Undertale Remix Album

Allx360

I have to ask what your plan is to juggle the three albums you've started recruiting for... as someone who's directed and seen an album through to completion in the past, it took 3 years of constant effort in planning, recruiting, critiquing, and coordinating to get it done. To be blunt, you don't have much of a history with this community and from my perspective, you've posted several times starting up a remix project without really putting any thought into a cohesive tracklist, a theme or style for the album, or recruiting anywhere else within the community.

Not to say that just posting a thread to gauge interest is against the rules or anything, but I've been down this road before and it literally consumed my life for 3 years while I was working on the Donkey Kong Country 3 project alone. Three albums at once is an insane and unmanageable undertaking for anyone, let alone someone who is pretty new to the community. It's not as simple as finding a nice soundtrack and waiting for the music to roll in. Not by any stretch.

I don't want to discourage you if you really are serious about working on a community album project, but based on the fact that you've started up 3 separate projects over the past month, I get the feeling you haven't thought through just how much of a commitment it is. And at the very least, if you are going to do that, to be successful you really need to put a bit more effort into your post than you have here or on your other two projects, or work on establishing yourself in the community a bit more first.

I'm sorry to be a dick but I feel like you need a bit of a reality check when it comes to the album projects you're starting. Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds and you understand where I'm coming from!

What Emu said, basically. The album I directed was the fruit of a year and a half of hard labor, and wouldn't have been possible without the many relationships I'd built over the course of my tenure here at OCR. Mine was a short album, too, by OCR standards, and it was still intense enough that I'm being very careful about how I approach my next directorial effort. The Undertale OST is certainly a fabulous one, but just gauging interest isn't going to get it done, and you don't want to lock up people's time if you're not deadly serious about following things through. Definitely don't direct more than one album at a time, either.

Thanks for the input. Don't worry, I'm not looking to direct more then more then one at a time. I understand your concerns, Right now most of the albums I was looking at making mostly fell through. What I'll do is that the album that the most people are interested in will be the album I edit the other posts when that time comes. Like I've said before I see so much creativity in this community so that is why I wanted to start those albums. I'm sorry that this caused a lot of confusion. 

Anyways. If you have listened to the undertale soundtrack for long enough you will hear that there are many reoccurring melodies in the songs. I'd love for that to influence the direction of the album.  

I was going to post something along the lines of Emunator but felt I didn't have the cred to do so, but I'm glad someone spoke up. I'm all for these projects myself and I do hope they see completion one day, however, considering I'm a literal 'nobody' in the OCRemix scene, I am myself fighting a uphill battle to get Skies of Arcadia finished. All things considered, we got a bunch of WIPs already in, a bunch of tracks claimed and less than half of the core track list left to be claimed with about 7 remixers saying their time will free up early 2016 for this! Honestly, I'd call that a success even if it isn't anywhere near halfway done. But I will reiterate a point from Flexstyle, you need to be serious about following through and I intend to do just that. For example, all those who I PM'd and who have read my PM but never responded negative or positively to it, I'll be PM'ing them again start of the new year. Those who said to check back in with them in 2016, I made a list and will be doing so as well. I'll also PM anyone who will have (hopefully not!!!) missed the New Year's deadline for WIP 1 and coordinate a new one for them or enter discussion if they still want to be onboard or not. Its tough being director and gathering people together for a common goal. It takes someone who is focused and has a clear vision what they want from each track without detracting from the remixer's style and genre they'd like to take it to. I had more but its late and I'm tired but I do wish you the best of luck in any of your first directorial debuts! Honestly? If Skies of Arcadia gets done and no one has started a Final Fantasy 8 album, I will SO head that one up! lol XD

1 hour ago, Darkflamewolf said:

I was going to post something along the lines of Emunator but felt I didn't have the cred to do so, but I'm glad someone spoke up. I'm all for these projects myself and I do hope they see completion one day, however, considering I'm a literal 'nobody' in the OCRemix scene, I am myself fighting a uphill battle to get Skies of Arcadia finished. All things considered, we got a bunch of WIPs already in, a bunch of tracks claimed and less than half of the core track list left to be claimed with about 7 remixers saying their time will free up early 2016 for this! Honestly, I'd call that a success even if it isn't anywhere near halfway done. But I will reiterate a point from Flexstyle, you need to be serious about following through and I intend to do just that. For example, all those who I PM'd and who have read my PM but never responded negative or positively to it, I'll be PM'ing them again start of the new year. Those who said to check back in with them in 2016, I made a list and will be doing so as well. I'll also PM anyone who will have (hopefully not!!!) missed the New Year's deadline for WIP 1 and coordinate a new one for them or enter discussion if they still want to be onboard or not. Its tough being director and gathering people together for a common goal. It takes someone who is focused and has a clear vision what they want from each track without detracting from the remixer's style and genre they'd like to take it to. I had more but its late and I'm tired but I do wish you the best of luck in any of your first directorial debuts! Honestly? If Skies of Arcadia gets done and no one has started a Final Fantasy 8 album, I will SO head that one up! lol XD

Love your enthusiasm, best of luck to your project! 

• 1 month later...

