*NO* Minecraft 'The Nether Struggle'

Emunator

Hi there, 

I'd like to submit my Minecraft track to the site. 

Submission Info
- Minecraft
- The Nether Struggle
- Ballad of the Cats (Minecraft Nether 4)
- Composed by C418
- Original track can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSTsYCojV2w (takes a while to start as a lot of it is atmospheric)
- This is an instrumental progressive metal remix of one of my favourite tracks that plays when you enter the Nether in Minecraft. It's so intense and has 
   a huge build up and I just love stuff like that so it was a huge amount of fun to mess around with it and see what came out!

Contact Info
- Celestial Fury
- Alasdair Cooper
- Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Coopieification (Username Celestial Fury)
- UserID: 32482

Link to my track via Dropbox: 

Hope you enjoy it!

Best wishes,

Alasdair

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I dug the post-rock style introduction. It set a very optimistic mood for the track, and I thought it was cool how you took a sharp left turn into some darker, djent-y territory.

My biggest complaint with this track is that the rhythm guitar is so totally dominant that it pretty much overpowers everything else in the track. It's mixed very dry and has almost no synergy with the backing ambiance, which, as far as I can tell, is the element that is overtly referencing the source. The mixing needs a lot more TLC to get everything gelling so that the rhythm guitars aren't the only thing commanding any attention here.

Generally, after the first 50 seconds it doesn't seem like there's much direction to the arrangement, either. The original track is very ambient and free-form, but I think you need to do more expansion with this idea than just riffing rhythm guitar chords over an ambient loop.

Really cool concept here, but the execution is falling short in my opinion. I'd love to see this back, but it would need to be substantially reworked on both the mixing and arrangement front.

NO

• 5 weeks later...
  • Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/05/26 - (2N) Minecraft 'The Nether Struggle'
  • 3 weeks later...

As with the others, I'm enjoying the atmosphere you have going on here.

The guitars are one of the primary challenges you have with this mix. Dry tone aside, they are simply too dominant and mixed too loud compared to the rest of the track elements. The ambient backing parts sometimes feel out of time with the rhythm of the rest of the piece, which was distracting. Your drums also have a difficult time maintaining relevance and need to be bumped up, as they're lost in the mix.

Arrangement wise I think this needs more direction. The same guitar ideas are used throughout, and the mix doesn't progress past these initial ideas. There also doesn't feel like there is any discernible outro to this piece. This is a shame because there are some great sounds here but the arrangement needs to be refined, tightened up and mixed appropriately.

NO