 AM, djpretzel said:

OK, that was interesting.  I tried to reply to this topic, but every time I click "quote" or "Reply to this topic" I get the empty quote box above.  And it took me quite a while to figure out how to get my cursor out of it ("Enter" key twice), neither the mouse nor the cursor keys would do it.  I was in fact trying to quote Timaeus.

Anyway, when I'm in a bulleted list and hit the tab key (or Shift+tab), my cursor just leaves the editor box and moves to another field on the page (Submit Reply or the address bar, respectively).

12 minutes ago, MindWanderer said:

Anyway, when I'm in a bulleted list and hit the tab key (or Shift+tab), my cursor just leaves the editor box and moves to another field on the page (Submit Reply or the address bar, respectively).

Yeah, you have to be on a new line before you can press Tab to indent one part of the list.

Oh, I see.  You can only indent one level at a time, and you have to have some text on each line before you can indent the next.  And you can't nest a numbered list inside a bulleted list or vice-versa (you can in BBCode).  Doesn't look like ordering by letter or Roman numeral are options, either, but I'll live.

And I see the quote thing was due to some strange "helpful" thing it was trying to do to keep what I had typed in an incomplete post earlier.  Not sure how I got an empty quote by djp in there, but it's gone now. Had to delete by clicking on the "move" icon in the top-left and then holding it down while pressing the delete key. Bizarre.

I'm not sure if I'm repeatedly being an idiot, but every time I schedule a calendar event to begin or end at noon, it ends up getting changed to midnight the following morning.  The first couple of times I figured I'd made a mistake, but now I'm trying to be very careful about it and it keeps happening.  For instance, CCoI signups are supposed to end January 6 at 12:00 PM, but the event now shows January 7 at 12:00 AM.  I put in a correction (and yay, edits no longer delete the whole event), but it didn't change, although I suppose the change might not have been approved yet (though I put it in yesterday, and usually someone approves it within a few hours).

2 minutes ago, Black_Doom said:

Probably djp had fixed it before you replied here. Dunno, seriously. Now it works for me as well.

Fixed on MY profile, at least :) JK, a fix is in place for artist profiles, SOME of which are cached (server-side) and will need a few hours to clear out entirely... good catch!

6 minutes ago, Anorax said:

I hope we are able to get BB integration back soon.

@Anorax Not 100% sure what you're referring to - which piece?

On 12/13/2015 at 4:52 PM, Mirby said:

Yeah I pointed out the mascot/menu overlap earlier but it must've been passed over lol

When I go to 90% zoom it works out nicely, but at 100% zoom they overlap.

@Mirby & others - might require hard-clearing your cache, but the mascot now kicks in at 1600px+ resolutions... it won't appear for as many users, but it also won't obstruct navigation... full v6 design should hopefully have a better solution for this.

On 12/14/2015 at 11:00 PM, Slimy said:

The threads in the ReMix Comments/Reviews section no longer link to the remixes they are about.

@Slimy This feature has been reinstated, with a nice alert box message that includes a link back to the ReMix. Give it a shot @ http://ocremix.org/community/topic/39634-ocr03029-kirby-super-star-food-frenzy/

On 12/14/2015 at 2:40 PM, MindWanderer said:

Yep, I was about to report the same thing.  It covers part of the search box as well (although that's less of an issue.)

Really missing the ability to enter raw BBCode; I've been using BBCode since before WYSIWIG editors existed, so it's just faster for me, not to mention more versatile.

@MindWanderer First issue addressed, above. Second issue, well... apparently bbcode is still supported in some weird, strange fashion, but not really in a way that would make it particularly useful. I liked having the option, too, but it doesn't seem like it'll be coming back any time soon. However, it's all about the tradeoffs... as mentioned, CKEditor has some definite advantages, and we'll be leveraging it more in the months to come.

9 hours ago, djpretzel said:

@Anorax Not 100% sure what you're referring to - which piece?

I guess the ability to switch from the WYSIWIG editor to a BB Code editor; that's what I had been forced to use with Chrome on these forums up until the board change earlier this year, after which I still used the BB Code editor almost exclusively.

I know this is a design question, so it's more of a "feature" than a bug/issue, but...

Could we please not have 600 pixels of non-content before the actual content of a forum? My laptop has 800 pixels of vertical resolution. The browser and OS eat up 110 of those, so there's not a lot of room for non-content. I'd rather not have to scroll on every page to get to the stuff I clicked a link to get to. I don't know what Invision were thinking, but this design is bloated and apparently made for HDTVs standing on their sides, and I hope it can be customized into something more compact.

I've realized reddit's design is actually really good. I thought it looked cheap and dated when I joined. The noncontent on the front page is about 100 pixels, and then the posts start. It could be fancier, but it can't really be much better in terms of efficiency. 

5 hours ago, Rozovian said:

I know this is a design question, so it's more of a "feature" than a bug/issue, but...

Could we please not have 600 pixels of non-content before the actual content of a forum? My laptop has 800 pixels of vertical resolution. The browser and OS eat up 110 of those, so there's not a lot of room for non-content. I'd rather not have to scroll on every page to get to the stuff I clicked a link to get to. I don't know what Invision were thinking, but this design is bloated and apparently made for HDTVs standing on their sides, and I hope it can be customized into something more compact.

I've realized reddit's design is actually really good. I thought it looked cheap and dated when I joined. The noncontent on the front page is about 100 pixels, and then the posts start. It could be fancier, but it can't really be much better in terms of efficiency. 

We'll work on it. Usually there won't be an announcement ("stuff"), and that's chewing up a good deal of room at the moment. Forum meta can POTENTIALLY be condensed but then you start running up against theme updates when IPS versions the software, as we're using pretty much the verbatim theme, with mostly color adjustments. Site navigation can't really be squished too awful much without getting rid of the mascot, and may actually grow a teency bit with the next site version. Ideally, I'll find a way to merge site navigation with forum navigation, but that's rather difficult.

On 12/15/2015 at 11:13 AM, MindWanderer said:

I'm not sure if I'm repeatedly being an idiot, but every time I schedule a calendar event to begin or end at noon, it ends up getting changed to midnight the following morning.  The first couple of times I figured I'd made a mistake, but now I'm trying to be very careful about it and it keeps happening.  For instance, CCoI signups are supposed to end January 6 at 12:00 PM, but the event now shows January 7 at 12:00 AM.  I put in a correction (and yay, edits no longer delete the whole event), but it didn't change, although I suppose the change might not have been approved yet (though I put it in yesterday, and usually someone approves it within a few hours).

Addendum: I thought I put in a correction.  Apparently it failed because I omitted a "required" field.  This is a problem in two ways.

1. You can't tell that it failed right away--you have to scroll down the page looking for the red text that wasn't there before.
  2. "Calendar" is a required field.  However, when editing an existing event, it defaults to "Select" (i.e. no calendar chosen) and is also disabled.  This makes edits impossible.

• 2 weeks later...