OCR01502 - Final Doom "Milagro del Demonio"

djpretzel

Straight off the bat this is pretty background funky grooving, sort of thing i'd expect from MGS2 music but with more funk. The leads are really smooth. My brain hurts from trying to work out the time signiture. I think its in 7/4 but it doesn't really matter what it is cause it flows well. (Knowing my luck it's probably 4/4 and i'm making an idiot of myself).

Overall i'm liking this. Atmospheric. My one quarrel is that i find it very hard to put the peice into any distinguishable set of sections. I guess thats not a bad thing, but i don't find any areas of it to stand out in particular.

That aside, a welcome addition to my "everything" playlist.

While listening to this, I thought it might pick up as it progressed. It did, but not as much I had anticipated; to great response. This is a great song to keep as background rather than overtake your senses. Very nice funk to it. I always love Orihalcon's work.

Mmm, love the Doom tracks, especially when TO's in on them. This one, I noticed, definently has a similar feel to Clairvoyant Elergy and River Styx (both TO favorites), it's laid-back, yet keeps you on the edge of your seat, like somethings about to happen. Calm, yet intense. This can also be said for a lot of the music from the Doom series (in my experience), so I'm sure the source material has a hand in it as well.

P.S. Are you the one who has his name stated simply as 'TO' on other mixes? On and off OCremix?

Yes, I changed to The Orichalcon since "TO" was pulling up other artists on last.fm. I'll still release mixes under "TO" on sites other than OC ReMix.

Cool. Even though I lost a lot of remixes from my old computer crashing and reformating multiple times over the past 3 years. I still re-download FF6 'Haunted Train Disco' from here and Descent Level Six from some random site.

Love those mixes man, keep 'em coming. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This works really well as background music, as there are lots of layers and no single element stands out. The time signature keeps it very interesting, and the rhythms used by the drums are great.

The synths are well chosen, and the soundfield is expansive, but that isn't really surprising, as TO definitely knows what he is doing in that respect.

I frequently bag on the Doom soundtracks (and metroid) because it just seems generic to me (though maybe it's because of the constant exposure to it I got through my lame midi soundcard back in the day), but it seems that every Doom mix TO ends up doing, I really like.

Check it out, you'll like it.

• 11 months later...

I've had this on my PC for a while, and my playcount tells me I've heard it a couple of times, but I honestly don't remember it. I think this is for a couple of reasons: It's hookless and it's very under the radar. Obviously, I've heard when my playlist was on random whilst playing TF2 and never even noticed it. Hence why people label it background music. It gets you to from A to B without thinking too much about it.

ANYWAY, now that I've actually given it some attentive listening, it's pretty damn nice. A pleasant, mellow Doom track still refuses to make sense as a concept in my mind, but I guess that's what it is. No socks get blown off over this one. But socks on or off (socks on ftw!), it's enjoyable.

Oh and keep representing Australia, TO. It may not be the greatest country, but together we sure can create the illusion of it being so.

• 6 years later...

A vibe that's both creeping and chilling? Yeah, I'm totally down with it. The 7/4 time sig brings a new level of tension to the source thanks to the bass guitar chipping away at the first few notes. Every so often (e.g. 0:54) there's a double-noted and reverbed riff to punctuate the last beats of a measure while leading into the next - this adds both character and cohesion to the mix. I also appreciate the change-ups to it, like the brief off-sounding tease at 2:18/2:19 to keep the listener on their toes. 1:19 and 3:03 ramp up the latent vigor in the latter part of the source to make it a bright kind of chill. And of course the crisp percussion and glistening synths contribute to the smooth listening experience.

Groove-tastic-errific.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01502 - Final Doom "Milagro del Demonio"