Nintendo Wii Shop (Hip Hop Remix)

Smooth4lyfe1987

I like the hiphop sections a lot. The melody of the flute or high melody sounds a little weird though...I can't get a hold what the underlaying chords are or should be.
Sounds like jazz btw.
The beat mixes well with the atmosphere of a shop. Good work on that. Also on the sound of your instruments altogether. They fit well with each other.(except the flute, sorry)

I'll echo T-Ape's sentiments a bit. Intro sounds empty since none of the instruments takes the "lead" and it feels like everything is floating without a solid base. The flute is clearly playing similar notes to the source, but the lack of the harmonies present in the source makes it sound thin. The strings is also playing loose notes so it sounds thin too. Finally, the bass is playing some pretty random notes, even going off-key at 0:18 and a few other moments.

The mix gets noticeable better at 0:28 when the percussion and different synth kicks in. It's now much easier to follow what the song is supposed to be! Since the bass loops is repeated here you can still listen to some off-key notes.

Overall, this is a pretty true to the source mix (which is a great source by the way!). I honestly feel the flute doesn't work currently since it's simply too thin to carry such a sparse soundscape. Besides, the melodies it plays don't feel very focused and almost seem like random notes. I feel you could add to this by having the string synths do more noticeable chords or something to guide the listener. Besides, having some chords there could help it make more unique when compared to the source.

I didn't get to hear the first version of this so I'll comment solely on this version (it might be worth keeping all versions of your mix listed in the first post so others can compare any changes that have been made).

I love the beat and bassline; very smooth and flowing. The strings you've used to pad out the soundscape work very well and add some much needed body to the mix. The leads however sound very MIDI-ish and don't mesh very well with the rest of the track. The flute that comes in at 02:16 sounds very thin (as jnWake mentioned above) and to be honest I don't think it has much of a place in this mix at all. Personally I'd experiment with different leads and find something to replace the flute, maybe some reverbed keys or maybe even something arpeggio'd to change up the notes a little.

This track definitely has potential based on the rhythm section and strings, just need something to apply to the lead sections.

7 hours ago, Trism said:

I didn't get to hear the first version of this so I'll comment solely on this version (it might be worth keeping all versions of your mix listed in the first post so others can compare any changes that have been made).

I love the beat and bassline; very smooth and flowing. The strings you've used to pad out the soundscape work very well and add some much needed body to the mix. The leads however sound very MIDI-ish and don't mesh very well with the rest of the track. The flute that comes in at 02:16 sounds very thin (as jnWake mentioned above) and to be honest I don't think it has much of a place in this mix at all. Personally I'd experiment with different leads and find something to replace the flute, maybe some reverbed keys or maybe even something arpeggio'd to change up the notes a little.

This track definitely has potential based on the rhythm section and strings, just need something to apply to the lead sections.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah as for the lead, I tried to keep it to the original wii shop sound in the original version which also sounded kinda MIDI-ish, didnt want to change it that much

And yeah the flute, it was in the beginning, middle, and end, but I removed it from the beginning and middle and left it at the end. I was thinking of removing it altogether but I left it at the end because it was a light sound for the ending of the song if that makes sense. I probably should have just removed it, but ah well