OCR03276 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Madcap Magma"

Liontamer

[16:10:56] <Skrypnyk> djpretzel: http://tindeck.com/listen/zsat <--- that's fxsnowy's original version of the mix
[16:11:13] <Skrypnyk> everything not in that is what I contributed
[16:11:44] <Skrypnyk> tl;dr a bit of rearrangement, scratching, vanilla synths, mixing
[16:12:30] <djpretzel> cool. so the guts are his, you tweaked 'em, mor or less? should chime in on the review thread and spell it out, case peeps are interested

This is pretty cool. It is a bit straightforward, and the drums seem too clean and subdued.. never really gets into monkey business of a more serious nature. The scratching was awesome, and pairing that with the monkey sounds was both funny and musically enjoyable. The thing that seemed most out of place was that bigass bass saw. The non-saw bass itself is, again, pretty dang clean, like, unjustifiably so. Great variation in the sounds and leads, nice use of sound effects... thumbs up from me. :)

After my first listen of this song, my immediate reaction was "I love it, if only because it reminds me of Siamey's 'Tricky Swamp Style.' " TSS is one of my all-time favorite OCRs, netting 196 plays so far. 

It is just a little unorganized in my opinion, but that doesn't lessen the enjoyment any. My favorite part's right around 3:27.

Sweet sampling! Gotta agree with Timaeus; that section feels empty. Afterwards is some nice stuff though. 3:21 is a nice impact. The bass is definitely prominent, but I like the tone it lends to the mix. Definitely a bit experimental like DJP said, but pretty solid.

I didn't feel this one as much as the people above me sadly... The intro rhytm doesn't really grab me. Maybe I'm too used to the original but I don't feel like the rhythm really works with straight 8ths. The saw bass is also too loud for my tastes. The clean one that comes later is a lot more pleasant. I'm not a fan of the monkey and other noises but they're an interesting idea at least haha.

I liked the break at 1:58. It's empty but it works IMO. I felt the lead could've used more reverb or delay in that section though to add more depth. Drum work in this section is also pretty cool.

Overall, it's nicely produced but I felt that it was going nowhere. It's probably not my style though since people above me enjoyed it more.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03276 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Madcap Magma"
  • 2 months later...

Really getting 90's vibes out of this ReMix, almost to a backbeat level with all the sound effects and scratches early on. Strong bass gives it a rougher edge than the original had. Makes me think that this would have been an awesome alternate theme if the Kongs had to go to a part of the volcano where the lava had cooled, like the lava reef in S&K. The arrangement is taken in several different directions so it never seems to stay in one spot too long, keeping it fresh. I like this one quite a bit.