The thing about albums is that if you really like a game and its soundtrack, you should commit to doing the album for that game.. not asking if people are interested and posting a few different album ideas, etc etc... because people will start to see a pattern of stuff not happening and they'll question the validity of the project you eventually decide on.. what's to stop you from being like "Undertale is old hat now.. hey this new game just dropped, wow this song is cool! hey you guys wanna do an album for this!?"

I also disagree on choosing something popular to do 'just because'. Even if you choose something that isn't really popular, you can still find people who care about that music as much as you should (if you're doing an album for it).. pick something that really appeals to you on a personal level, and follow it through. That's more important than gauging interest in a bunch of things and deciding to do what other people like the most. <_< but what do I know, I'm crazy!

On 10.02.2016 at 8:18 AM, Brandon Strader said:

The thing about albums is that if you really like a game and its soundtrack, you should commit to doing the album for that game.. not asking if people are interested and posting a few different album ideas, etc etc... because people will start to see a pattern of stuff not happening and they'll question the validity of the project you eventually decide on.. what's to stop you from being like "Undertale is old hat now.. hey this new game just dropped, wow this song is cool! hey you guys wanna do an album for this!?"

I also disagree on choosing something popular to do 'just because'. Even if you choose something that isn't really popular, you can still find people who care about that music as much as you should (if you're doing an album for it).. pick something that really appeals to you on a personal level, and follow it through. That's more important than gauging interest in a bunch of things and deciding to do what other people like the most. <_< but what do I know, I'm crazy!

this

7 hours ago, Slimy said:

Sorry and better luck next time?

I suppose that's the problem with trying to do an album for a popular game that just came out.

What's the problem? The LBC Undertale album is happening regardless of what goes on in this thread. My co-writers and I have already completed 6 arrangements and will be closing in on 10 very soon, with more to come. I've enjoyed your Undertale work, but I don't think its existence disqualifies anyone from making anything else \_(ツ)_/

...unless you were commenting on the state of this thread specifically haha. Good use of the word flounder.

5 hours ago, LongBoxofChocolate said:

What's the problem? The LBC Undertale album is happening regardless of what goes on in this thread. My co-writers and I have already completed 6 arrangements and will be closing in on 10 very soon, with more to come. I've enjoyed your Undertale work, but I don't think its existence disqualifies anyone from making anything else \_(ツ)_/

...unless you were commenting on the state of this thread specifically haha. Good use of the word flounder.

I'm not disqualifying all Undertale albums everywhere, just complaining about this one. I'm actually rather confused now - have you taken over production of the album from the OP? This is a thread for gauging interest, yet you seem to be working on it yourself? Anyways, I would have enjoyed contributing songs to an Undertale album when I was making those remixes, but this thread hasn't seemed to have gone anywhere, so I was generally disappointed.

Ok, let me back the truck up. To clarify: LongBoxofChocolate is a band led by myself and @HankTheSpankTankJankerson...I may start using a personal account to avoid future confusion.

8 hours ago, Slimy said:

have you taken over production of the album from the OP?

No, we are directing our own album project - independent of whatever is or isn't happening here. We created and submitted our plan/concept in the first half of December.

8 hours ago, Slimy said:

This is a thread for gauging interest, yet you seem to be working on it yourself?

I did not want to make a thread because most of our writing is done in-house, and recruiting is something we'd like to handle on a per-song basis, as the need arises. That being said, I commented here thinking that people might like to know that something was being worked on since OP's idea did not seem to be getting off the ground. I may have made the message too cryptic in my own excitement, but I don't feel that it was inappropriate to post here.

Hopefully this clears things up.

Edited by LongBoxofChocolate
a word

To Capitalize on what @LongBoxofChocolate (Manny) is saying, we are about 10 tunes deep into this album as far as writing goes.  Parts are getting prepared. We have plans to release a couple of singles, we even have concept art and liner notes. We aren't just firing into the air on this one. We did not feel another thread was necessary

On 2/10/2016 at 2:18 AM, Brandon Strader said:

pick something that really appeals to you on a personal level, and follow it through. That's more important than gauging interest in a bunch of things and deciding to do what other people like the most. <_< but what do I know, I'm crazy!

You aren't crazy, @Brandon Strader. You gotta love something before you are willing to put 1000+ hours into it. I didn't quite know what I was getting into when Manny came to me and our producer with the Undertale album concept, but I am sure glad I said yes. I love the Wagnerian themes Toby Fox uses throughout this thing, and I am having so much fun developing them as they come along.

Manny and I are going to see this thing through, and I want to make it clear - our commitment to getting it done.  Again, reiterating that we ARE INDEED working on our Undertale Album.

6 hours ago, Allx360 said:

negative responses

I see it more as cautionary advice. In my experience, people want direction, and sometimes gauging interest alone isn't enough to get something started. Learning how to further express and articulate your ideas will go a long way!

I know you have good intentions. So don't give up*, and best of luck with Earthbound!
*is this where I make a Determination pun?

11 hours ago, LongBoxofChocolate said:

I see it more as cautionary advice. In my experience, people want direction, and sometimes gauging interest alone isn't enough to get something started. Learning how to further express and articulate your ideas will go a long way!

I know you have good intentions. So don't give up*, and best of luck with Earthbound!
*is this where I make a Determination pun?

Thanks, I feel like I have more passion for earthbound anyways so I'd rather put my all into that. Best of luck to your project as well.